back to article The cat came back: Cubrilovic spots another Facebook 'tracker'

If nothing else, Australian blogger Nic Cubrilovic is giving Facebook a sense of what it feels like to have someone watching you all the time. No sooner is one Facebook cookie drama damped down than he triggers another. In that latest to-and-fro, Cubrilovic asserts that the Facebook ‘datr’ cookie, which sparked a drama earlier …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To accidentally track one cookie, Mr. Zuckerberg, may be regarded as a misfortune;

To track both looks like carelessness.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

or more precisely

a careless disregard for your users.

don't forget they are your meal ticket, bitch.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Black Helicopters

@enigmatix

You don't know sheep.

They'll let a lot of little things slide and if its out of sight, its out of mind....

What's interesting that people will bitch all day and protest when a government gets all intrusive and watches their every move, yet when a company does this they don't make a peep.

Hint: There are laws protecting us from intrusive governments. Not so much when its a company....

1. dssf
          Joke

"They don't know sheep."

Butt, they DO know $haggable $heep", and haggable heaps. It hurts when they use overtightened or imbalanced shears.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awww, Facebook, eh ?

Let's get'em, lads !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

You lie down with dogs

you get fleas.....

All the sheeple please, carry on eroding your (and ultimately mine) privacy......

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

In the future......

....genuine privacy will be a status symbol afforded only by a few.

I'm hanging onto mine for all it's worth*

* and I reckon it's worth a LOT.

5. Number6
    Big Brother

Cookie Monster

At home I browse Facebook and Twitter with a different browser to the one I use for everything else, so it is noticeable when facebook.com cookies appear on the FB-free browser. It happens with Twitter as well, their cookies appear on the 'clean' browser.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's one to ponder...

Just now I logged in to The Register forums, posted a comment, *logged out* and returned to the home page for further reading. Once there I opend a new link in a new tab. To my surprise the right hand column of another comments page displayed "Welcome, [my handle]..." But I am logged out, you should not 'know' who I am any more! (Process then repeated, same result).

Tsk... What would you lot say if *that* happened on FB? :)

[FYI... Firefox + AdBlock + Ghostery + NoScript]

1. BoldMan

Ghostery does the job!

7. TonyG

Who's responsible for the cookie legally speaking?

If I have a website in Europe that doesn't set any cookies I don't have to ask the user to allow me to store them. If I add a facebook like button to the site then cookies are created without express permission.

So who is "breaking" the law is it me or facebook?

8. big_D Silver badge
    FAIL

No wonder...

The German government have declared Like buttons being displayed without the visitor's express permission to be illegal!

Heise got around it by replacing the Like button with a slider control, which you slide to enable Like, +1 etc.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mmm mmm! what's cooking?

smells like a little boiling frog there. Zucky and the corporate masters are slowly turning up the heat and we're all begging to hop in the pot.

"Bankers" and "wall street" didn't get into power without our help and allowance. Best thing to do is give up the shiny toys before they become a problem, and not do some attention-Wh0ring "protests" after it's too late. Same for all the tracking of "social media" which is only about advertising and consumerism at the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

10. Rick Brasche

so, I wonder though...

sure FB is a slimy cesspool of time suck and attention whoring that only exists to turn more people into better consumers..but how much of the "whistleblowing" and subsequent hype is actually powered by competitors' motives?

11. Kev99 Silver badge

Go on a diet & get rid of your cookies

Why would anyone in his right mind keep cookies between sessions? I keep my browsers set to whack cookies at shutdown and run cookie erasers regularly. I once even got Netscape to back off ( I believe) when I told them their cookies were theft of my property and I intended to take action if they didn't kill them.

12. Cowardly Animosity
    Mushroom

Thank you El Reg

for implanting that cartoon/song in my head for the day. All hopes of productivity have now gone out of the window!

http://youtu.be/bETCusT5kNM

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like