back to article TiVo chief downunder ejects to the US

The struggling Australian operation of TiVo, operated by Hybrid TV Services, has quietly lost its founding CEO Robbee Minicola, who has moved to a board position with the company and returned to her native USA. The company has yet to issue an official announcement regarding the executive changes, however Minicola confirmed her …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shane Sturrock
    Linux

They better keep providing schedules

I bought one of the TiVo HD Freeview boxes here last year to add to my old series 1 Thomson that I brought over from the UK and hacked to work in NZ. Both are still running nicely and it gives me three tunes, two HD Freeview and one SD plugged into my Sky box. Not sure what I'll do if they stop providing TV schedules - hopefully the OzTiVO guys will figure out how to get it on so the new machine will keep going otherwise my 10 year old series 1 will carry on and the new one will be junk.

Tried lots of alternatives but always prefer TiVo. Even the original one is still better than anything else out there.

2. P. Lee
    Boffin

is it a hardware issue?

I'd be curious to know if tivo hardware can withstand 24/7 operation when the temperature hits the mid-40's in the summer.

Unlike a data-centre, you won't leave your a/c going at home just to keep your tivo cool. The other issue is that most channels have a "catch-up" tv service, which is the cloud version of tivo. It's tough to sell expensive and dedicated hardware into that environment. Until recently they were helped by the typical Oz ludicrous retail prices - $1000 for a dual-tuner pvr. That sort of pricing is changing.

I've run mythtv and you just have to accept that the hardware dies after 2-3 years. I just upgrade my desktop and use my old desktop to mythtv duty at that point.

It will be interesting to see if the BOB/BOB2 hardware from the ISPs can hold up in the heat. Even my voip router had problems in the summer. Perhaps it won't matter, with rental payments covering the hardware replacement costs.

I'd like to see more common systems certified to 45-50 degrees for harsher climates. They don't need to be high-power, but they do need to be always-on home-server and media-server type systems. My guess would be laptop-type components with big heat-sinks and large fans in a desktop case. Perhaps even normal desktop systems which are under-clocked to prevent over-heating, or better yet, dynamically clocked systems which just slow down in the heat.

3. Mr Floppy

Bye TiVo

the Topfields have been doing it for free for ages. Even with ice tv, it was still a better alternative.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough with the heat already

Mt Isa is not a make or break market for Tivo

This topic is closed for new posts.