back to article Look who's talking ... about your Facebook Page

Facebook has launched new ways to help its advertisers bank sackfuls of cash and no doubt cause privacy advocates to despair. The social network has introduced Page Insights tools, due to go into the wild in the next week or so, which let Page owners see the number of friends of fans of a page, the total likes of the Page, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim 11
    WTF?

so what?

ooh look, another facebook privacy scare.

Just one question: does anyone really give a f**k any more?

1. Elmer Phud

nah

Not with Adblock - I don't recognise Faceache with all the trimmings added on.

2. adnim

It sees to me Tim 11

that the previous 10 Tims would agree with you. Unless of course they used Farcebook and were concerned with privacy issues.

2. Paratrooping Parrot
    Headmaster

If I said "I had a horrid time at Tescos", does that count?

3. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Don't you mean

Antisocial Ads?

4. adnim

A new Farcebook

Charge users £1 (whatever it costs to support infrastructure) per year to use the service.

Let the the users have total control over how information they post is shared and to whom.

Let users restrict access to their wall/posts by age, group, individual.

Do not share, sell or divulge in anyway any information personal or otherwise concerning users of the service.

Once a user is logged out they are LOGGED OUT, they no longer exist to the service until they log back in.

Let users post links to anything and embed anything in their own wall (with a warning that a court order will be complied with)

Prohibit membership of corporate entities, small ltd companies and sole traders allowed.

Allow users to stop any internal advertising.

Users are the site, without the users there is no site, they are the Alpha and the Omega.

It sickens me that obscene greed (be that a greed for power or money) motivates some individuals more than a social conscience does? Yeah I know, I feel sick most of the time!

Do unto others....(no I don't do god) What other rule is needed?

5. Putonghua73
    Thumb Down

When did enhance become exploit?

I have absolutely nothing against the profit motive, providing that the motive is about providing me with goods and services that I need and/or providing added value.

I deleted my account weeks back when it became blindly obvious that Facebook is less about enhancing the user experience than totally exploiting it. I even clicked and rated / reported the damn adverts in the hope that they would personalise them to something at least relevant.

The damn site knew all of my likes, but rather than provide a personalised experienced based upon them i.e. a Caffe Nero promotion / Special offer, I was constantly plagued by adverts from two-bit companies selling nothing of value.

I felt cheapened using the site, which clearly has no regard for its users - except Zuckerburg and co rubbing their hands at the thought of hoovering all of our content up until they hit lint.

The actual irony of heading to Mountain View due to privacy concerns! Yet Google innovate and provide a different paradigm with privacy controls. Before I used Google+, I couldn't see the point of 'circles'. Now I wondered how on earth I stuck with Facebook for so long with its myriad of confusing options that it has now seen fit to disregard.

It's sheer arrogance and contempt of its user base in the belief that the sheep will bleat a little, but fall meekly in line. There are other options and with each intrusive upgrade that neglects users from their own experience, slowly but surely those users will seek other alternatives.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm actually surprised this didn't exist already.

7. Jimbo 6

Yummy Vulture Cola

I like the sound of that.... where do i buy some ?

(Government Health Warning : this drink may make you bitter and cynical, and has been linked with Puerile Humour Syndrome)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like