back to article Down but not out: Flash in an HTML5 world

Anyone hoping to pronounce Flash dead as Adobe transitions to the brave new HTML 5 world will have been disappointed, based on the company's MAX Conference last week. That said, there is evidence of a partial transition towards HTML. The big story in this respect is Adobe's acquisition of Nitobi, creators of the PhoneGap tool …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DrXym

At some point

Adobe or someone else will produce tools which spit out the HTML5 equivalent of Flash anims. I expect when it happens that people will discover that performance and stability is as godawful as it is with Flash. Worse probably since the JS / content will be take longer to download and will be in contention with other JS code residing in the page.

2. Alan Denman

Funny how it has gone full circle with Flash now seen as a saviour of the web

APPS are where certain device makers now have full corporate control.

So if we want the web to stay significant and under consumer control Flash needs to play a good part.

3. mraak
    FAIL

Mercedes?

So, Adobe went from advertising itself as Mercedes, to someone that's not even capable of producing a windshield, they had to acquire obscure* company that's producing a copy of Mercedes's windshield, to be able to cling to a market they want to operate in.

Mercedes in the above analogy would be cutting edge multimedia toolset, for robust and elegant driving in the wast and unknown territory.

* Obscure in size and tradition, not in talent obviously

4. Tom Chiverton 1
    Linux

Umm

You didn't mention that Flash 11's 3D stuff isn't hardware accelerated on Linux, so it runs like a dog in software.

AIR3 is also not available for Linux.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As always, use the right tool for the job

And it may be that the right tool is not Flash so much these days, but it still has it's place.

Fine by me.

6. Tom 38

Eeek

Adobe are planning web-loadable native code plugins for AIR. I can't think of anything more scary than an Adobe implemented version of ActiveX.

If Adobe stuck to creating tools that produced open standards compliant JS and CSS the world would be a better place. It would be better for Adobe as well, as they would stop being the first entry point for all targeted phishing.

Stevie J wasn't right about everything, but with Flash he was bang on - it needs to die.

7. Alan Denman

The Dinosaur rocks?

I can't see the point of software engineers being forced to yabba dabba do because Apple say so.

iBuyers may claim happiness with their time warp trips to the stone age but the rest of the world still moves forward.

8. Unlimited
    WTF?

Breaking News!

Macromedia development tools supporting both HTML and Flash! Shock!

Oh wait, they have since forever.

9. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I'm pronouncing unfolding maps nearly dead.

What next, a rotary phone dialer f‡or your Android? No, I haven't looked. Hmm, a project. I've decided to learn Java, you see.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like