back to article Europe to launch bold Sun swoop mission

The European Space Agency hopes to blast into space a probe that will get closer to the Sun than any other craft has managed. solar_orbiter_esa Artist's impression of Solar Orbiter. Photo by European Space Agency The ESA said on Tuesday it aims to launch the Solar Orbiter from Cape Canaveral on a NASA-provided Atlas rocket …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Coat

By going at night?!

I'll get me....

2. Yann BZH
    Stop

Arianne 5?

>NASA-provided Atlas rocket in 2017, launch on a Soyuz rocket in 2019

Why doesn't the European Space Agency use a European company to launch its satellites?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

I'm guess that's because the idea is to get them into space, rather than have them converted into a selection of heavily singed spacecraft components somewhere between here and there.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

I think that Arianne is a bit overkill for this, and it probably won't have a launch vector that can be easily shared (normally Arianne launches 2 large sats and possibly a few other bits in a single launch; except for ATV which is bloody heavy, and the new James Webb telescope).

There is an option to launch using a Soyez from Guianna instead, but the Soyez is a bit tight on the launch mass with not much margin.

Maybe they could've scaled SOLO up a bit and included more instruments, but that would've upped the cost, and ESA is not exactly rolling around with money.

3. tony2heads
    Mushroom

Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun

Pink Floyd rules!

Or at least runs ESA

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

So are Disaster Area playing The Earth...?

"Ship locked into stage computer A-OK. Stand by for Sun Dive."

Mine's the one with the Electronic sub-etha Thumb in the pocket...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like