back to article Gay-bashing cult plans picket of Steve Jobs funeral

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) have announced their intention to protest at the funeral of Steve Jobs, in a Twitter message sent via an iPhone. The group, best known for their rainbow "God hates fags" signs and web page, are claiming the action is in response to Jobs not using his wealth to promote their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Moore
    Thumb Down

So scumbags being scumbags again...

I really hope a load of the Apple Faithful give them a really hard time.

1. goats in pajamas

I really hope a load of the Apple Faithful give them a really hard time.

By tutting loudly in their vicinity?

By getting annoyed and posting some nasty words on teh intaweb?

Oh please.

One presumes the church has run out of money (or is about to), so they'll crash the funeral (if they can find out where it is) and hold up some offensive signs in the hope that someone will tell them to clear off, leading to them suing for restriction of free speech.

Of all the people in need of a serious thrashing, it's the Westboro people. Their abuse of scripture is nauseating in the extreme. Only in America...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Why don't some brightly clothed individuals stand next to these twats, with a sign pointing to them saying something like

'I don't agree with these ignorant twats - they're pond scum and God hates them for their intolerant ways'

Let's see how they like free speech then.

1. hplasm
          Devil

godhatesmarlborobaptistchurch.com

anybody?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

Marlboro baptist church

... is made up of a congregation of very heavy smokers.

2. Toastan Buttar
            Pint

Marlboro?

God hates fags?

Ciggies and beer.

2. Dana W
          Meh

They do counterprotest. A LOT.

Google them, the counter protesters often outnumber them by several hundred percent. They ridicule them, and they LOVE it.

The WB church is fishing for lawsuits and media attention and LOVE controversy and attention. Most of them are lawyers, they are hoping that Apple will in some way interfere so they can sue them for many millions of dollars. And given ANY excuse they will.

3. sheep++;
          Thumb Up

Sir...

Well said Sir.

2. steward
        Pirate

Military people are regimented. Apple fans certainly aren't.

WBC may find out that it's rather difficult to mail a lawsuit from the grave.

3. Dropper

Free Speach

A person's free-speech rights are only violated if a government body, say the police, force them to stop protesting on public land. Private security are absolutely allowed to physically remove protesters from private property. The problem with soldier's funerals is that they are indeed often buried on public/government owned land, which presents a problem for those soldier's families.

Presumably Steve Jobs will be buried at a cemetery owned by a private organisation and that means the company that owns the property can use hired security personnel to protect the dignity of families. In the US cemeteries are usually owned by private companies and as long as that is the case, it is perfectly legal for them to protect their private property from trespassers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

really hard time

in the appropriate orifice

2. Zebo-the-Fat
    Unhappy

Interesting!

Interesting how this group "knows what god hates"

If he "hates" a group of people then why did he create them??

All knowing, all powerful, all made up??

1. goats in pajamas

Ignorance

The common theme all the way through the Bible is "God loves the sinner but hates his sin".

So when these retards hold up signs saying "God hates fags", He doesn't. The Westboro people are just provocative idiots with no humility, no love for their fellowman, total disobedience to what scipture instructs Christians to be like and a good working knowledge of the American legal system.

One might venture to say "God hates the Westboro Church" because they trash His Name left, right and center.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@goats in pajamas

There is no evidence to prove that there is any god to hate (or lave) anything.

1. steward
          FAIL

There is no evidence to prove

that an anonymous coward is not a Turing bot.

2. Big-nosed Pengie
        FAIL

'The common theme all the way through the Bible is "God loves the sinner but hates his sin"'?

Clearly you've been reading a very different version of the Bible to the one I've been reading. In mine, God *really* hates the sinner, and visits his retribution unto the seventh generation. He's all for slaughter, rape, pillage and general mayhem - the more the better. He thinks nothing of slaughtering (presumably) innocent babes and children.

As far as "God hates fags" is concerned, I'd say they're absolutely right. He commands us to kill any man who lies with a man as you would like with a woman, just as He commands us to kill any woman who is not a virgin on her wedding night.

If you call yourself a Christian, you'd better get a-stonin' fast before He returns or you'll be in deep shit.

1. Jedit Silver badge
          FAIL

If you're a Christian...

... then you've read the New Testament at some point. So yeah, I guess they are reading a very different version of the Bible to yours - one published in the last 2000 years, for a start.

3. JustMathew
        Joke

Umm..

No, they are right, God does hate fags. God used to smoke 20 a day but can't stand them now...

2. Scorchio!!

Re: Interesting!

"Interesting how this group "knows what god hates"

If he "hates" a group of people then why did he create them??

All knowing, all powerful, all made up??"

But how could any putative god hate any part of its creation? Would that not be tantamount to hating itself, or at least the fruits of its labour?

3. Thomas 4

More to the point

If God hates the world and its people (ok, the second one I can kinda sympathise with), He really has no-one to blame but Himself.

1. sheep++;
        Happy

Ooh Thomas 4... Dangerous ground

Lightning may strike twice :-) Don't shelter under any trees or fly a kite.

4. Richard Scratcher
      Megaphone

It's all in the good book

Below are examples of Leviticus 18:22 in "the bible" where most christian nutjobs get their authority to oppress others. The source text is the same for all versions of the bible but the variety of wording shows that it can be retranslated to better suit a particular point of view. Christ never said anything about homosexuality but he was a busy man and can't be expected to remember everything.

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

"It is disgusting for a man to have sex with another man."

"No man is to have sexual relations with another man; God hates that."

"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin."

I think the best way to deal with these trolls is to ignore them or laugh at them.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Thumb Up

@Richard Scratcher

The first of your translations is pretty much the accurate one; I've seen it commented before that the only things referred to as abominations in the Bible are homosexuality and the Anti-Christ. I'm not sure if that's true, but I think it shows that some people take things a teensy bit far.

Personally I think the late author David Eddings had it right when one of his characters commented, "Isn't it convenient that the prejudices of God always so closely match those of His prophets?" And if there's one thing God indubitably does hate, it's people who presume to speak for Him.

1. Richard Scratcher

@Jedit

All of those translations were from English versions on the bible I found on biblegateway.com

The first translation was from the King James version but there are another 28 English versions on their site! No doubt each one put its own spin on Bronze Age thinking.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All in the good book?

Seems to me that its gone through so many hundreds, or even thousands of years of translation and interpretation, that much like a horoscope you can conveniently read into it whatever you like.

And besides, there's an awful lot else in Leviticus that is generally ignored by modern Christians. Have a quick peek at the sort of dietary rules that Jews are supposed to follow, for example. But I guess picketing restaurants with GOD HATES SHELLFISH plackards isn't quite as likely to be taken seriously.

(incidentally, one interpretation of the various bits of biblical controversy would suggest that only the act of bumsex with men is bad, but everything else is just fine. knock yourselves out.)

1. Alan 43

Hmm some of the Levitican laws are specific Jewish commandments such as not eating shellfish and pork (because they carry diseases - pigs are full of worms and shellfish are filter feeders full of germs - unless cooked properly)

3. Mostor Astrakan
        Devil

Y'know...

I've always wondered. Because gay men do not, actually, lie with mankind as they would lie with womankind. They lie with mankind as they would with *other* mankind. And of course, lesbian women don't lie with mankind at all.

Or am I now being too Bible literalist myself?

4. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Two points, two flats, and a packet of gravel.

Are members of Westboro Baptist Church wearing clothes made of two different kinds of material?

- Leviticus 19:19: Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material.

Quick, stone them to death

1. Alan 43

isn`t that Levitican law God`s commandment to the Jews?

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shamelessly ripped off

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law... When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

4. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put death, should I do it or should I ask the police to do it?

5. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Aren't there 'degrees' of abomination?

6. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20 or is there a little wiggle room there?

7. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

8. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

9. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

6. stuff and nonesense
        Devil

Also in Leviticus - Don't wear poly cotton shirts...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+19%3A19&version=NIV

How many priests and zealots are guilty of the above....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Westboro Baptist Church

Is there anything these idiots WON'T protest about?

I think they should try to build a better reputation for themselves by just doing nothing except having church on Sundays!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its a legal scam

They protest, someone reacts, they sue over their "Legal rights". Profit!.

As i cant imagine anyone actually hiring Fred Phelps' kids legal practice, and they seem to have quite a turnover, obviously quite a profitable one.

2. Ian McNee
      Alert

That's a rhetorical question, right?

The only reason we know about this tiny insignificant bunch of mindless haters is that media types have wet dreams about them and punt them to the front page: a symbiotic relationship between two groups of people who share a similarly slender grip on reality.

4. ZankerH
    Go

Oh boy...

I hope they do show up. I expect they'll swiftly get mauled to death by an army of rabid apple fans.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You'd have thought that this was a far more likely outcome at the funeral of a soldier.

5. tantiboh

WBC is shameful, but what you have to remember about them is that it's really nothing more than a business. They use tactics designed to inflame and incite, then sue when somebody snaps and becomes physically violent. It's their source of income.

These people aren't representative of even the right-wing fringe. They're simply a group of scam artists.

1. PassiveSmoking
      FAIL

New Tactics

In that case, I hope the counterprotesters can come up with something non-violent and utterly humiliating for these morons to deal with.

1. Naughtyhorse

i disagree

kill them

kill them all...with fire

and kill them again

1. david wilson

>>"kill them all...with fire"

Well, technically, by what they claim to believe, that would be perfectly OK, since /anyone/ who dies shows that God hates them - there's no such thing as a wrongful death.

It'd be interesting (and possibly entertaining) to see if they *still* claimed to believe that when someone stepped forward to light the woodpile under them

2. Figgus

Kill them all..

I'm suprised nobody has showed up to protest their protests (or even their church)... From 800 yards away... in a gilly suit... with a sniper rifle....

Then the public at large could show up to protest one if THEIR funerals for a change. I'd go.

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Thumb Up

Car trouble

I understand they've been having a lot of car trouble, lately.

They drive to the site of their protest in a couple of vehicles, which they park some distance from the protest site.

When they complete their protest, they return to their vehicles, only to find all the tires flattened.

Even worse, there seem to be no tow services able to assist.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So I guess the Westboro Baptists are not Christians!

They show no compassion, caring or charity to Mr Jobs' family in their pursuit of publicity. Shame on them and the ungodly man who claims to be their pastor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No true scotsman eh?

The only requirement being being considered "Christian" is belief in Jesus.

The bottom line has very little to do with morality, but salvation through grace... the good deeds are very much optional and denomination dependent.

Who's to say that they don't sincerely think that they're doing "good works", after all, some religious leaders thinks they're doing Africans a favor with awful advice on family planning and STDs.

Let's not kid ourselves; even the mildest protoylser who takes john 3:16 seriously is passing on a veiled threat; compliance or damnation. The westboro mob are just taking it one step further by stating the perceived terms of compliance, and the consequences of disobedience. It's plenty godly in an old testament way; although not very jesus-like and not good PR.

1. Mediocrates

Being "Christian"

"The only requirement being being considered "Christian" is belief in Jesus."

In James 2:19 it says that even the demons believe and they tremble in terror. Clearly belief is not enough, one must also follow.

1. DT

Belief without following does not compute

What you're logically suggesting is the the opposite of Pascal's wager. "Devils" and the odd satanist must be just about the only ones who both know that Jesus offering salvation is real, yet choose to damn themselves by not following him.

Claiming that the westboro mob aren't Christians, either requires psychic powers to be able to say they're not being sincere... or divine knowledge of the will of God to able to say that they aren't following him correctly.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Claiming that the westboro mob aren't Christians, either requires psychic powers to be able to say they're not being sincere... or divine knowledge of the will of God to able to say that they aren't following him correctly."

Or, you know, the ability to read. What you say is only correct if we take the position that nothing in the NT's reporting of Jesus' words is reliable. But at that point we have to then question whether the claim of his existence is reliable.

IF Jesus existed AND the NT reports are reasonably accurate, THEN we can say that he laid down some requirements which can be used as tests as to whether someone is following his teachings or not.

In that light, I think it's pretty reasonable to say that WBC are not Christians, although they probably could qualify as some sort of extreme jewish sect as they're very big on the OT. But the whole point of Jesus is supposed to be that the OT is not the only requirement and, in fact, is out of date in several important areas (mostly involving revenge). If you don't accept that this is a fundamental point that divides Christians from other groups then what you're really saying is that there is no such thing as a Christian at all (which brings us back to the first schism in the religion, but that's another story).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Twit

Look up the definition of "threat" and then tell us how it applies to John 3:16. Hint: It doesn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not looking very carefully?

"whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"

Threat: statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not.

In this case the tacit implication is that you will perish if you don't believe.

The threat is expanded upon by Jesus himself with comments about "wailing and gnashing of teeth", along with of course, the colorful language and imagery conjured up by various different churches re: the devil, hell, purgatory.

As Eddie Izzard said about the CoE: "cake or death?"

Put in other words: “salvation is an attempt to solve a problem of its own making — sin is just a concept from the teaching, like a doctor running around cutting people with a knife in order to sell them a Band Aid.”

1. Alan 43

erm no sorry , the pain and suffereing is the default position so it is not a statement of intent. "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus CHrist Our Lord"

3. Piloti
        Meh

A belief in jesus... ?

I am not even sure that is correct to be honest. A hatred of others [other religions, other life styles, other sexual preferences et al ] , a hatred of those with the ability to think freely and rationally very often seem to rank higher than some possibly imaginary and possibly beardy chap in dress.

The American conservative, right wing bible belters are not unique , but are a prime example of the levels of intolerance required to be a true christian.

And before anybody complains, I am a Chris Hitchens style Anti-theist. Without the intellect of Hitch of course. But then again, who has...... ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Piloti

"a prime example of the levels of intolerance required to be a true christian."

Sorry, doesn't match my experience. As a kid my dad taught me all people and religions should be respected, he's a minister and missionary no less. The main message of christianity is that god loves all people, regardless of what they believe or do.

I find it ironic and amusing that you need to push forward your false, caricatured and prejudiced image of christians and christianity. Very tolerant of you.

2. Alan 43

hmm yet the stats show that right wing conservative christian give more time and money to charity than left wing christians and agnostics / atheists

4. TeeCee Gold badge

Yup. Three words: The Holy Inquisition. Definately "Christian" with a big "C" that.

I suppose I could also mention the Crusades, the Maleus Maleficorum and the Witch Hunts, the "English Martyrs" and other stuff in that vein.

I suppose that by the OPs standards, Christianity has a long and chequered record of not being, er, Christian.

5. Naughtyhorse
        Joke

"Christian" is belief in Jesus.

i take it you have never met an aglican then :-)

2. BasevaInc
      Devil

Looks like you have been visited by a WBC with a thumbs down ! haha !

3. Atonnis
      FAIL

Hang on...

Let's not get into a debate about what Christians are...there are plenty of people who will tear you to pieces (verbally). Suffice to say that, technically, these people can declare themselves to be Christians.

These people may be ar*ehats, but there is no difference in them declaring what your deity hates and you declaring them as 'ungodly'.

4. Anon E Mus
      Trollface

They probably are

It's just that they're louder than your average christian.

1. Captain TickTock
        Trollface

Louder than your average christian?

They are merkin, after all.

5. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

I agree....

As a God-botherer myself, I can't find one person in any of the churches I frequent who can begin to support any of the actions taken by these. Every time I see a sign saying "God Hates Fags", I get so frustrated. Really? Does He? Really?????

There was a documentary on UK TV some months ago (Louis Theroux if my memory serves me) and watching it with the missus, we just couldn't understand how they can believe in the Biblical Jesus while doing the things they do.

Jesus doesn't hate homosexuals, but I dare say that He hates compassionless aggravation, humiliation and taunting of the sick, the infirm, the dead, families of the dead or any group of people, whether they be a minority or a majority.

Interestingly, Proverbs 16:16 lists what God does hate and that list is interesting;

An arrogant attitude

Lying

Killing of innocent people

Hearts that are always looking for ways to aggravate others

Always looking for ways to help make someone else's bad situation worse

A false witness

Someone who sows dischord among friends

I'm counting at least six there (assuming they haven't actually killed anyone)

1. Shakje

God hates killing of innocent people?

Really?

2. John G Imrie

As a non God Botherer my self

I have been told I'm going to Hell.

I just hope there is some justice in the after life and I end up in the same pit as these numskulls.

If I do then the gates of Heaven will tremble, with the sound of my laughter.

7. Someone Else Silver badge
    FAIL

E-fscking-Gad!

"The group, best known for their rainbow ‘God hates fags’ signs and web page, are claiming the action is in response to Jobs not using his wealth to promote their interpretation of the bible [...]"

Well, shit, if that's all it takes to warrant their petty wrath, I guess they will need to rack up some frequent flier miles and start protesting every funeral in America, as nobody (save perhaps...PERHAPS..their 100-weak members) is going to use their wealth to promote this outfit's whackadoodle interpretation of the Bible.

8. Big O

May I be the first to say o.......k.......

9. Goat Jam

I Hope

that people have the sense to ignore these moneygrubbing trolls.

This guy and his family/congregation are all lawyers. They don't believe any of the crap they spew.

All they do is get in the faces of emotional people (such as mourners) and try to bait them in to retaliating, hopefully violently.

When somebody does so, they instantly sue them for damages.

It is nothing but a profit seeking scam.

1. Naughtyhorse

But surely

a drive by with a mac10... making sure to get ALL of them, then theres no one left to sue, and i could drive merily into the sunset to spend my well earned community service award :-)

this is the merkan sanctioned way to deal with this kinda thing? no??

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

There is nothing in the world that is so bad that religious fanatics can't make it worse.

1. Chris Harrison
      Devil

except maybe lawyers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

Funnily enough, being a lawyer is the Phelps family tradition with several members of the family in that profession.

Fred himself is a disbarred civil rights lawyer.

1. Jedit Silver badge
          Alert

@ Norfolk

One interesting piece of trivia is that Fred Phelps ran for Congress fifty years or so ago ... as a Democrat.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Jedit

And now he's a poster boy for the T-party.

2. PassiveSmoking
        Facepalm

As WBC are basically a bunch of religious fanatic lawyers you can imagine how fun to be around they truly are.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or bible bashing religious loony lawyers

4. sisk

These particular nutcases happen to be lawyers also. Does that put them into a whole new category of being able to make things worse?

2. Wommit

or even religious fanatics who are lawyers.

11. Dave 126 Silver badge

GodHatesTheWorld.com

Now, there's a theology that almost makes sense! It would explain earthquakes, our awareness of our own mortality, war, sandwiches with mayonnaise, Nissan Micras...

Well, it just reminded me of what Paul Erdős called god: 'SF' (Supreme Fascist)

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

You, Sir,

Leave the mayonnaise alone!

2. hamcheeseandonion
      Flame

.....Sarnies with Mayonnaise..

....or how The French deliberatley corrupted and ruined a Great British Invention....

We, or rather the Earl of Sandwich, invent the eponymous article of heavenly fodder.

Les crapauds, furious that the world can now see how ridiculous their Haute Cuisine really is, come up with the vile, hideous weasel-vomit that is mayonnaise purely as a way to corrupt and demean the joy-that-is-a-sarnie.

I mean to say, if you need something like weasel puke to make yer food taste less horrible, then you are a nation in need of serious gastronomic aid.

<Flame Off>

3. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Dave 126 & mayonnaise

Do you mean a stable emulsion of good quality olive oil, egg yolk and either vinegar or lemon juice or a dubious concoction made with hydrogenated vegetable oil and sold in plastic bottles in supermarkets.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If journalists stopped giving them publicity nobody would care what they said or did, articles like this just perpetuate their existence.

13. Peter 26
    FAIL

Please don't give these idiots press...

14. SirWired 1
    Thumb Down

Don't feed the trolls

Honestly, I don't know why the media doesn't just ignore these obnoxious trolls. Instead of providing coverage for these publicity whores, you'd think it'd make sense to reduce their presence at an even to: "The members of 'Westboro Baptist Church' were also present to wave signs; they were generally ignored or derided by others attending." No close-up photos, no interviews, no sputtering rage by the victims of their bigotry, etc.

It wouldn't stop them, but it would certainly piss them off.

1. Arctic fox
      Joke

RE "Don't feed the trolls": I entirely agree, we should just say............

.............sod'em.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

or

let every male mourner embrace, and perhaps even kiss a male protester (I realize this requires setting aside your natural revulsion, but be strong!!).

For a nice touch add: "I forgive you."

I think this might freak these guys out, and they could hardly sue you for it, you are merely following the example set by by Christ, showing love to thy neighbours.

15. Graham Lockley
    Stop

+1

Plus one on denying them the 'oxygen of publicity' (to quote another nutcase)

@Dave 126

Sammiches with mayo is bad ? You are going straight to hell boy !!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

From the WBC with lots of man-love...

Www.godhatessammicheswithmayo.com

2. Can't think of anything witty...

To paraphrase Linda Smith...

Never mind denying them the oxygen of publicity, we should probably deny them the oxygen of oxygen.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No mention of the Patriot Riders? Huh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Patriot Guard

Brilliant though he was Steve Jobs wasn't a veteran. The PGR is all about honoring veterans and shutting down the WBC fools is just a fun past time for us. No, really. It started as a 'shut down the WBC people' movement, but these days we do maybe one of those for every 10 rides we go on. And that's in Kansas, where WBC is most active. Usually it's welcome home rides and sendoffs. Occasionally it's a funeral where we act as a second honor guard, but very rarely does WBC show up anymore. It's gotten to where the family just tells Phelps we're gonna be there when he calls to harass them and he doesn't even bother showing up.

Anyway, long story short, you can get a bunch of guys to rev bikes (it shouldn't be hard), but I doubt the PGR themselves would show. It'd be up to that state captain though.

17. Bango Skank
    WTF?

and they are upset over Jobs, because ...?

Since Jobs wasn't gay, Muslim, a priest that sodomizes boys, or any of the other things this bunch of loonies claim to be upset about, what exactly is their beef?

Or is it the case that a true nutter doesn't really need any logical reason other than "it's there".

1. Steve Knox
      Facepalm

Jobs's birth father was Syrian-born Abdulfattah Jandali -- I'm guessing that's close enough for these morons -- or they just want some more publicity.

Please consider these people the worst that our poor country has to offer, and don't judge the rest of us by their stupidity. And Please, PLEASE, waste no more column space or bits on them.

2. PassiveSmoking
      Trollface

I suspect that they'd say it was because he hired The Gays to work at Infinite loop.

But in reality it's because he'll have a high-profile funeral and they just want the attention.

Remember the Anonymous campaign against Scientology? That needs to happen again against these scumbags.

3. Richard Wharram

Doesn't work that way.

They don't protest at people they hate. For example, when they protest at soldiers' funerals it isn't because they have anything in particular against the soldier. They claim to believe that God is punishing America for 'allowing gayness' and any funeral can just be seen as part of God's punishment. The logic is always tenuous.

Anyway, that's the purported logic, the real reason of course is to offend people and get publicity.

4. Velv
      FAIL

Did you bother to read the article? Apple has been voted the most gay friendly employer in the US. I think that pretty much fits right into their firing line.

God must REALLY love WBC, otherwise America being America (fuck yeah!) I'd have expected some good old boy to have taken them out by now.

When Fred Phelps die, I wonder how many LGBT will protest at his funeral. I can just se the placards now :)

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Devil

When Fred Phelps dies?

"Fred Phelps has been burning in Hell for 2 days. Eternity minus 2 days = eternity."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"When Fred Phelps die, I wonder how many LGBT will protest at his funeral. I can just se the placards now :)"

I hope none. I'd loose a lot of respect for the LGBT community if they allowed themselves to sink to the level of pond scum. Thus far they've taken the high road in regard to WBC.

18. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Hmmmm.....

Please God, open a Portal and drop these disgusting retards into the middle of a Wahabbi meeting somewhere in a lovely western Iraq desert city. There would be a possibility to agree on that "fags" stance but otherwise the belief systems would collide with hilarious results!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why open a Portal

Just dePort(al) them there.

In fact that should be the standard punishment in hate crimes.

If you commit a hate crime you should be convicted to serve your sentence (with no right for parole) in the most hostile possible form of environment you hate.

Hate muslims - fine, removing land mines in Iraq sounds like the right occupation for you. Hate "coloured" people - well, in that case how does working the next 10 years on famine relief sound to you? Wanna hate something else?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't be any such thing as hate crimes.

If a white guy beats up a black guy, that's bad.

If a black guy beats up a white guy, that's bad.

If a white guy beats up a white guy, that's bad.

If a black guy beats up a black guy, that's bad.

What's the difference?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Shouldn't be any such thing as hate crimes

If people beat people up, that's bad: agreed, it's just the level of badness that is at stake.

In my book at least, it is worse if someone beats you up because he hates the group you belong to, rather than, e.g., what you said about him or his mother, or because you took a swing at him. There is even a sort of "bad sense" in mugging: people do it for profit. It is definitely bad, but not as bad as an unprovoked attack based on a person's religion, race, or sexual orientation.

2. Jedit Silver badge

What's the difference?

Motive. If you were to beat up another man because he screwed your wife/kicked your dog/has something in his wallet that you want, then regardless of his race you're getting something out of the act - revenge, expiation of anger, money. If you were to beat up a black guy just because he was black, though, it's worse because he hasn't done anything to even remotely deserve it.

3. Naughtyhorse
          Joke

well...

the guy comitting the second offence will get a longer sentance, and the (fictional - lol) guy commiting the third offence will not be charged... or believed by his mates

19. David Austin

Hmm. yeah - Interesting idea.

I See two problems.

Firstly, knowing the kind of guy Steve is, I suspect no-one outside of his close friends and family will know when and where the funeral will be until it's over.

Secondly, yes, what they're doing may be legal under free speech, but with the number of apple fans running higher-than-usual emotions, I wouldn't bet against mob justice kicking in before the law enforcement shows up.

Now, as we remind everyone on the forums; don't feed the trolls. Westbro feed on media, and without it, they're just rebels without a cause.

1. LateNightLarry
      Flame

Westboro Church of Hate...

Considering that they've now publicly announced their intent to picket Steve Jobs' funeral, there WILL be armies of fanbois and armies of gays and lesbians watching for their cars. Don't be surprised if their cars and anything in them disappear from the face of the earth, maybe to be found at the bottom of Devil's Slide or someplace similar. Any car in the Bay Area with a Kansas (?) license plate will be suspect for the next ten days or so... there was an incident last year where they returned from their picketing and found all four tires slashed on their car, and none of the local tire shops or towing companies was open for them. They finally had to drive on four flat tires to an out of town Wal-Mart (maybe 3-5 miles) to get new tires. Of course, the police saw no one approach their car.

Somebody will eventually try to torch their "church" again...

2. MacGyver
      FAIL

Someone needs to come up with legally safe nickname for them, and then EVERYONE agrees to use it. I am sooooo sick of seeing "Westboro Baptist Church" everywhere, and I'm guessing that the only reason they are still around doing what they're doing is the publicity. So why don't we just stop using their name, and take away what they want. Maybe then they will go away.

How about:

"They, who's name we don't use."

"Full of Santorum"

"Fundamentalists Against Gay Society"

"These'ums" Some kind of red-neck reference

Anything, just stop using their damn name. I don't care where "These'ums" are protesting this week.

1. hplasm
        Happy

Baptards.

That is all...

3. Can't think of anything witty...
      Megaphone

Whilst a well-swung iPad would no doubt sting, i don't think that they have a lot to worry about from tech geeks.

Fortunately (for the rest of the world) these guys have pissed off a lot of people as a result of their war funeral pickets. A quick YouTube search leads to some promising hits such as "Westboro Baptist vs. Angry Nevadan Bikers" (parts I, II and III). Full credit for the bikers form of protest - basically "we have big flags and lots of people and we're just gonna stand in front of you" - as opposed to the highly tempting but not very legal line of "lets just have a fight"

20. sisk

DON'T DO THAT!!!

DO NOT give these jackasses any press. I'm begging you, just ignore any WBC story that comes across your desks. You're giving them the attention that they want. They won't ever go away until the press decides to ignore them.

1. CmdrX3
      Devil

They won't go away even if the press DOES ignore them. Protesting is their family business and denial of their civil right to protest is what makes them the cash, that's why they all study law. Sadly other than using a shotgun there is very little that you can do to stop them and they are here for the long haul, so people will just have to ignore them and accept they are a price of free speech that has to be paid

2. trarch
      Thumb Up

Thanks

You just saved me from writing that.

It's the only way to deal with them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do give them press

To be fair, they are just pointing out what it says in the Bible.

Like the BNP, let's expose people of all religious faiths for the irrational bonkers nonsense they all believe in.

Just because some Christians believe in the nice, fluffy, English-village-church-with-innocent-bicycle-rideing-vicars version of Christianity, completely ignoring what a c**t god is in the Old testament, doesn't mean their beliefs are more credible than the Phelps.

21. bruceld
    FAIL

Tittle

The question remains...why does the media give them the attention that they so desparately crave?

22. MontaraMike
    Childcatcher

If I believed in God I would think the only thing he would "hate" is Hate itself.

23. CapitalW

True Christianity is about Love not Hate

If these people were truly Bible practicing Christians, they would not be doing this. They need to go back and read the Bible and then practice what it really says... especially in the New Testament about loving your fellow man. You do not have to support the sin, but you are still NOT to do things like WBC is doing.

It is people like these members of Westboro Baptist Church which give those who do not know what Christianity is really about a bad name.

If they do this in "God's Name" the Bible clearly states that they will be held accountable for those who turn their backs on Christianity as a result of their action. They will not like what God has in store for people misleading others in His name.

Jesus NEVER said to do anything in hate, and that God loves even those who sin even though he holds final judgment on them for their actions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rubbish

Have you ever read the old testement? God is extremely unpleasant and wants a lot of people punished for doing terrible things, like working on a Sunday or wearing clothes of mixed fibres!

God is about love in the same way Hitler is about building roads.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Old Testament is not about Christianity - the New Testament is. all the Old Testament provides is a background history. Anyone using quotes from the Old Testament to justify their actions that can't back up the quote with something from the New Teastament is, by definition, not a Christian.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Agreed.

Unfortunately the Baptist movement has really only paid attention to the books of Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Revelation. The rest of the Bible's teachings are considered optional.

2. Rob Dobs
          Angel

Very optional reading of you

Jesus says in the 4 apostles of new testament that his words do not undo the jewish law, and says several times that people must still follow the old laws. Problem is he also says contrary stuff in other books of the apostles. This is because the books of new testament, like the old testament were written at different times, by different people with different agendas. Check out "misquoting Jesus" and "Jesus, Interrupted" two great books that very clearly spell out the falseness and inaccuracies of the new testament, and it give great back ground on the real history behind these human made books.

2. Naughtyhorse
        Joke

some really good roads tho

thats all

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"like working on a Sunday"

Actually, the Sabbath is Saturday. Always has been, always will be. I could write a book to prove it historically and scripturally, but it'd be easier if you just go ask your priest/pastor/minister (assuming you have one). They all know it and admit to it, but there's a wide variety of arguments as to why most Christians observe Sunday instead (none of which scripturally valid, but whatever).

As for the Old Testament being 'just history', Christ himself said otherwise.

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." -Matthew 5:18

Which in no way backs up WBC because...

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

-Romans 5:8

And...

"Judge not, that ye be not judged." -Matthew 7:1

(again, I could write a whole book on the passages that back up the 'love for the sinner' perspective)

So even if homosexuality is sinful, God still loves homosexuals. Furthermore, those laws are not the ones that God felt was so important that he had to write them in stone with his own finger, unlike 'Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy'. Given that 99% of Christianity has forgotten the Sabbath I would say that it is probably closer to accurate (though still horribly inaccurate) to say God hates WBC.

See, that's why knowing the Bible is useful. When dealing with folks like the WBC people you can outmanuver them pretty easily using thier own book without having to result to weak (and false) arguments like 'the Old Testament is just history'.

4. CapitalW

However.....

God alone holds the ability to judge.

Calling themselves Christians, they need to use the New Testament as well as the Old. It is written very clearly in the New Testament that the Old Testament "rules" about tit-for-tat are no longer valid with the coming of Christ.

They are simply using whatever parts of the Bible they wish to further their "cause" and get in the news, not caring that they are giving those who are not Christian the wrong idea of what Christianity is about.

I have been busy and away from the computer for several days so this is my first chance to respond.

24. James O'Brien

Was it the title?

As much as I have voiced my hatred of Apple in the past I cant wait to see what comes of this.

These idiots need to do this I think if only for the rabid Apple faithful to beat them to death with iProducts.

Whos bring the beer?

Edited: I dont quite get why I was referred to the page on why this was rejected. It weasnt a snipe at Apple fans it was directed 100% at the idiots from this "church". As for the iProducts comment it was easier then typing them all out.

25. Boz 1

Personally, I can't wait until one of the members of the Phelps clan dies. That way we can protest _their_ funeral. And then when the Phelps clan takes the protestors to court, they'll have set a precedent for their own demise. >:-D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Banned

They're already banned from protesting within 150 feet of any funeral in the US (and banned from protesting at any funerals in some states)

2. sisk
      Thumb Down

Oh, sure, let's just sink to thier level.

No thank you. You go play in the pond scum with them and protest funerals if you'd like, but I'll think the same of you that I do of them when you're done.

26. Simon Lyon

I lack the words to describe how worthless these individuals are

At least on this forum.

The Reg moderators are fairly relaxed but I couldn't possibly expect them to post what I actually said when I read this article!

27. moonoi
    FAIL

They know Jobs is/was Buddhist right?

Above is the answer to why he didn't promote their view, he wasn't even a Christian! These people really are stupid beyond belief!

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

PKB

The fact that Jobs wasn't a Christian is *why* they're picketing his funeral, you dumbass.

28. niya blake

Ahem folks

It has been brought to my attention that the twitter announcement was posted using an Iphone . Seriously they used a freaking Iphone .

29. kosh

It's just stats

With a sufficient large population, every normal distribution will exhibit outliers.

The only way to reduce their extremity is to reduce the overall deviation, also pronounced "dictatorship".

Advice: Just ignore the trolls and/or counterprotest. They're not going away.

30. David Kelly 2

WBC vs Occupy Wall Street

Would somebody with an inside connection with WBC plant a bug in their ears suggesting Steve's funeral will be on Wall Street? Perhaps we can kill 2 birds with one stone by getting the Communists and WBC'ers to wipe each other out?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone brick and the WBC scammers

the funny fact that they used an iPhone to make the announcement exposes them to the clauses in the agreements that they signed.

since they signed and agreed to the Apple iPhone terms of service, Apple has the right to permanently disable & brick their iPhones at any time thanks to this bit in the iPhone contract:

(the iPhone contract for older iPhones has similar language in it)

https://ssl.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone4.pdf

7.4 Apple does not warrant against interference with your enjoyment of the iPhone software and services, that the functions contained in or services performed by the iPhone software will meet your requirements, that the operation of the iPhone software and services will be uninterrupted or error-free, that any service will continue to be made available, that defects in the iPhone software or services will be corrected, or that the iPhone software will be compatible or work with any third party software, applications or third party services.

i expect that Apple will do so if WBC continues to interfere in this case and i look forward to their "WTF happened" confused looks.

and about the WBC being a scam:

http://www.fark.com/comments/1922829/19175244#c19175244

http://kanewj.com/wbc/

Why the Westboro Baptist Church is a Scam

short quote

"This is a scam.

It's a business. They travel the country, set up websites telling you exactly when they'll be there, and using the most inflammatory statements all over the place, just to get someone to violate their rights for profit. Then they sue the military, the police force that was to protect them, and everyone that is around them for money. This is a sham, and it is a trap to get people sued. Every member of his family is an attorney. Phelps does not break the law. What he does is try to make you break the law by trying to punch your sensibilities about everything you hold dear, and then sue you and everyone municipality around him to the max.

This is a scam.

Whether he believes his posters or not is irrelevant.

He's using this as a moneymaking scheme.

Lay one finger on him, do one thing that violates him, and he will sue you, and more importantly, the city, the police department, the US Military, and any private property owner he happens to be standing on to make money off of it."

(explanation continues on those pages, full with details)

1. Flugal

Church scams

Sounds like all churches to me.

2. Rob Dobs
      Unhappy

Yeah but if the whole entire gang of them disappeared...

Then who would be left to sue for them?

32. Piloti

God hates fags...... ?

Are you seriously saying that after six days of hard work he did not kick back with a pack of B and H ? And Hamelts of course...... now that is /happiness/.............!!!!

As usual bible bashers are, to quote Blackadder, like a broken pencil : pointless.

33. Andy Goss
    Pirate

WBC in it for the money

As as already been posted, WBC is a money-making enterprise - annoy people so much they attack you and then you sue them. Simple but effective. But they need to be careful to annoy only decent law-abiding citizens who won't respond with a timing chain.

34. Spud2go
    Thumb Down

Don't feed the Trolls.

Don't give these people any acknowledgement, it only encourages them.

35. zen1
    Mushroom

WBC

It's morons like this that erode any remaining credibility for legitimate churches. Not that anybody agrees with me or even cares, I happen to be a devout christian and I'm positively convinced that God probably wants to bitch slap these people, for a wide number of reasons.

I hope, albeit highly improbable, that this church gets its collective head out of its ass and gets a clue.

1. hplasm
      Happy

If God did smite more often-

More people might believe.

Just like the good old days!

More smiting and a cleaner brane!

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Annoyingly....

GodHatesWestboroBaptistChurch.com has already been registered.... now I'm not claiming to be God but I think this statement is a fair bet....

37. Tom 7

Westboro Baptist Church

must be a submarine atheist organisation - its just such a extreme satire of christianity they cannot possibly be christian.

38. Herby
    Joke

Note to Westboro Baptist Church

Funeral will be held in Furnace Creek, California. See you there.

Signed,

Steve.

p.s. It might be in a few months, save the month of August next. Await details. (They don't call it Death Valley for nothing!).

39. Hasham

Missed headline opportunity

"Cult members to picket Steve Jobs' funeral. Westboro Baptist Church to attend also"

40. Mips
    Childcatcher

Opinions

As Dan Brown has it, the Bible, the Koran and all other religious books were written by men. They contain the word of men not of God. So far as I know God has never actually said anything to anyone. Some of the writing say that God spoke, but is this true? At his distance of time and with the vested interests of the intervening tellers, I think not.

If you like I can prove on a scientific logical basis that God exists. However I do not believe in Religion. Religion is falsehood.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not believing the Bible

but then believing Dan Brown instead?

Who's the fool here?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

@Anon, I believe the difference is that Dan Brown isn't asking you to believe in something, he's asking you to apply logic to your beliefs and see what filters through.

If you're a bible basher, then not much.

2. dogged

"I can prove on a scientific logical basis that God exists."

No you can't.

3. Naughtyhorse

If you like I can prove on a scientific logical basis that God exists

no you cant it's all bollocks

grow up

credulous fool

41. The Nameless Mist
    Happy

WBC Banned in UK

We don't have to worry about the Westboro BC causing this type of problem in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7898972.stm

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Yup

More censorship, and restrictions on freedom.

Great, just what the UK needs.

42. Tigra 07
    Thumb Down

Simple solution...

Bury Steve in the UK where free speech doesn't allow people to crash funerals with protests.

I'll never understand why Americans protect this when they outlaw other speech, such as racism and anti-semitism.

43. Anonymous IV

This organisation can have no validity whatever

They can't even spell Westborough correctly...

1. hplasm
      Coat

You mean

Westbarooga?

44. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Joke

Screw it!

Well if we're all off on spurious pickets, I'm picketing the company across the road....for, ermm....not promoting my photography! Yeah I know they make sandwiches and sell cakes, but they could promote my artistic work more!!!!

45. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

Plus...

They're barred from the UK...

46. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)

How can we fight these idiots?

Very simple, as far as I am concerned. They seek violent reactions and sue as a result, so we should deny them that reaction. Instead, we should show them love and understanding, and here's what I have in mind.

If you see these people protesting anything, don't shout, don't jeer, go up to them, pick a member of their organisation the same sex as yourself, and come on to them. I mean REALLY come on to them, and don't stop until they give the kind of reaction they want from others.

Even if it doesn't work, it'd be a laugh.

Where's the big-wet-sloppy-kiss icon?

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Staying Legal

There are times when I fantasise about ways of making life hell for this group. Are there ways, for instance, of making their travel to a protest difficult? How do they travel? Are there lists they might get on? And I can't really see any legal ways of setting them up for grief.

The mental image of a broken-down micro-bus full of Westboro Baptists, as the rain keeps on falling and the creek rises is still sorta amusing.

48. I understand now
    Trollface

They're the ultimate trolls. Even Trolls get smacked down eventually.

*glances at watch*

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

".....group called off many of their proposed action and went home to Topeka, Kansas."

Kansas! Funny! Back to the home of Dorothy. No wonder they're upset about "fags".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Going back to Kansas

I suppose they just click their heels together three times and say "There's no place like home, there's no place like home...".

50. SMabille
    Stop

PR

They are a very small bunch of bigoted idiots but they are VERY good at PR.

How can a (large) family manage to get weekly press coverage ???

Just ignore them and they'll disappear.

1. My backside

Incest?

They are all a bunch of inbred idiots. End of story.

51. Ian Davies
    Mushroom

Please. Oh, please...

I don't wish to suggest that their words and actions are somehow more hateful or repulsive just because on this occasion they happen to be concerned with Steve Jobs. They're not. Their obscene and vile actions towards members of the military and gay community (to name but two) are just as repellent.

But I hope they really do try and show up at SJ's funeral, and I really hope they finally get to feel some serious consequences for their evil.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Title should read...

"Jobless and Brainless cult with nothing better to do...." plans picket

53. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

If I had the money

I would build a purpose built gay / lesbian resort right next to their house.

Alternatively, patent the term "fag" and sue them for copyright infringement.

54. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please stop

These hypocritical, attention seeking scum should be completely ignored by all intelligent people.

55. Jamchal

I don't get it, God isn't reality, it's just belief. Gay's are reality.

Clearly Gays > God. (probably why this fictional character of a bed time story 2000 years ago isn't quite happy with peeps over at gay central)

Or in other words, quit trolling and respect the man (and his family) who pushed the realms of todays technology to the limit, advancing us into the smartphone era.

+1 for iPhoning them to death.

56. Ian Stephenson
    Flame

It's their hell (Westboro's)

They can burn in it.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I vote for

a load of Brits to turn up with signs saying "God hates cigarettes".

58. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

WBC are doing EXACTLY what this god-fella wants

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As said above...

God has mellowed since then.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Winkypop Silver badge
        Thumb Down

The new testament is not as bad

But it is bad.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This God fella to whom you refer?

True, that's an accurate description but does any semi-intelligent human in this day and age not realise that the Old Testament was written by some blokes a long time ago? There will always be shepherds and sheep.

59. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're not so much a cult as a group of lawyers who provoke people into trying to ban protests and then taking them to court under constitutional law.

It's a scam and sadly it's worked well enough for them to make a living out of it.

The only good news is that they promise to picket all sorts of places (such as the funerals of the murdered kids in Norway) and rarely turn up.

60. Miek
    Linux

Wait for them to turn up and ......

61. Miek

Their contact us form could be quite useful in telling them how disgusting they are

http://www.godhatesfags.com/contact.html

62. relpy
    FAIL

I'm really sorry, I know it's not really funny, but -

HA HA HAH AHAHA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Very much to their faces.

What a bunch of complete losers.

As an aside, I don't care what their God wants; even if she exists, if she's that feckin' petty she ain't getting my "vote". I'd rather rot in hell for all eternity than worship at the feet of a cretinous bigot.

63. Frank 2
    Stop

Attention seekers

I really wish the media (yes that means you!) would stop giving these morons the attention they so clearly want. Ignore them and they will go away.

64. CynicalOptimist
    Stop

stop giving these loons the publicity they so desperately seek.

65. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any further into the closet

and Phelps would be in Narnia!

1. Mr Young
      Thumb Up

Closet!

That's the word I was looking for - thanks for that. I've always considered the loudest gay bashers closet homosexuals when they don't even realise that? What would I do for laughs without the internet, I just don't know

66. g e
    FAIL

In other, less reported news....

The WBC loons forgot to point out that God Hates Haters too...

67. Robert Halloran
    Linux

Taunt then sue

They're figuring on the mourners being upset enough to get physical, then they sue for assault, etc.

I particularly liked hearing about the counter-protest at the San Diego Comic-Con completely pwning them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jml1_EfCyTA

68. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

One has to firstly assume...

...that if "God Hates Fags", God is an entity.

Fags are great! (I smoke 20/day, I should know), but I've yet to smoke one with God.

1. zanto

you sir are a dick (and a limp shrivelled one at that)

"Fags are great! (I smoke 20/day, I should know)"

been there, done that, got the lung function test results to prove it.

in the doctors own words "if you don't stop smoking and start exercising, BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOU"

i put the caps in myself, he actually said it in a very matter of fact tone, and being an ex-army doctor didn't really look like he gave a shit what happens.

1. Mr Young
        Boffin

Hey zanto the dick caller...hello?

You're not trying to start an argument are you? What a total big trolling pussy! Andus seems ok to me but that's my judgement only you stupid little nobstretch

1. zanto
          Happy

@ Mr. Young

if taking issue with smoking is trolling, then yes i am a troll.

there are a million ways i can reply to your post, but nah, it's only smoking and what it does that i have an issue with.

i do apologize however seeing how i seem to have hurt your feelings. for the record i only called the OP a dick because he claimed fags are great. and your post just justified my stance that there are a lot of impressionable young minds who just might get the wrong idea.

happy face icon to make you feel better.

69. Alan 43

Rev Ian Paisley / Lord Bannside on the death of Steve Jobs

Think the REV IAN PAISLEY gets it right in today`s Belfast News Letter article on Jobs `Learn how to live before you die` - Columnists - News Letter - http://goo.gl/V4Z9N

70. BorkedAgain
    Pint

"Gay-bashing cult..."

I'm pretty sure there's a typo in there, but I just can't quite see it...

71. BobaFett
    FAIL

Pointless, but sad also.

Given they number in the 100 range, let's be thankful this intolerant and misguided line of thinking is extremely rare in the grand scheme of things.

It's just hugely disrespectful that they choose someone's funeral to make a point of it. Jobs retired and handed the reins to Tim Cook in August, that was the time to do it, if at all.

72. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

God = Aliens

The Acient Alien theory is that "God" is an alien.

In the movie Paul, Paul the alien smokes plenty of fags.

Therefore "God" does not hate fags.

73. Jon Press

Not many "confirmed bachelors" in the Bible, but...

Pleased as man with man to dwell

Jesus, our Emmanuel

74. Dave 120

Metagaming

Protest, get attacked, sue.

I can't help thinking this a bit like jetcan flipping in Eve Online...

75. Get the puck outa here
    Paris Hilton

Please please please ignore publicity whore trolls.

I have told my four year old that when we walk down the street, she does not have to point out every dog turd in a loud voice. If she can learn that, surely the press can, too.

76. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Like ALL...

...Bible, Quran, Torah (or fill in your tome of choice here) toting religious nut-jobs...EVERYWHERE..they are a dangerous lot.

77. Lord Lien
    WTF?

One word to describe these people.....

Starts with a C & also contains NUTS.

78. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one...

find comfort in the fact that they damn themselves with their own rhetoric. If they bothered to read past the bits in the bible that they like to use to condemn their fellow man they might have stumbled on this bit..

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

I find it baffling that some people can base their ideology on a book written over 2000 years ago. I very much feel that anyone who chooses to ignore the social progress made over the course of the last two thousand years doesn't deserve to benefit from it; i.e. no cars, no running hot/cold water, no central heating, no aeroplanes, no vaccinations or hospital surgery treatment. In many respects these WBCs share similar traits with the minority of Islamic crazies who want to impose sharia law. The sooner we can pack these lot onto the 'B' Ark the better off we will be.

79. Rob 5

A picture is worth a thousand words

http://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Thank-God-for-Dead-Westboro-Baptist-Members.jpg

That is all.

80. seadubya

this is a church? May be the should read that Bible they are waving around. Ignorant bastards!

81. Joey

God hates?

Hate is a human concept. In fact, most of the traits attributed to God are human ones. Even the 'He' part. How can God have a gender? Why would an omnipotent super-being feel the need to be worshiped or praised. Surely that is only for egotists - humans.

The fact is that God was created by man in his own image - not the other way around!

When people don't understand something, they make up explanations, and then stand around nodding in agreement. I wonder if earthworms have theories about motor cars?

82. Alex McKenna

AN Ironic Medal for these guys!

These guys deserve the thanks of all atheists and freethinkers, and sensible people generally, including myself, for their incredible work - vocally and hilariously illustrating the folly of literal belief in the writings of any self-appointed diety, or representatives thereof.

Hopefully nobody will tell them that their absurd, ill-disguised malice does no good to their cause.

Their rustic stupidity reveals the essence of all irrational beliefs, which beneath their saccharine-sweet veneer lies falsehood, oppression and corruption.

83. Hairy Airey
    Unhappy

Please don't think that Westboro Baptist Church are representative of all Christians

Because they aren't. They have more in common with the Pharisees of Jesus time than with Jesus himself. If I had seen the first TV programme about them I would have told Louis Therouix (when I had the chance to speak to him at the BBC's offices) exactly the same. _RCH_ has it right the church should be spreading good news not attacking people. The Old Testament also specifies it to be a sin to wear clothing of two materials, so where's the protest group against the wearing of poly-cotton shirts and blouses?

The gospel is Good News, and what WBC promote isn't the gospel.

1. zanto
      Facepalm

don't bother

it's in the interest of the pseudo-intellectual left leaning sections of the media to tar all Christians with the same brush, especially when you get a bunch of crazies like these.

having said that, these inbred dodos have done a good job of distancing themselves from other Christian denominations.

84. David McQuillan
    Happy

The can picket me when I die

I'd be only too happy to join in the company of Jobs by being picketed by the Westboro Church when I die

85. Cheshire Cat
    FAIL

Religious people. They're all nuts.

If Osama bin Laden can (could) claim to be a Muslim despite all he's done, then these nutjobs can claim to be Christians despite their behaviour. Once people suspend their logic in order to believe in a sky-fairy, then its only a little jump to suspending all other logic as well.

(Hello to the NSA people who are reading this because of the trigger words!)

1. kain preacher

So are you saying you have to be stupid to believe in god ?

86. Mike Smith
    Devil

American Beauty

“We're not against technology; we're against using it to promote what God hates.”

Well, they do say that the worst homophobes are still in the closet...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like