back to article London gets first new Google Chromebookshop

Brit geeks have snapped up Samsung-made Chromebooks from Google's new 'store' on London's Tottenham Court Road in a sign that the Chocolate Factory's attempt to clone Apple Stores' razzle-dazzle is paying dividends. Staff at the branch told the Reg that they had shifted "quite a few" of the £349/£399 mini-laptops since the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Joke

"It just didn't turn on this morning," one member of staff explained.

Google are obviously eating their own dogfood. The wifi access point/3G cell it uses was down.

2. Chad H.

Yes but,

When you walk in, is there an "I feel lucky" option?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Googly dominance?

Surely that should be Gominance? :D

The sound you hear is the door hitting my ass (already had my coat at the ready)

4. Citizen Kaned

i just dont get it....

its a netbook with a crippled OS and low functionality.

i can boot my eepc to quick internet in like 5 seconds and i have win7 on it if i need to do more.

i just dont get it.... at least an ipad is pretty much instant on...

5. Wayne
    Coffee/keyboard

A real shop ?

Is this a real shop or just a stall in the back of someone else's shop ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

someone elses' shop?

Yep. It is inside PC-World. The store is at the norther end of Tottenham Court Road, close to University College Hospital.

Naturally, the sales droids will try to sell you some form of windows only AV on your way out (te-he)

Memo to Google UK.

The store you have chosen for this trial is in the back of beyond when it comes to the West End. If you think that opening here and then at Lakeside(it is Essex for pete's sake...) will make a dent on Apple's retail sales figures (for London) let alone footfall then you are sadly mistaken. Why didn't you try Westfield? A much better class of customer visits their places(Shepherds Bush and Stratford) than goes to Lakeside.

Anon coz the Mother-in-law lives in Chafford (next door to Lakeside).

6. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)
    Boffin

Competing with Apple?

I'm no Apple fanboi, I own an Android phone for goodness sake, but my god that shop looks awful. While the Apple stores have a certain stylishness to them, the bright primary colours in that Google shop make it look like the Play Centre I take my kids to when it's raining.

It also looks astonishingly cheap and plastic-y.

But then that's just my opinion.

Glasses, to remind people to take their sun glasses with them if they go.

7. Robert E A Harvey

Thurrock?

Lakeside?

Do they do a version upholstered in Burbury check?

8. alwarming

BUY IT!!!!!

- Uses Atom processor, but priced like a real laptop!

- 16GB of HDD, but priced as if you can use it!!

- Not ultra slim!!!

- [I accept] on first boot would probably include giving up your fundamental rights!

- No software support as it has not software!

- No hardware support if you buy the ACER one!

- No HDMI... why watch netflix on TV ?

Wow, what's not to like ?

9. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Coat

Downmarket?

It says here: http://www.google.co.uk/chromebook/#chromebooks-samsung that it comes with a "300 nit display". When do they hatch?

1. Magnus Ramage

Now now - as any parent of young children will tell you (after drumming it into their anxious offsprings' heads), it's the cleanest hair that gets the nits. So enough of the downmarket.

This topic is closed for new posts.