back to article HeyTell voice messenger

Like the mutant offspring of the text message and the walkie-talkie, HeyTell is perfect for anyone who wants to relay vocal messages but who doesn’t want the palaver of having an actual conversation. Once you have selected a contact in the app, you simply hold the talk button down, speak and a voice message is sent to them. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bassey

Missing info

This sounds good but how do you receive the voice message? Is it played automatically or do you get an alert and then have to open the app and play it back? Endomondo offers something similar when I am out training so the wife can send me messages (like "stop at the shop on the way home and grab the milk"). The advantage is that it plays the message without me having to do anything so the phone can remain in my pocket. but if I don't hear it properly I can "play it again".

This sounds like it could be really handy but I'd want to know how it plays back messages.

1. edoardo

you get a notification

you only play the message when you choose to do so

2. Andrew Woodvine

With WhatsApp you can record and send audio as well as text, images and video, so I don't really have any need for an app that just does one of these things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Intrusive...

I tried WhatsApp once, found it intrusive - way to much access to my contacts, and you couldn't shut the damn thing down without resorting to kill tools.

Plus the Android version had the crack dealer marketing model, free for a few months, then charge once you rely on it. I decided to rely on trillian and skype instead.

3. Piloti
    Thumb Down

??????????????

A solution looking for a problem ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MMS?

So what exactly is the benefit over MMS?

1. Bassey

Re: AC @ 13:54

"So what exactly is the benefit over MMS?"

You pay for an MMS. This either goes over WiFi or comes from your data allowance. Besides, I'm not aware of anyone I know even having MMS set up.

5. Steve Evans

No impact on call plan...

"How big is each message? The developer reckons about the same as an average e-mail but in the absence of an export option you'll have to take its word for that."

If you installed 3G Watchdog then you'd be able to tell us ;-)

I'm more worried about my data limit than my talk limits. Now if someone could work out a way of grafting an acoustic coupler to a mobile so I could use talk time for internet access...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MMS

which of course works so quickly and reliably between different networks!

I downloaded this earlier this morning and so did my wife - it's actually bloody handy. Extremely easy and convenient to use and as the reviewer says, messages arrive almost instantly.

7. Silverburn
    Meh

Err...

...why don't I just phone the guy instead?

By the time I've recorded the message and sent it, I'd probably have finished a normal phone call. And does it really cost that much to call these days? Probably cheaper than data at least..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like