back to article MS names Nokia WinPho models in compo blunder

Microsoft has inadvertently leaked the names of forthcoming Nokia Windows Phone handsets by including them in the terms and conditions of a competition. The Nokia Sabre, as well as the familiarly-named Nokia Sea Ray, were both found mentioned in the Ts&Cs of a Microsoft Canada competition - now edited to remove the names - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it matters?

1. Jim Coleman
      Thumb Up

Oh yeah

Matters to me - a marriage of the world's best handset maker with the world's finest mobile OS is a match made in heaven. I for one can't wait to slap some cash on one of these babies.

1. Steve X
        WTF?

"marriage of the world's best handset maker with the world's finest mobile OS is a match made in heaven"

Undoubtedly true. What's it got to do with Nokia and Microsoft?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You sound like a very astute buyer

Seeing how smart of a buyer you are I have this bridge that was just made for you. It is in New York, city and has a fantastic view of both Brooklyn and Manhattan..

You can stick a toll both on it and make millions.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll let you know where to send the cash.

I also have some ocean front property in Kansas, I'll even let you pick what ocean.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Nokia phone names

I'm sure the reg readers can come up with some names.

N-foot-in-mouth

Nokia-suicide-note

N-Erloop

3. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Surely, this is normal??

The first Communicator was called "Spock", and is now tombed in a rock in Espoo

Personally, I'd welcome E-flop as a name. Fitting, I think....

4. Rob Kirton

Not a cat in hells chance

nokiasabre.com registered just today. Not that I was really checking of course :0)

5. Alan Bourke

Anonymous MS haters

quick off the mark there.

6. James Hughes 1

It matters not.

Every Nokia phone I've worked on has a codename (5 different phones so far), which bears no relation to the final products name.

It you want to extrapolate what features are present from a codename, go for it!

1. Ilgaz

Sabre etc

I don't think they will use such complex names. I can think of keeping the original "N" etc. System.

For example, M8 , EM7 etc.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS

Security seems to be the lowest priority at MS!

1. Spearchucker Jones

True.

Thank god for Linix.com and the Linux Foundation.

2. Snapper
      Happy

MS Security

I saw what you did there!

Clever.

8. Chris 171
    Pint

The WinPho N8?

Hope so, its what Im most looking forward to seeing anyway.

Nokia's flagship cameraphones have always made rival mfrs products look like toys.

Beer 4 Friday :)

9. McToo
    Thumb Down

The N9 running Meego I will drop some cash on when next in Abu Dhabi, which means I can avoid that clunky looking POS that is WP7. Sorry Mr Elop, you made a huge rick not releasing the Meego N9 in the UK, it would have sold like hot cakes.

1. aThingOrTwo

sold like hot cakes?

Actually, it would have probably sold about as well as the Maemo based N900. i.e. not very.

Windows Phone (7.5) is very far ahead of Meego right now.

10. kirovs
    Facepalm

If finally saw it

Is this Mango? Yuck, it is uglyyyyy

11. ScottME
    Meh

Too little too late I suspect

If any mobile phone manufacturer could make Windows Mobile attractive, it would be Nokia. Sadly, I don't see it happening. The world is too focussed on iPhone and Android.

So long Microsoft. You had your decades in the sun, you had several attempts at mobile, but now it's time to move over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Move over?

It was never in the way.

12. SanityFM

Lol, it's like being in a school playground reading some of the comments here. I, for one welcome all competition to the phone/tablet market as it pushes prices for all down and encourages innovation, so it’s quite laughable some of the adolescent tripe commented here.

Nokia have, traditionally been the best quality hardware manufacturer and had the best quality cameras, and battery life, and am sure will make great phones with WP7 on. Only someone who hasn’t watched the mobile phone market closely enough would try to claim otherwise, making themselves look at bit ignorant to be honest. I have Iphone 4, have used Android and both are fine platforms. I have also flashed WP7 mango onto my old HD2 and you know what, its absolutely fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the stagnated smartphone GUI arena. You just need to “Think Different” ;)

I’m afraid grids of rounded shortcuts that can only display numbers on them, within another grid of folders on a screen that is too small is looking and feeling very dated and tired now. It was great a few years ago but it’s essentially a Windows 98 start menu in a phone. I want more from my cutting edge phone tech. Apple seriously need a GUI refresh and need to catch up to the others on screen size, information notifications, and actual phone call reliability (i.e.: the IP4 antenna design fault). Oh, and their spell checker. I want live info and pictures pushed to my shortcuts/tiles on my front screen, not numbers. WP7, and also Android to a degree are pushing and innovating GUI on portable devices and I for one welcome it. Come on Apple, Innovate! Iphone still has the best app portfolio and integrated ecosystem at the moment though.

Tablets are another thing. I don’t want an enlarged phone with that same tired grid of shortcuts, like my start menu. I want a shrunken PC that I can run real apps on, you know like, CAD, Music Production software (not some toy imitation), Access, Excel. Apps that allow me to be productive and useful, and not just consume media, like we currently have, for the most part. Maybe that gets a little closer with Apple and MS next Desktop OS's. The move toward proper computing power and functionality on a tablet that has a usable GUI, moving away from the interim tech we have now. Tablets and phones, that are mostly for media consumption.

You know I read a good article the other day. It compares Amazon, Apple, Google etc to the Wal-Mart’s, Tesco’s of this world, in that they can provide all products and services in one location and cheaply, which consumers do like. But of course affect the smaller retailers and service providers, wherever these large corporations move in. People can get up in arms if a Wal-Mart or Tesco move into their town and shout and protest about, the apparent stifling completion and the death of small retailers. However when it comes to a large phone/ computer corporation getting, and keeping people in there ecosystem, many people are blinkered to anything that’s different, or they don’t have. Variety is the spice of life people. So many comments these days sound like the words of evangelists, not consumers. We don’t want the computing and information equivalent of a communist dictatorship now do we. This “my way or highway” attitude sounds more like the words of a football team fan rather than consumers in a capitalist, free market.

There's another computing revolution coming friends and I say bring it on. More choice and variety can only be a good thing. Embrace it. We must not get all "playground" and narrow minded when something that’s not just a clone comes out or some perceived challenge is made to our current ecosystem of choice.

"Think Different" as a great man once said. Embrace Change.

Regards.

13. Sam Laur
    Flame

Nokia phones?

Who cares?

N-evermore.

14. AB
    Facepalm

@aThingOrTwo: Windows Phone (7.5) is very far ahead of Meego right now?

<sarcasm eyes="rolling">Yeah, you're spot on there. I hear WP7 even has copy & paste now...</sarcasm>

As for your nay-saying re: N900 sales: the N900 was never intended as a mass-market consumer device, but that's exactly what the N9 has been designed to be, so your contention that the N9 won't sell well isn't really a reflection of quality of either the hardware or the software. Sadly the launch and distribution of the N9 has been thrown under the Ballmer bus.

Enjoy your Mango tiles.

Mine's the one with the N9 in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like