back to article Display defect may crimp iPhone 5 shipments

The iPhone 5 rumor mill continues to churn, with today's tidbit being a report that a flaw in Wintek-produced touchscreen displays will put a crimp in shipments of the not-yet-acknowledged Cupertinian superphone. According to the sometimes spot-on, sometimes "Say what?" market-watchers at DigiTimes, one of the manufacturer's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Meh

One wonders...

... if this is just another Apple Marketing Dept ploy to convince people of a short supply so they will cram the stores to get one.

Apple does tend to have sporadic product releases to ensure that kind of thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: One wonders

There just a bunch of Jita scammers, this screen defect will be dressed up as a feature and they will lap it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well either way I hope they will be releasing an iPhone 5 instead of a T2 / faction variant of the iPhone 4.

2. Jedit Silver badge

Not to defend Apple...

... but the reason they have sporadic product releases is because they only release new products sporadically. Are you perhaps talking about waves of stock intake?

3. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

One wonders...

... is this just a ploy to delay intoduction so Samsung can't sue them?????

2. Dazed and Confused
    Joke

It won't matter anyway

You'll have been banned from buying one by then anyway.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No. People that live in glass houses shouldn't have sex without drapes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the iPhone is made of either red, green and yellow apples along with a few rotten ones. Not impressed at all.

4. cloudgazer
    FAIL

Arghhh WRONG

It's not the displays that Wintek makes, it's just the touch component.

5. Jolyon Smith

Past quarter sales figures as a prediction of next quarter...

At some point everyone that wants/needs something already has one, and the proportion of those people who will want/need to get an updated version of that same thing is only ever going to be a fraction of the total (maybe a big fraction, but still only a fraction).

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

1. OrsonX
      Happy

Stop stoking the global recession.

Just throw your old one away and buy a new one!

1. DrXym

That's the whole idea

"Just throw your old one away and buy a new one!"

That's the only reason they seal the battery in. It surprises me that the EU hasn't crapped all over Apple for doing this.

1. cloudgazer

Apple figured out that by sealing in the battery on devices, whether it be mobiles or laptops, they could increase the available volume for the battery itself - by a significant degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CKJgaA-ImI

Around the 1minute mark.

1. DrXym

@cloudgazer

Sorry but that's just a lame excuse. We've heard it all time and again, how the iPhone couldn't possibly be that thin without a sealed battery blah blah. Then lo and behold a phone turns up from a rival which is exactly as thin but with a removeable battery. e.g. Samsung Galaxy S2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXqnQKs-tA

Look how it achieves this amazing feat - with a thin back cover with some pop clips. Space age technology I'm sure you'll agree.

How is it that a company which is allegedly a master of industrial design cannot produce a phone or computer with a removable battery?

The answer is they don't want to. They know by sealing in the battery that the device becomes more disposable. Disposable devices get replaced with new devices. It is a cynical cash grab, and one which one would have though the EU and other agencies would wish to stomp on.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I gave my original iPhone to my mom when I upgraded to the iPhone 4. The phone has been in use basically every day since 2007 with no appreciable decrease in battery life, which has been annoying her since she wants an excuse to upgrade. So I wonder if the angst about sealed-in batteries is much ado about nothing.

Even so, I checked the teardown photos when I bought my iPhone 4 and my new MacBook Air. It seems that as long as you have the correct pentalobe screwdriver and replacement battery, changing the battery in either one is a pretty straightforward affair that should only take a few minutes (no soldering etc. required).

3. Annihilator
          Stop

@DrXym

"That's the only reason they seal the battery in. It surprises me that the EU hasn't crapped all over Apple for doing this."

Right. It couldn't possibly be because it makes for a neater/smaller solution (you don't need the extra 4 pieces of material's worth of thickness to both encase the battery and create a battery bay in the device). It's also entirely possible to change the battery for a new one if necessary, even if it involves getting someone to do it.

Why would the EU be crapping all over Apple for this though? Plenty of devices have internal non-replaceable batteries. At the very lowest end of the scale, electric toothbrushes are the first thing that comes to mind.

1. Danny 14

indeed

and you say "lowest end" some toothbrushes cost the same as an iphone.

2. Matt_payne666

toothbrushes...

If you own an OralB toothebrush - possibly the most popular brand, then you notice that to comply with weee guidelines, the battery is removable at the products EOL.

you stand the brush on the charger and twist, this breaks the seal and the battery can be removed from the brush for disposal.

2. cloudgazer

Maybe eventually, but we're a ways off that hitting. Even in a big developed market like the US, smartphones are only about 50% of the total market, so there's plenty of room for both Apple and Android to grow. Plus there are all those RIM and Nokia customers with itchy feet.

Apple and Google will continue to grow their markets fast for a good few years yet.

6. neomancer
    Thumb Up

is the hack an eve online player by any chance?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Happy

More likely this is because it's the first non-iPhone hit in Google for "delayed bubble".

Also, it's funny.

2. Frank Russo

He's not a player, he's a goon. Only goons call "reveal bubbles" by the incorrect name.

7. senti

Heh

Ok, that EVE reference is a killer :)

8. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

Wintek

I followed your wintek link and my browser started singing.

Bad register, naughty register. Go to your basket.

9. tonysmith

wintek

faulty part of Apple's next product is made by a company called _Win_tek

- TeeHee.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What? It's Charlie Sheen's new technology venture! ;P

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rich pickings

Wish they'd hurry up and get the damn thing in the shops, I want to watch the prices of a 3GS / v4 plummet on eBay so I can snap one up dirt cheap!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tidbit?

The correct spelling in English is titbit, I believe?

1. mrmond
      Thumb Down

Tidbit or titbit ? Depends where you're from. In the US and canada tidbit is more common. Neither is wrong.

2. Shakje
      FAIL

Only if you're a failure.

12. stuartnz

Nitpicking a tidbit

According to the OED, "tidbit" is older than "titbit"

tit-bit | tid-bit, n.

Pronunciation: /ˈtɪtˌbɪt/ /ˈtɪdˌbɪt/

Etymology: In 17th cent., tyd bit , tid-bit , < tid adj. + bit n.1; later also tit-bit , perhaps after compounds of tit n.3

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You sure about that ?

Tidbit vs. titbit

In American and Canadian English, tidbit is the preferred spelling of the noun meaning (1) a choice morsel or (2) a pleasing bit of something. Titbit is preferred everywhere else. Neither spelling is right or wrong. Titbit is older, but tidbit is etymologically justifiable (the first syllable likely comes from the archaic colloquialism tid, meaning tender). And tidbit is not so new itself; it was well established in American English by the early 1800s.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

In the USA I'd assume a titbit is a nipple shot.

Tidbit on the other hand is a small piece of something, usually information.

Timbit is a type of doughnut.

13. Dan 57

Eve Online addict reporting in!

14. Aldous
    Trollface

its not a defect Apple never make defective products its just your eyes are wonky, just like it wasn't there antenna's it was the way noob's were holding it

15. BorkedAgain
    Gimp

Hoo boy.

By-the-numbers Apple launch marketing process is *go*.

Press release about cancelled staff holidays - Check.

Press release about supply shortages - Check.

What's next; twitter trends showing correlation of iFan enthusiasm and searches for sleeping bags and thermos flasks for the queueing experience?

Such fun. I half-expect to see the staff tinkling a little bell every time another phone is sold; Pavlov and Skinner would be so proud...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Apple = tech for the feckless

I've just been to help a user who can't understand how to use their phone, then boast they're "getting an iPad"!

Why is it that the iPad crowd are usually those who can't use IT to start with?

Of course my response was "Oh dear. You'll been seen as technically illiterate carrying one of those mind!"

Their reaction was 'stunned'. They assumed that I'm as stupid as the rest of the flock and would be impressed. HA! Hardly. I know what I'm doing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wish I could upvote this harder.

2. gisabsr

You are a brilliant person

It must be fabulous to be as clever as you are, and no superiority complex to speak of either. Hoot at parties as well, yes?

17. Mick Sheppard
    Thumb Up

Delayed bubble ftw

The delayed bubble is one feature that has yet to be nerfed. I bet it won't be long before all those cloaky warpies petition for this to change though. Afterall it means they might get caught.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like