back to article October 14 declared 'Steve Jobs Day'

As rumors spread that Apple's cofounder and former CEO might show up at Tuesday's "Let's talk iPhone" event, a group of clever fanbois has proclaimed next Friday, October 14, as "Steve Jobs Day", and has asked the world to celebrate "a day to honor the man himself and say thank you." The rumors fluttering around the interwebs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A classic example of the Stockholm syndrome.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

WOW! Am I impressed?

NFW!

But the Apple Lemmings will be all wet...to be sure.

Now for REAL 14 October holiday celebrations...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5943754/october_14_holidays_and_celebrations.html?cat=22

Don't see Boy Wonder Day here, however.

3. David 45

Huh?

Dawkins preserve us! They'll be wanting to make him a saint next. Oh - hang on......saints are usually dead, aren't they? Just sayin'.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh please...

He isn't dead yet.

1. scarshapedstar
      Coffee/keyboard

Well...

10 days is an awful long time, innit?

1. Lockwood

You had to say it, didn't you...

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Re: Oh please...

Well if the knicker-wetting fanbois keep on with this sort of shit, someone with a slightly shorter fuse than the likes of us could well lose it and fix that.

3. mfraz

Change the A for an I and it is half way there!

5. HMB

FFS, He can be a Prick and a Visionary Guys

Sure Jobs is a bit of a prick, but he's also a visionary technologist who brought about modern smart phones and tablets as we know them today.

He ruffles feathers, treats people unfairly and has a legal team that would pull the plug on terminally ill children if ordered to and the law allowed, but the man has been such a positive force in computing. He's given people what they want and wowed people with ideas and drive.

You don't have to agree with him or think he's a "nice person" to acknowledge what he has positively contributed.

1. John Bailey
      WTF?

Only if by visionary..

You mean salesman.

6. jake Silver badge

That has got to be ...

... the stupidest thing I've ever read on ElReg.

Commentards commentardary included.

7. Madboater

oh dear god

I normaly try to avoid the fanboy flame wars by not commenting on this sort of sh1t, how ever I think Steve could reinvent himself by remaking the bill shatner sketch "get a life", however i'm not sure he has a sence of humour...

8. paulll
    Gimp

I like ...

That a feature link to an article about David Caminer appears along side this.

9. Thecowking

I have to say 1066 was the first thing that sprung to my mind.

I assume Jobs will be invading through Normandy?

10. Ian Davies
    Mushroom

Douchebag Olympics...

...in 3... 2... 1...

First up, the 100m Jackass,

then we have the Triple Jerk,

followed by the Synchronised Sour Grapes,

finally the Ignorance/Misinformation/Disingenuous Triathlon

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wear a turtleneck to work, don't give a crap about your customers - it's not a big deal - take all the credit for the work of genii such as Steve Wozniak - you too can take part in Steve Jobs Day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Now that's just a stupid comment.

Care to name more CEO who even responded to some customer's emails at all? Plus Apple's overall customer service is one of the best in the industry.

Plus how does he take all the the credit? He not only gives credit to his team but also brings along some of the creative geniuses during his keynotes, eg. Jony Ive.

It's fine if you don't like the man, but those are the wrong reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So you're saying it's better for a CEO to reply "No, now sod off" than remain silent?

And I their customer service has been on UK TV's watchdog program more than once.

Sent from my PC

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Yes, I can name another CEO

Simon Hackett, CEO of Internode. Not only did he reply to my email but also did so whilst on holiday. And he solved a pressing problem for me. Top geezer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Virginmedia

Even Neil Burkett of Virgin Media infamy replied to an email, and passed me on to someone who sorted out an installation issue.

It's a shame it had to go that far, and they're still useless but hey, at least they tried! :)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Virgin Media? Internode?

We're talking about global companies, not your neighbourhood ISPs.

Wake me up when you get an e-mail reply from Steve Ballmer, Larry Page, Leo Apotheker, Choi Gee Sung...

Yes, his replies are short but effective. He once replied to a question I sent related to movie production and even got a senior director at Pixar to get in touch and give me some guidance on a project. That's 5 stars service in my book.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)
              Thumb Up

@Metavisor

"Care to name more CEO who even responded to some customer's emails at all?"

"No not that one"

"No, he doesn't count"

"I've not heard of him therefore he doesn't exist"

"Well he was nice to me, so bollocks to the rest of you."

Summarised for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@rameses

@jake: Lol ARPANET? Is that really a serious comparison? OK I have x400 emails from the Swiss president but I was hoping something in the last say 10 years, you know, when CEOs started getting 1000s of emails a day?

@rameses: not really a summary, people just need to have a better sense of porportion? I trade emails with my fishmonger every day and he owns the shop but he would be a bad example to compare with the a CEO of a major multinational company.

I've even listed a few smilar positioned CEOs, if you are an end user who got emails from any of them I'll be happy to be told I'm wrong in my judgment.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Yes I have

I've had email from Scott NcNeally on an issue I had with some Sun kit.

2. jake Silver badge

@Metavisor

Do you even know who the Toms Watson were? Or Grace Hopper? Or who ken is? Or rms? Much less their place in history that makes your fondle-slab possible?

Shirley you know who Hewlett & Packard were. Hopefully you know who Case and Leonsis are ... But maybe not. You might be too young. The fact that you laugh off the likes of Bob Kahn & Vint Cerf tells me all I need to know. Get back to school, child. You still have a lot to learn.

3. kyle elliott

@metavisor

I get nearly weekly emails from the CEO of Zenith Infotech - A global technology company and a leader in backup solutions, and can pick up the phone and call the VP of operations if I want (and have in the past)

The difference between them and Steve "I buy transplants to survive cancer for another few years" Jobs is that they don't tell me to sod off when I call or email them, they step on their employees to fix the problem, and make it right by the customer.

Then again, I'm sure you're going to say they don't count because they are Indian aren't you.

3. jake Silver badge

@Metavisor

Well ... I have email archived from Tom Watson, Grace Hopper, and both Hewlett & Packard. Throw in rms & ken, and an odd sprinkling of early ARPANet folks, followed by bemused comments by Steve Case & Ted Leonsis, and I think I can safely say that Jobs answering email personally ain't exactly unique.

Did you spend any time with Usenet in the early days? If so, you'll know t'Brass weren't exactly uncomfy using text to communicate with the cognizant ...

I can also safely say that Steve's not the guy you think he is ... That's all marketing bullshit. He's actually quite personable, in person ... I know, he was my neighbor for several years in North Palo Alto's Johnson Park neighborhood. We often shared iced tea on my front porch. I never once felt the urge to hit him firmly on the nose in RealLife[tm] ... Why he allows his marketing department to portray him that way is beyond me^W^W a matter of finances.

As a side note, it's not a "team". It's a "marketing department". Spot the difference, win a cookie/biscuit.

12. J 3
    Paris Hilton

Kind of sad, really...

Anyway, I'd rather dress like Steve Jobs than like Mary Queen of Scots for a day. Just saying.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You forgot the most important one ..

Oct 14th, I was born .. Surely the most momentous birth since that of the universe and easily eclipsing that minor dustup in 1066 ..

1. Asgard
      Joke

Oct 14th ... most momentous birth since that of the universe

So you are saying the universe was formed on Oct 14th?! ... I'm impressed you can be that accurate.

2. Goat Jam
      Pint

Or tjhen again

perhaps not.

14. General Pance
    Flame

Go towards the light, Steve

“I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

Matthew 19:23-24

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mindless gobbledygook. It's far easier to build a giant needle and find a camel to go through it, than to find cloud like Disneyland world to begin with (I was talking about iTunes, do you think I would risk being beaten up by Christians by saying it was heaven?).

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Headmaster

Learn your history

In the quote, the thing the camel is passing through is actually a proper noun. The Eye of the Needle was a very narrow gate into the city, made for people on foot. You could get a camel through it, but it would be very, very difficult. Hence, what Jesus meant was not that it was impossible for the rich to get into heaven, but that they'd have to work extremely hard to do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Urban Myth alert!

Except there has never been any evidence of the existence of such a gate or of any entrance to the city with that name .

I think what the chap in the book meant was the actual eye of an actual needle.

It is still possible, however; one could blend the camel then pour it through.

2. BongoJoe
          Headmaster

Learn your history, pt II

"In the quote, the thing the camel is passing through is actually a proper noun."

The reason for the camel/needle conjunction here is because the word 'camel' refers not to a foul-tempered ship of the desert but to one of its original meanings. As any schoolboy should know a camel is also a rope.

This is why then the eye of the needle makes sense here; in other words it's hard to get a rope through the eye of a needle.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Wordy git.

"You can't take it with you."

There. Simpler, shorter and the meaning is more obvious too.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't that just a way for the corrupt churches of the world to steal money from the real suckers and cultist? Scary people

4. FIA Silver badge

Pffft...

Rich men can afford Blendtec.

15. Subtilior
    Gimp

Ou la la

Ils sont fous, ces fanboise.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Tout a fait;

donc il faut on n'oublie pas que le "détesteurs" sont vachement rien d'autre d'un bande des branleurs.

16. Smithson
    Trollface

I've Just Seen a Face

Looking at that pic of Jobs it strikes me that while he was relieving the Beatles of their record label's name and logo, he pilfered Lennon's jumper and specs too. Can't that thieving so-and-so come up with ANYTHING original..?

[pulls on asbestos long johns]

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't mind

I don't mind honouring him, for his spectacular success in business. I have nothing to thank him for, though: I may have admired an Apple product from a distance, for its looks, but I have never felt the need to get any closer, let alone buy one.

Well done Steve, but, err ...no thanks.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Punch line # 1:

I'd rather have an available jobs day.

Punch line # 2:

I'd rather have a blow jobs day.

19. Arthur Kater :-D ☺
    Happy

No way!

October 14th I'm going to eat MY birthday cake. And not wearing a freakin turtleneck!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

They got the wrong day...

...25th of December, surely.

21. B2048
    Facepalm

Wow! it's going to be a total suckfest!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

yep

see AC Tuesday 4th October 2011 05:26 GMT

fanboi's : there's no need to thank SJ - you thank him with your dollars ... he loves them more than your approval.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Neither Steve Jobs nor anyone at Apple is in any way involved"

.... I expect they, or more accurately their lawyers, will be fairly soon!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear!

He's gets up the morning, takes a dump, has a shave and eats breakfast. Just the same as millions of us do every day! He has a knack for hiring the best people able to spot a good trend and make Mr Jobs even wealthier. Good for him, I sincerely wish him all the best!

To borrow a line from BlackAdder:

"When asked who most people would rather meet, Steve Jobs or the man who cleans the toilets in Aberdeen city centre? It's wee Jock Poo-Pong McPlop every time!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd rather meet Steve Jobs

At least he exists. Having used the toilets in Aberdeen city centre, I'm pretty sure that Wee Jock doesn't.

24. Reg Varney

In honour of jDay, I will be spending the whole of October 14th shouting "#@&# you, you @&~$ing $£@% and all your stupid $*~%ing fanbois!!!"

(* truth in advertising: I do worry that all that punctuation might hurt my throat, so may substitute actual letters)

25. Lockwood
    Thumb Down

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

26. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Hey!

Wonder if the video of the event's gonna be available on Flas...oh, wait, Andus...

27. Ian 56
    Devil

You have to admire the PR company involved.

Still, obvious troll is obvious, and it's a shame that so many immediately fell for it.

*casts significant look upwards at previous comments*

28. V
    Devil

Wife's birthday

I think it is a good idea... However, it also coincides with my HQs birthday... Fancy telling her that we will spend time discussing Steve instead... Fastest way to spend time in the dog house..

29. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pirate

Darn!

I missed taking a towel to work on May 25

I missed saying "ARRH" on September 19

I think I will give October 14 a miss as well

Pirate, because, well AAARRRRHHH!

1. Andus McCoatover
      Pirate

Dammit!!! Avast, Scallywag!

September 19.

Forgot me eyepatch and me parrot.

Oi takes me plastic cutlass wi' me wherever I drop anchor in whosoever's lagoon, however, just in case her man walks in. For forgettin' 'em, I should walk the plank meself! Oh, well. Back to Davy's locker for another year...

Ho, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum...

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

30. BrentRBrian
    Mushroom

Devil's Night

I thought Devil's Night was the 30th of OCT ?

31. Chika
    Trollface

Steve Jobs?

Who's he, then?

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

October 14 is fully booked

as Explosive Diarrhea Day and Projectile Vomiting Day.

33. Dropper
    FAIL

Sure

I agree, let's all say thank you for shite phones and over-priced computers. Wahoo.

34. Player_16
    Paris Hilton

You know, I do like Apple and all what SJ has accomplished...

...but there are times when it just irks me to know that there are people out there with way too much free time on their hands, incapable of thinking for themselves. Talk about riding the coat-tails of SJ just to sell your product? That's shameful. Makes me ashamed to admit owning Apple products knowing there are SJ worshippers of that ilk out there behaving like ... with that creepy glazed look.

Close the drapes; I'm not getting up today.

35. aryx

Oh dear ...

Turns out 5 October was Steve Jobs Day.

As someone who doesn't buy Apple products on principle for many reasons, I still recognise the effect Jobs has had on personal tech. Without him PC design wouldn't be nearly as innovative and what would the state of smart phones be? At least his vision and drive have forced his competitors to evolve or die.

We won't talk about any character faults he may have had or the anti-consumer and anti-competitive practices of Apple ... just for a few days at least, okay?

36. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge
    Coat

For the "Dress Like Steve" element of Steve Jobs Day, is the dress code now a wooden overcoat?

37. scarshapedstar
    Facepalm

oops

Seems my '10 days' comment was a little too prescient. :(

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK

Now he's dead (see previous comment from previous page).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like