back to article Star Control

Star Control 2 is a bloody good game, but not the game I fell in love with. Yet it was playing the original Star Control on my Sega Genesis that just makes me feel all squidgy inside. With colour spaceships that battle across my screen to eerie alien toonz, I didn't need Arnie in Total Recall to fulfil my sci-fi fetish. Star …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CountZer0
    Alien

Retro Lives!

Star Controllers yearning for some modern good times should try Space Pirates And Zombies (AKA a nicely unPC SPAZ) plenty of very non PC laughs and some of the best gameplay since...the original. Refreshingly done by 2 coders in their metaphorical bedroom rather than the usual army of Zombies working at a major studio.Only a tenner too!

2. Aaron Em

Promethean fire?

You do realize that Star Control was based on the old PDP-1 Spacewar, yes?

3. ThePlanMan
    Thumb Up

Can't Believe it

Haven't heard from this game in ages, but after playing SC:3 (not StarCraft newbies) on a demo disk from Computer Shopper in the mid 90's i actually pre-ordered it and then subsequently found that the game came bundled with the original Star Control and SC:2 with it as well!

SC:3 had some amazing real-time resource gathering and colony management.

After running through the game a few times I was finally compelled to play SC:2 and 1 and oh my god, they simply blew me away.

Simply one of my favourite gaming experiences of my early gaming career.

4. CD001

vs mode

Oh - the number of hours my and my brother played this game on his Megadrive when we were kids... "Launch fighters, launch fighters, launch fighters" :D

5. Ramazan
    Linux

The Ur-Quan Masters

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/, don't know about SC1 re-implementations though

6. Alastair 7

It's a shame this isn't about SC2, because good lord was that an engrossing game. I lost whole sections of my childhood to it, and learning more about the backstory that surrounded it.

Looking back (using the Ur-Quan Masters port that Ramazan posted) it still holds up- a huge story, with plenty of mystery and intrigue. Just such a shame that the original creators weren't allowed to make a sequel (SC3 was made by another company).

7. Hoagiebot
    Thumb Up

The Secret Spathi Cypher is "Huffi-Muffi-Guffi..."

Ah Star Control! Definitely the greatest game to grace the universe since Frungy, the Sport of Kings! Back during the early 1990's a good friend of mine and I used to play the heck out of the PC versions of Star Control I and later its sequel Star Control II when they first came out. In fact, we became so obsessed with Star Control II's "Super Melee" mode that every year for over a decade we held an annual Super Melee tournament against one another, with the winner getting all of the Super Melee champion bragging rights for this year. Throughout all of the tournaments that we held back during the 1990's he crushed me, but all of the tournaments that we have held during the 2000's have been mine... Little did he know that I was saving the custom fleet of ships that he put together for the tournament each year so that I could practice against them between tournaments! We would probably still be playing our annual Super Melee tournament against one another if he didn't go off, get married, and have a kid. The nerve of some people! I mean really-- who would choose getting a career, a wife, and a kid over Star Control!? As late as 2009 I was still getting in trouble with my boss for playing "The Ur-Quan Masters" re-release of Star Control II during my lunch breaks at work, but I had to keep playing-- those Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts won't destroy themselves!

I would love to keep reminiscing about these wonderful games and the sheer genius of Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III, but I am a busy space captain: I still need to find some more pieces of this "Ultron" thingamajig to please these mask-wearing depressed creatures, bag me some Merry Whumpets on the surface of a Telluric world, surreptitiously sell some of my own comrades to the Druuge as slaves for some extra spending money, and find out if I am biologically compatible with that vixen of a Syreen captain that I met earlier... Then again, I picked up a bunch of cryogenically suspended Shofixti maidens on planet Alpha Cerenkov I the other day, and given their species' reputation of "fast repopulation," perhaps it would be more fun to defrost them and party with them instead... ;)

8. HP Cynic

One of the best games ever: a friend and I battled endlessly on my MegaDrive, We still make references to it 20+ years later!

9. Saucerhead Tharpe

Amiga version for me

My wife and I played many a game on the Miggy

I cabn't believe how long it took for me to cotton on to her "lure the Dreadnaught onto the planet with the Shofixti" strategy

Gods I'm dumb sometimes

Having played a commercial version of SpaceWar in a Motorway servvice station as my first ever video game sometime in the mid to late 70s, I prefer the original melee game to the strategic ones, and what fun they are

10. asdf

bah the most important game released on genesis

Herzog Zwei started the RTS genre imho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzog_Zwei

1. jimbobmcgee
      Thumb Up

I wanted to say this, too...

But you beat me to it, sir...

11. Sly
    Coat

Star Control and Star Flight

to the stars! (and then that little turn based game called STARS! - it's almost as bad as angry birds is now for addicting.)

SC1/SC2 SF1/SF2 are truly epic games. Tandy 1000 for my SF enjoyment... but PCs for the SC play. I still find myself pulling out the virtual machines (DosBox FTW) and playing the old favorites. For some quick time wasting, I tend towards SC1, Pinball Illusions, Epic Pinball (the Enigma table is truly an epic use of programming), and a hacked version of Doom2 with rapid fire everything and 100K ammo for it all (double barrel shotgun if your friend... cyberdemon kill in 1.5 seconds)

retro games FTW... back when content was king (OK, maybe not Doom for content)

mine's the one with the 5.25" floppy organizer

12. jkozura
    Thumb Up

AMIGA

The Amiga version of Star Control had the best graphics and sound as far as I know. The Sega Genesis version was poor by comparison.

13. jonharrell
    Pint

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

All I need to say: Go down load it NOW!

14. Enric Martinez

Uuuuuuh!

I played SC and SC II on the Amiga, SC 3 on MS DOS (on my brand new Pentium, and I mean PENTIUM) and many years later Ur-Quan Masters under Linux...

15. Tom 15

I remember this

I got this game when I was 5 years old... needless to say I had no idea what was going on!

16. frankgobbo

Star Control 4 life

I love Star Control - but nowhere NEAR as much as Star Control II.

Having hung around on the efnet IRC channel of the same name for over 15 years, I've dedicated half my life to the game, and The Ur Quan Masters is an awesome reinvention of the classic SC2.

SC3 had nothing to do with the guys who made SC1/SC2 which is why it sucks.

Sign the petition to get Toys For Bob to make a real Star Control sequel, and do SC2 review on the antique code show

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/petition/petition.php

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like