back to article 2009 game footage appears in ITV show as 1988 IRA vid

An ITV documentary rehashing well-known links between terrorist/freedom-fighter organisation the Provisional IRA (PIRA) and one-time Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi has drawn fire for seemingly presenting a sequence of game video masquerading as real footage. During the documentary, Exposure - Gaddafi and the IRA, which was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pulled from ITV player.

And replaced by a "coming soon" logo. LOL.

1. ecoharpo

Does anyone have a copy of this footage? - pulled from youtube also (how did that happen?)

2. Tasogare

Idiots

So now instead of using Wikipedia as a source, they're using Youtube? That strikes me as a step in the wrong direction.

1. Clive Galway

Video, or it didn't happen

3. John G Imrie
    Joke

I told you all

That computer games lead to violent behavior.

1. LaeMing
      Happy

Yes!

It's on TV, so it must be true!

4. Scarborough Dave
    FAIL

Armchair Journalism!

The result of not being arsed to research the subject and issues properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can probably lose the 'Armchair' part of the title there...

5. irish donkey
    FAIL

Outstanding

Never let the truth get in the way of a good bit of propaganda.

The sad fact is most of the people that watched this show genuinely believe that Norn Iron is the sort of place that pickups drive about painted in camouflage.

It was all things considered quite a fun place to grow up.

Black helicopters as they did use those in the old days.

6. Charles Calthrop

they're making a documentary of how this guy escaped from his prison cell, killed everyone in the 10 floor prison and ended up blasting adolf hitler next week

1. Goat Jam
      Thumb Up

An Adolf Hitler

in a mech suit with chainguns for hands no less.

7. graeme leggett Silver badge

Lorem et ipsur error?

Is it possible this is the video equivalent of "insert caption here" in a newspaper?

Or is it the case that the third channel has fallen so very low since the days of World in Action?

8. Neil 7
    FAIL

It's ITV for crying out loud

Can anyone say they are really surprised?

ITV are the National Inquirer of UK broadcasters.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

What are you on about?

ITV 1 is Terrestrial Channel of the Year!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14700111

Oh dear...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes but the only other entrant

was QVC.

9. Suburban Inmate
    Holmes

That's ITV for you.

You don't even get what you pay for.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If this is what it takes to be the "Terrestrial Channel of the Year" then just how badly wrong did the Beeb and Channel 4 get it? This even makes Channel 5 look like a reliable new source!

11. CmdrX3
    FAIL

Sad. Is this what we've come to?

If this any judge of the quality of journalism on what is supposed to be a "flagship news show", then we are in bigger trouble than I thought. Kind of makes you hanker after Roger Cook and his investigative journalism show The Cook Report. At least he dealt with real terrorists who used real guns and he received real death threats. You know.... proper investigative journalism.

1. irish donkey
      Mushroom

Roger Cook oh please!

Roger Cook's investigation into Norn Iron's extortion rackets has now been largely discredited.

Telephoning Martin McGuinness's wife at home and asking her 'Is your husband a terrorist?' doesn't really count as serious investigative journalism.

There have been good examples of investigative journalism in Ireland. Roger Cook is not one of them.

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

One all then.

I've seen it said elsewhere today that, not to be outdone, the Beeb's news countered by running an article about the finding of a wrecked cargo ship, sunk in WWII by a U-boat in the Atlantic.

The footage they used to illustrate the Allied merchant fleet losses in the Atlantic was that of, er, the battleship HMS Barham being sunk off Egypt......

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

HMS Barham explosion

Is the most abused WWII footage in the world... Just as capsizing of SMS Blucher is of the WWI...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Just as capsizing of SMS Blucher is of the WWI...

You mean the footage of the Szent Istvan capsizing surely?

I notice they often leave out the bit where the Barham actually explodes; it is very uncomfortable footage. There are a lot of little black figures running down the side of the hull who are suddenly not there any more.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

No, I mean Blucher's sinking at Dogger Bank.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I can only find photos of the Blücher sinking. Is there film footage?

Wow. That sounds so creepy when it type it out....

13. Fuzzy Duck
    WTF?

Breaking ITV News...

BONG!...

"Man with big, round, yellow head cruelly chased by thugs dressed as ghosts while he was trapped in a maze......bizarrely he was only trying to eat dots from the floor.....over to mary nightingale at the scene......"

14. carl 10
    WTF?

ITV? Well I for one am shocked

I'm just amazed to know that ITV shows anything vaguely factual/serious (I don't count so-called "reality" shows in that category).

Last time I looked (which admittedly was probably about the time they stopped showing the A-Team, i.e. many years ago) all they showed was soaps, reality shows, tacky dramas with ex-Eastenders characters and Ant and Dec.

15. nigel 15

new link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7yicCUwex8 since the first one has been removed.

it looks like a computer game too.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Real footage of the real incident did exist - was shown on the news at the time....

In relation to the statement "Helicopters were wrecked by IRA action, but always during mortar bombardments of chopper pads - the heavy machine-guns never made an effective attack". I don't know who made it but it is not true. The IRA did indeed shoot up a Lynx helicopter with a heavy machine gun - I watched their supplied propaganda footage at the time shown on the BBC news. I was serving as an aircraft mechanic in the Army and worked on this actual Lynx many times a few years later during a NI tour. It was very identifiable due to its unique arrangement of circular repair patches on the airframe.

17. Mark Dowling
    Mushroom

Time for object lessons

Nothing less than sackings of everyone who knew where this imagery was sourced from, or who was responsible for ensuring their subordinates do quality work, will suffice.

Only commitment to quality will separate journalists from bloggers and sockpuppets.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what always amused me

Was, where did the PIRA get the money to buy weapons and plastic explosives from the Libyan's? Answer? Largely their friendly American donators.

But general lols at itv

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like