back to article Bikini-clad pin-ups cover old school jailbreak

Two inmates of New Jersey's Union County jail last Saturday night pulled off a classic old school jailbreak with the help of a couple of dummies and some strategically-placed, bikini-clad pin-ups, CNN reports. Otis Blunt and Jose Espinosa Otis Blunt, (pictured left), and Jose Espinosa (right) did a bunk from the facility's " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James O'Brien
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm....

I guess they heard the death penalty was banned in NJ and decided hey why not make a break for it? What's the worst they are going to do to me?

On a side note the reason Paris is with us is to remind us there are those out there who are not blessed with beauty. . . *shudders and grabs some Noxema*

2. Bad Beaver
    Paris Hilton

Please explain

If making a hole and slipping out is "old school", what would constitute the "hip" way to break out of prison? Does it involve cement busting L4Z0Rs, the clever hiding of mobiles in every available orifice, and maybe also extremely shaky hand-camera? We all know Paris would possibly just strangle the wardens with her thong, but she is hardly a professional prison hipster.

3. Mark

Re: Hmmm....

Well, if they did have the death penalty in NJ, they wouldn't put it to work on a jailbreak unless they killed guards getting out, would they. And if they were already under murder rap and looking to be offed by government, what do they have to lose? Killed twice as much? Tortured to death? The Comfy Pillow???

The death penalty is showing that sometimes murder is valid, which makes it harder to justify the death penalty for it. And if you get it wrong, you can't unkill them, so your level of proof has to be "certain" rather than "nearly certain", so in cases where the evidence is thin, you're letting a murderer go free rather than risk a mistake. If you incarcerate them, if more evidence to exonerate them comes forward, you can reverse the decision.

4. Chris Wilks
    Happy

At the movies...

And theres me thinking Prison Break was off hiatus. haha

Im suprised cons could get away using well-known tactics taken straight from 'Escape from Alcatraz' and 'The Shawshank Redeption'.

Surely these dramatised escapes are supposed to be fictional, and not actually possible?!?

All we need now is My Cousin Vinny, and we're set!!

5. Simon Gadd

Shawshankesque Escape

Reminds me of the escape method in the Shawshank Redemption - But a lot less messy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Shawshank Redemption

Life imitating art ? Got to hand it to them for proofing that the story was plausible. However, the protagonist in the film was innocent.

7. James

Just pictures from magazines

So, maps and charts are allowed then? What about pictures from newspapers rather than magazines? Cue a delige of requests for the WSJ on the cellblocks... Of course, it sounds like a small thing to deny, but I guess if the prisoners have few freedoms, removing another will generate quite a lot of disquiet.

Would the Daily Mail reader at the back there please sit down and stop shouting "They're supposed to have few freedoms, they're in prison"? Thanks.

8. Alan Parsons
    Coat

Not how I did it..

I rubbed my hands together until they were 'saw', used the saw to cut the bed in half. Two halves make a 'hole', which I climbed out through. Then I shouted until I was 'horse' and rode away on my trusty steed.

...because it's Christmas I'm not even sorry about this post...

9. Spleen

Why bolt the stable door when you can brick it up

"barred inmates from pinning up pictures from magazines on their cell walls"

Would it be so hard to look behind the posters during cell inspections? Instead let's put a niggling ban on the prisoners personalising their cell, that'll deter them from planning to escape from it all right.

What the hell am I doing, I'm expressing astonishment that prison officers - American prison officers at that - could be petty and small-minded.

10. BoldMan

@Alan Parsons

Yet more Tale of Mystery and Imagination, Bravo!!!!

11. Jonathan

Internal walls...

Why not allow posters on internal walls only?

12. Edwin
    Coat

Let the contracting firm know...

...they're meant to stick the cement blocks together - not stack 'em like building blocks.

Cast cement walls are better for this application - kinda harder to take apart (especially if you insert rebar)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@ Internal walls...

Erm, possibly because that would cut down the work of the inmates in figuring out which wall to break through :-)

14. Claus P. Nielsen
    Go

Exactly how slow is the legal process in New Jersey really?

"For the record, 32-year-old Blunt was "awaiting trial on charges of robbery and weapons offenses", while alleged gang member Espinosa was "awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to manslaughter in a 2005 drive-by shooting". ®"

So none of these guys were longtime inmates who could have been working on these rocks for years like in "Shankshaw redemption".

Points to some pretty shoddy workmanship on the prison buildings.

Also makes you wonder why the rest of the inmates haven't dug their way out of there a long time ago.

But perhaps they have - only they used cleverly designed animated dolls to cover their tracks whereas these newcommers only had time to order the cheap dolls for their beds.

15. James Le Cuirot

At large

So I take it they're still at large! I wish them well simply for having the balls to pull that off, though I must admit, they don't look too friendly.

16. Rodrigo Valenzuela
    IT Angle

Just for the obscure IT reference....

If my memory is still working, I remember an episode of Duke Nukem 3D that featured a prison, in which one of the cells had a tunnel behind a poster of bikini clad girl.

R

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Rodrigo

Thanks for the tip. Never could find the way out. Now all I need is to find the install disk again...

18. Dean
    Paris Hilton

Jailbait?

Where's the Paris angle?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Pictures

So, what did the pin-ups look like? Probably more pleasant to look at than the felons.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Dummies

Are dummies standard issue for prisoners now?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Bikini Clad

so far all the comments seem to have forgottenn the most important issue in this story....

where's the link to the bikini-clad pin-ups?

22. Santos L Halper
    Alert

just a thought

so they are going to ban pictures on the walls, but how about the dummies

i say stop giving prisoners dummies or you are asking for trouble!! didn't anyone think it was suspicious that they had a couple of dummies in the first place?

23. Geoff Thompson
    Paris Hilton

How?

The hell did they scale a 25ft wall???

24. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Other side??

Ok, so they covered the holes with pin ups.. what about THE OTHER SIDE??? Did nobody notice the sodding great gaping holes in the outside wall??

And as already pointed out, that would have been them outside the building but how did they get over the outside wall? Helicopter? Jetpac? Mario style double jump?

25. J
    Dead Vulture

Danger!

Man, it looks like Jose there is carrying smallpox to the masses... And me here thinking it had been eradicated.

26. triky
    Coat

well done!

if they managed to dupe the whole prison security system, i reckon they well deserve to get away. also, my judgement is biased after recently watching 3 seasons of OZ.

27. randomtask

@ Edwin

Stacking bricks like building blocks??? Madness!!!!!

28. Scary
    IT Angle

Manslaughter?

How do you manslaughter somebody in a drive-by shooting?

29. Tim
    Stop

LMAO

...only in America. And I'm there right now, (America, not the prison... obviously.)

30. EJ

The dude NEEDED to break out.

How else was he going to get access to his desperately needed PROACTIV stash?

This topic is closed for new posts.