back to article Google plants self on Silicon Roundabout

Google is set to plonk itself on the doorstep of the Silicon Roundabout next year, after the company signed a lease for a seven-floor building intended to be used as a base for start-ups and coders. The new centre, at 4-5 Bonhill Street, will undergo a full makeover prior to the Chocolate Factory setting up shop in Shoreditch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ChrisC Silver badge

I may be mistaken (only having had some peripheral contact with this side of running a business), but I think utilities (electricity, gas etc.) are still billed seperately for business rate paying properties, just as they are for domestic rate (council tax) paying ones.

1. jake Silver badge

@ChrisC

That was me ... Brain-fart; I read "electrical rates", not "rates" (or something like that). It was 4:30ishAM, and the GSDs and I were about to make our morning rounds ... Halfway through the main barn, I thought "oh, hang on ... that's not right." After we got back in, I thought I "withdrew" it before it was "allowed". If I had known it had been posted, I wouldn't have withdrawn it.

I usually know better than to post before my second cup of coffee :-)

3. Pete 43
    Thumb Up

What a dump

that area is

1. BoldMan
      WTF?

Agreed, I used to live about 150 yards from there and that street is where God would put the tube if London needed an enema! Mind you just round the corner is a lap-dancing club...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except it *does* need an enema.

There is a huge impaction of sh*te somewhere in the Westminster area.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

Lovely place!

Used to work in a site in that area, handy for getting to Liverpool Street but a bit of a nightmare on a Sunday morning. Gayly skipping over the vomit, broken glass and drunks laying in the doorways around the area, trying to clear the homeless' cardboard beds from the door of the building so I could get into work!

4. JDX Gold badge

Now all they need is to get Google to pay some tax in the UK.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF is...?

WTF is "Silicon Roundabout"...? Sounds like it should be somewhere in Milton Keynes or Swindon.

1. Z80

It's the big roundabout around Old Street tube station.

I saw on TV something about Immarsat running their satellite network from a building just next to it. Looked pretty cool inside.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This whole 'silicon roundabout' thing is exactly the sort of desperately embarrassing attempt at copying the Americans that Britain usually comes up with. They have the Ford Mustang, McDonalds and a whole valley full of Googles, Facebooks and Apples. We have a Ford Capri, Wimpy and a roundabout.

1. Juan Inamillion
      Happy

HA HA HA!!!

" We have a Ford Capri, Wimpy and a roundabout."

So sums it up!

7. Natalie Gritpants
    Stop

Please stop calling it Silicon Roundabout

There is no Silicon being produced there. There isn't even much Silicon being produced in Silicon Gorge or on the Silicon Fen but they do stuff that is close enough.

1. Juan Inamillion

Well for an extra letter 'e' you might find more there....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silicon randybout?

Nah - the one in Swindon is the *Magic* Roundabout. And not magic in the Paul Daniels sense either.

9. Paul Webb

Not the Emerald Roundabout then?

No comments about Twitter and Facebook being based in Ireland?

10. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Coat

Roundabout?

Just try cycling "around" it and you'll find It's square!

'Web 2.1 gyratory' perhaps?

Anyway, there are more important problems.

Such as, did fhe arrival of Cây Tre makes up for the disappearance of the wonderful Pitfield Beer Shop?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For high tech companies that area has one benefit - it's passed by lots of fibre networks and only two blocks from Telehouse Metro.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like