back to article Inconvenient truther hints at multiple iPhone October

The use of the letter "s" by a former US vice president has fueled speculation that Apple is poised to release more than one iPhone model this October. Speaking at The Discovery Invest Leadership Summit this week in Johannesburg, South Africa, Apple board member Al Gore reportedly referred to "the new iPhones coming out next …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

October

A bumper month for lawyers predicted as every other phone manufacture attempts to take out injunctions around the world to have it band.

2. Iain Gilbert

8GB iPhone 4

If apple bring out a 8gb iPhone 4 (Like they have with the 3gs etc) it will technically be a new model.

3. Chad H.
    Alert

So...

We have to change our auto-troll scripts to "Al Gore Owns the Internet"?

4. hypercommunist
    Headmaster

Inconvenient homonymy

"The new iPhone's coming out next month"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or

"Or, of course, Gore could simply be using the term "iPhones" to refer to the millions of iPhone 5s being cranked out of Foxconn factories at the rate of 150,000 per day."

it could just be "the new iPhone's coming out next month"

6. Anonymous Coward 101
    Pirate

Mr Gore had an interesting message...

...but did the message have >a happy ending<?

7. Cameron Colley
    FAIL

So, nothing was learned from his speech then?

He was either referring to two new models, or to the many phones of one model. So, no new information there then, just good marketing for Apple when you mention them again...

8. Hud Dunlap
    FAIL

He did say that,

From the link you posted.

" I took the initiative in creating the Internet". Not the reality " I supported the funding of the internet".

And don't tell me he misspoke. He has been a politician most of his adult life, Words are his craft and trade.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"And don't tell me he misspoke. He has been a politician most of his adult life, Words are his craft and trade."

It's debatable whether most politicians are good with words. Most modern politicians are quite good at the media sound-bite or the quick put-down. (That is, in fact, probably the only skill they need and therefore the only thing our leaders are selected for. A crap system for electing governors, but probably still better than the alternatives.) Lawyers are similar, although they play the same game in the language of the court rather than the street.

Using words precisely to convey an exact shade of meaning whilst excluding all the plausible alternatives is a skill you are more likely to need in technical writing, and so you find that skill in scientists, engineers, mathematicians and programmers, but not politicians or lawyers.

9. Charles E

Plural.

I wouldn't read too much into the iPhone(s) plural. That is a common enough way to refer to a singluarl item that ships en masse.

Hey, the new phone books are here!

1. Eddy Ito

Almost

Unfortunately now that I don't have a land line any more I get about 4 phone books. I guess now that I'm not bound to a single carrier all the different companies feel I want their version of the phone book. That would be great if I had a bird but I don't so I dump them in the recycle bin along with a lot of other people judging by what I see that gets put out for pick up when I drive by. One more dead tree edition killed by the intarwebs.

10. ElReg!comments!Pierre

2 new iPhones?!!!??!

That's amazing news. We should give the guy another Nobel Peace Prize.

11. 404
    Childcatcher

Steve Jobs

WILL have Al Gore killed, accidental like, with an iceberg or something similar.

Something global warmish anyway... Steve doesn't play.

;)

1. Armando 123

Eaten by a polar bear, perhaps

12. QrazyQat

Those who think that those beta iPhone's were not deliberately "lost" for the sake of internet buzz will also think that Apple didn't ask Al to make this announcement.

13. Archimedes_Circle
    Facepalm

Would Al Gore saying, "the new iphone is amazing" have sparked an article claiming that apple was only going to make one, and that it must cost $100 billion to cover R&D, advertising, and maintain APPL profits?

Seriously, they must intend to make more than one iphone.

"The new DROID 2s are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!"

14. Patrick 17

I have a friend who works in the iPhone team of a very large UK internet retailer. He says they've been told there will be a slimmer & larger screened iPhone 5 (similar to Samsung Galaxy) and a cheaper cutdown iPhone - presumably the S model. Though who knows how reliable that info is.

15. RubberJohnny

GSM version with microSIM and CDMA version without. Two phones.

Wake me up when they are here.

16. MonkeyScrabble
    Facepalm

Cunning Linguist

"And don't tell me he misspoke. He has been a politician most of his adult life, Words are his craft and trade."

Daoes anyone remember Dan Quayle and his Potatoe?

Anyone?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like