back to article Concerned comrades floor China's anti-graft website

A new Chinese government website aimed at encouraging comrades to report corruption was brought to its knees yesterday by a stampede of eager citizens, Reuters reports. No sooner had yfj.mos.gov.cn come online, than it was floored by sheer weight of numbers. The Beijing Youth Daily quoted an official as admitting the "number …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

pft...

HA!!! Corruption!, don't make me laugh.

Sort out your human/animal rights issues, freedom of speech, press, information etc.... and stop killing yourselves every time you get found out for putting lead in childrens toys. And then ask people to report corruption. I've a funny feeling there'll be a lot less to report and their poxy website may not cash then.

And HA again. I fart in your general direction. and NO I DON'T eat Chinese food either.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

5 years to tackle corruption...

[sarcasm] obviously the administration deems it a priority [/sarcasm]

I bet whoever defined that timeline retires in 4 years.

3. Bruno Girin
    Black Helicopters

In the UK

If a similar web site was introduced in the UK, would it fare any better?

4. Daniel Voyce
    Gates Horns

We love our commie friend on the other side of the world but..

"China is keen to clamp down on rampant corruption"

Give Democracy a go then?

5. Robert Harrison
    Coat

@We love our commie friend...

"China is keen to clamp down on rampant corruption"

"Give Democracy a go then?"

Hear hear. Send China a DVD selling Democracy. With Customer testimonies from the USA and Britain saying things like "Look how happy and free our citizens are"

I'm going now.

6. Wyrmhole
    Thumb Up

Re: We love our commie friend on the other side of the world but..

Of course, there is no corruption in the so-called democratic societies of the West, so it HAS to be a good solution for this.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

corruption

Surely they need to *increase* corruption by a vast amount if they want to be more commercially successful than the US...

8. Frank Haney

A 5 year plan. Hurrah

Where would the world be without 5 year plans?

I wonder if the Chinese authorities will be taking lessons from our own glorious leaders...

"Thank you for supporting the petition on the Number 10 website. The Prime Minister is aware of your concerns but will continue to do just as he damn well pleases.

"Please don't hestitate to contact us if you have any other burning issues you want us to ignore"

9. Spleen

Corruption is inexcusable

There's no need to steal money from taxpayers. Just do what councillors here do, and allocate council tax money to useless projects then give the building contracts to companies that happen to be run by your friends and family. All perfectly legal. You might be investigated but all you usually have to do is say 'Oh, I had no idea that company was run by my brother-in-law, besides the other councillors approved it' (in return for you approving their own schemes - don't say this bit). At worst, you may have to resign, on a full pension, at which point the investigation will close on the basis that you've retired. Then you can go back in again. Don't worry, my Chinese friends, I'm not making a single word of it up. Who needs corruption?

Government is corrupt by definition. If they weren't corrupt they'd have real jobs, if we wanted the crap they build with taxpayers' money we'd pay for it ourselves. If you don't like corruption, the best you can do is vote for lower taxes, and even that's little more than a pathetic plea along the lines of 'please most exalted sirs, next time you take away our money at gunpoint, can you perhaps not take quite so much, Tiny Tim needs a new wooden leg'.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Democracy doesn't equal no corruption

""China is keen to clamp down on rampant corruption"

Give Democracy a go then?"

Sorry, but why would you think that installing a democracy would magically remove corruption? Why don't you pop down to Africa and see how wonderfully free of corruption all the democratic countries are....

To return to the article - the idea is very nice if they can continue to develop it. It can be very difficult to report corruption, and it pervades almost everywhere. You can hardly pop down to the local police station to report corruption, you'd be too afraid of the consequences, plus of course police try their best to avoid recording any type of crime - I had to argue for about 13 hours non-stop last time I wanted to press charges against someone.... (to record crime shows that crime is happening which probably affects their perfomance review - but if you insist enough they eventual give in and record it).

Anonymous complaints about corruption would have the additional benefit of causing officials to lose face when there name is mentioned multiple times. So even when they can't be caught, they'll start being more subtle and reducing the frequency of seeking bribes.

And to demonstrate the beauty of anonymous posting, I am posting this message anonymously (since I don't want my business in China to suffer as a result).

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Democracy doesn't equal no corruption By Anonymous Coward

Sorry to concern you - but can't they just trace you by your IP address?

Apparently it is quite easy for Chinese authorities to obtain such personal data upon request even from those democratic capitalist corporations who say they would never do bad things.

12. Joe

@ Speen

Well put!

13. Andy Bright
    Go

Everyone fill out a form

I feel this is an excellent opportunity for everyone in the western hemisphere to report their own politicians for corruption. I know I will be as soon as the website returns, and maybe my boss too.

14. Ishkandar
    Paris Hilton

Corruption in a Democracy ??

Of course there isn't !! Who would be so corrupt as to pay cash to gain a peerage ?? Or fund a political party in order to get a few "state" contracts ?? Unthinkable !!

And it is perfectly legal for Haliburton to charge the government lots of money to transport *sailboat fuel* since one of its bosses "just happens" to be the vice president !!

And incorruptible democracies do not trade with autocratic, totalitarian dictatorships like the various sultanates !!

Long live incorruptible democracy !!

If PH believes in Smurfs.....

15. John Macintyre

@In the uk

they did, there was that site where people petitioned changes and every time one got popular with over 2000 votes the govt (tony) would email everyone saying it's there for a reason so piss off then closed the petition. Ended with a petition to have the pointless petition site closed done as they're a bunch of arses who couldn't give a damn anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.