back to article Rumors of iPod classic's death prove exaggerated

The lack of an iPhone 5 announcement at Apple's "Let's talk iPhone" event wasn't the only pundit–defying act performed by Apple CEO Tim Cook and his merry men: despite rumors to the contrary, the venerable iPod classic also lives. As does the iPod shuffle, Apple's $49, 2GB bare-bones digital music player. Those two iPods, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jay 2
    Meh

As thought no 128GB iPod Touch, so I think I'll wait another year. Slightly surprised, but happy, that the Classic lives on. So roll on iOS 5...

2. Joe K
    Thumb Up

A watch?

Baffled, but saw the pix of the new watch face screens and wrist-strap.

I think i might be wearing a watch again after a decade of using my phone as a timepiece, they look pretty damn good.

1. HipposRule

So

you like having to pull your phone out of your pocket to see the time rather than just glance at your wrist? very strange.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

I stopped wearing a watch about 16 years ago, when I found that having a solid lump strapped to my wrist was making touch typing a bit uncomfortable (granted, this is probably more to do with the particular style of typing I've developed over the years without any formal training, than to touch typing in general) and that when I was working on prototype hardware with exposed high voltage conductors, the idea of having any bits of metal around my wrist didn't really appeal to me...

For the first few years I then carried the watch body (sans strap) in my pocket, for those times when I needed to know the time and wasn't in the vicinity of any other means to determine it (but living and working in a large city meant these times were few and far between), and then once I got my first mobile phone the need to carry a dedicated timepiece around with me disappeared.

So yes, these days I'm one of those people who, in the absence of any nearby clocks, will pull their phone out of their pocket to check the time. Given that I'm not the type of person who needs to know exactly what time it is all the time, I might only need to use my phone specifically as a timepiece once or twice a day - when I'm at work I can glance at the corner of my PC screen or at the display on the IP phone, when I'm in the car I can glance down at the clock in the centre console, when I'm at home the time is visible on various wall clocks, kitchen appliances, PCs, radios etc. etc.

3. Richard Pennington 1
    Joke

Pedantically speaking...

Surely the pedometer version should have been the iPed?

4. Cornholio

Very miffed

Most upset that the Classic is still stuck at 160GB. My iTunes library is larger than that and I've been waiting for quite some time for a more capacious iPod. Grrr.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like