back to article Vodafone dishes out free unlimited data

Folk after a fresh handset might like to consider Vodafone, which is offering new and upgrading mobile customers truly unlimited data for a three-month period. The company's Data Test Drive incentive is available for anyone who enrolls or upgrades to a pay-monthly contract with one of Vodafone's range of smartphones. After a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They 'allow' tethering

How quaint. My provider may or may not 'allow' it, but when I fire up a WiFi base station or tether over USB it works just fine.

/anon, because

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

someone inside vodafone..

..told me that their network guys have no clue about deep packet inspection or even basic traffic shaping, so whatever they allow or don't allow makes no difference, you can do what you like and they can't tell.

eg: they don't "allow" VOIP as part of data bundles, except they do because they're too incompetent to tell if you're using it.

ac, obviously.

3. Niall
    Mushroom

Vodafone Ireland

...certainly know how to block VOIP traffic.

They are running a scam where people who naively sign up for a mobile broadband contract (3G dongle) see skype work well for the first 7 days, only to find that after 7 days skype gets blocked.

Then a call to Vodafone reveals they want an extra €20 per month to unblock it. The scheme has some nice synergies with their "return within [but not after] 7 days for a full refund" facility.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unlimited data for trial period on a contract phone you say, hmmm

I recently got a smartphone and unlimited data deal. Paid CPW £100 for a samsung s5570 galaxy mini and a PAYG SIM from gifgaf were I opted for the £10 a month goodbag which included 250 mins calls, unlimted SMS and.....UNLIMITED INTERNET (no fair use abuse policey beyond no teethering).

So ocmpared to vodopains deal I'm gaining by not being tied to a contract, not having sample of real mobile internet and then being charged royaly and loosing out on a initial cheap handset that you effectively pay double for over the duration of the contract.

I'm happy and all without vodaphones help.

5. The Dark Lord
    Flame

Easy offer to make

"Unlimited" they say? Limited only by their utterly despicable data network, surely.

I think you'd struggle to hit your download cap even if you spent all month at it. Shocking service.

6. Tim 11
    FAIL

"Use the internet as much as you like,"

erm, that would be "not at all" then!

Haven't these guy figured out the mobile internet is suitable for use only in emergencies when you have absolutely no option

1. Cameron Colley

@Tim 11

Are you posting form the 20th century? I ask because I find the internet handy to use on my phone for mapping, translation, finding transport times and other things which are pretty useless if done when at home. I've also found that using a phone as a WiFi hotspot means my iPad, EEEPC and any laptop I happen to have handy can access the internet just fine from pretty much anywhere I happen to be.

So I can only conclude that you either:

Only play games, so hate the latency of mobile.

Never find it useful to be able to look up anything whilst on the move -- making you all-knowing.

Live, or spend most of your time, in the back of beyond.

Are from the 1990's.

7. dansus

Dont Laugh..

*Fair Use Cap applies.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's a name for this tactic...

"Bait and Switch".

Better go to Three who offer akk you can eat as standard without the 3-month limit

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like