back to article Go Daddy flogs 50 MILLION domains

Go Daddy's installed base of domain name registrations has swollen to 50 million, dwarfing all of its closest competitors. The 50 millionth name, dbakit.com, was registered by Indian punter Kranthi Kumar Kukkala over the weekend, according to the company. Go Daddy's closest competitor is eNom, owned by publicly traded Demand …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jolyon Ralph

Why not list them all?

>The entire universe of internet domains amounted to 215 names at the end of the second quarter

Second quarter of 1984 maybe!

2. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Validation

How many of these real and how many spammers, con men, money laundering and typo-squatters?

1. craigj

Validation?

Much as I hate it, a typo squatter's, spammer's or con-man's $10 is as good as anyones to godaddy.

They still flogged 50 million domains.

Personally I'm not sure how, their platform is one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of managing domain names on.

3. Andrew Moore

And they don't like you leaving...

I had no end of issues trying to wrest away, a domain a friend of mine had registered with them. He called me in because they made the whole process so complex that it needed someone with IT savvy to unravel it all.

4. Sean O'Connor 1
    Coat

How long til we run out of all possible combinations of domain names and need to invent ALPHABETv6?

1. Allan George Dyer
      Holmes

That's OK, we just

start using Chinese.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One HACKED every second

One bought every second? One HACKED every second in my experience. I regularly see crapware on subdomains belonging to legitimate GoDaddy customers. Either the bad guys are very good at sending out GoDaddy phishing emails, or there's a fundamental weakness in GoDaddy's security.

6. Pat O'Ban
    Devil

Elephant Killer Parsons is a Premier League CU Next Tuesday

I moved all my domains away when I found out Parsons shot a wild elephant dead. Very glad I did. And like @Andrew Moore and his friend, I found it to be a deliberately complex process.

7. Tezfair
    FAIL

...and not a single one was .co.uk

8. Nights_are_Long

Good on him for building a profitable business, sure there are negatives that can be said about him or the company but to build a business that size and that successful it has to be worthy of some serious recognition.

9. Herby
    Joke

All those domains...

Must be the racy ad that we almost see on TV, but are on the web anyway.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to make domain registration more controlled

Companies like Go Daddy became rich selling tons of domains without asking anything about the registrants. Lots of spammer domains and the like are registered by these services.

Domains shoulc cost more and registration should become more controlled. I'd like to see of thos 50m domains how many are actual domains and not just spam/phishing/etc. endpoints.

11. william_7
    Thumb Down

@LDS

why not put the price of guns up too, see if that stops more murders?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like