back to article Intel rejects Atom rename claim

Intel has denied a claim that it will change the name of its low-power Atom processor when the next version of the chip, codenamed 'Cedar Trail', ships later this year. The unnamed industry mole(s) who say otherwise were't apparently able to say what new name Intel has picked. But they did claim that the rebranding excercise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Raith
    FAIL

Brand image causing slow sales?

"But they did claim that the rebranding excercise is to be put in place because a drop in demand for Atom CPUs is believed by Intel to have resulted from a poor brand image, DigiTimes reports."

Er, no, it's because lots of people used Atom netbooks, and swore never to touch the festering pieces of shit again because they were so atrociously slow, and crippled from a technical perspective in the netbook format.

My next portable will be Brazos. I've used one, it's actually *usable* with Windows 7. Here's hoping by the time I get round to it, a couple of Linux distros will have solid support for the chipsets.

Steven R

2. ChrisInAStrangeLand
    FAIL

It would be nice if they could call it 3rd Generation Atom Dual Core so I know what the hell I'm buying without having to look up the bloody part number. Seriously what the hell is an N470 or a D410 or a D510? That's the reason I gave up and bought the ipad.

3. Mondo the Magnificent
    Facepalm

The oriiginal Atom...

sucked in Netbooks, even with a whopping 2GB RAM

Sure it offered decent battery life and propped XP up in a mediocre fashion, but it's downfall was it's single core design with little help from the Hyperthreading that it supported

Hopefully the genuine dual core Atom will pick up the batten as I do like Netbooks and own one but rarely use it due to the Atom processor limitations.

If not, the Atom will continue it's lower profile life within the innards of entry level NAS type devices and any other "appliance" like geeky device that uses embedded Windows or Linux. Wait a minute! Isn't that the ARM processor's playing field too?

Fark!

1. Piro Silver badge
      FAIL

Dual Core Atom..

Has been out for ages.

It's still not that much cop.

The real netbook chipset comes from AMD in the form of Brazos, but good luck finding netbooks at a good price with it.

The market is still flooded with Atom rubbish.

2. druck Silver badge
      Mushroom

The ORIGINAL Atom...

The original Atom was Acorn's predecessor to the BBC Micro, back in the 8 bit 6502 days, before Acorn invented and spun off ARM.

I wonder which 80's home computer they are going to sully the memories of, with their next underperformed netbook/tablet orientated processor?

4. Stone-eye

Actually..

My old 1201n used the nettop Atom 330 dual core paired with an nvidia ION chipset and was decent for everyday stuff and light gaming. Ive now got a DM1 with a Brazos E350 and there's really not much noticable difference in grunt from the chip just a big leap in battery saving. Benchmarks show a bigger boost but in real terms theres not alot in it. My only hate of the previous intel chip is its hardware limit of 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit chip so I could only ever use 3.25GB RAM even with windows x64.

5. asdf
    FAIL

Atom rulz!!!

Nothing I like more on my couch than having my computer fan loudly blow out hot air on my leg. Gee why isn't Atom in more tablets? If it doesn't have a fan its not a computer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like