back to article Acid3 browser test drops DOM tripper-upper

A browser test that tripped up Microsoft and helped pull the company into greater compliance with web standards has itself been updated for the changing web. Acid3 has been modified so as not to fail browsers which implement certain APIs that are finding more widespread use online. Ian Hickson, W3C HTML spec editor, wrote in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Herby
    Joke

Now if they had a test for web sites being in conformance...

Oh wait, there is IE6

1. Steve Knox

http://validator.w3.org/

2. The BigYin

Heh

IE9 still does not pass Acid3 (95/100, one box coloured wrong, text shadows missing)

FF6 on Windows and Ubuntu passes with flying colours (smooth animation, pixel-perfect with reference).

My guess is that Opera and Safari will fair similarly to FF (as I don't run those, I can't test them).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IE

IE9 scores 100/100 here, and the text shadow will be fixed in IE10.

1. The BigYin

Not for me

I tested on IE9 64bit on a Win7 64bit (fully patched). I have no plug-ins or toolbars are any other crap in IE (in fact, I barely use IE) so it is vanilla.

There is more to the criteria than just the "score", so your "100/100" is still a fail.

1. Argh

Tested on IE9 vanilla, 64-bit Vista and got 100/100 with IE9, although missing the shadow from the reference image, so not perfect. Still not as bad as Chrome with Google Analytics opt-out extension.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

re: Not for me

Im not sure what is wrong with your setup but the same IE9 64bit on Windows 7 setup scores 100/100 every time following the changes to the test. I am aware that there is more tested than just the score, but it's not only IE that isn't perfect in that regard, Firefox 7 on my machine is still having a couple of speed and no of attempt issues reported when clicking on the A in Acid.

3. Dave Walker 1
    Pint

Best software name ever

I have encouraged use of the name 'Internet Exploder' since v6 on windows...

It just seems to perfectly encapsulate the entire ethos of the package

4. yoinkster

Just done it on chrome for the roffles, got a big red "YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THIS AT ALL" in the top left with the FAIL on top of it. Made me chuckle.

1. Argh

Looks fine in Chrome for me, 100% and looks just like the reference image.

Interestingly though, if I install the Google Analytics opt-out extension (written by Google) it fails so horribly, looking a complete mess.

Nice way for Google to make you want to keep Analytics enabled :)

1. Argh

I just updated Chrome again (I was on a previous 14.x version before, now on 14.0.835.186) and can now confirm that I also get the "YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THIS AT ALL" message, so it looks like they're going backwards.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting use of the word "standard"

For a lot of these technologies there is only a "proposed standard" or, possibly, a "de facto standard".

6. Dick Emery

Bizarrely although I get 100/100 in Firefox 6.0.2 I get a message in the top left hand corner in red saying 'you should not be able to see this' or words to that effect.

1. The BigYin

Hatstand

The fact that the rendering is not pixel perfect means that it is a fail (the "score" is not actually a score and 100/100 does not mean "pass". I do wish people would realise that).

I tested on 6.0.2 on two separate platform and it worked fine. Deeply odd.

2. DJV Silver badge

You should not see this at all?

First time I've run Acid 3 in months. Funny, but I saw that message on one run using the Comodo browser (Webkit based) - a second run had it appear for a split second and then it disappeared. Other browsers sometimes show it momentarily.

All the browsers I tested* got 100%, including IE9 (and I tested the latest versions of FF, Comodo, Chrome, Safari and Opera.

*except Lynx - :)

7. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Facepalm

"Acid3 compliance was a goal Microsoft worked hard to meet on Internet Exploder 9"

Really? Is that a typo or are you just being juvenile?

8. TheTallGuy
    Boffin

Umm 100% pass = fail?

Head explode on that one, perhaps Daily Fail needs to suggest this to correct the rise in clearly false exam results in the UK.

9. AlexS
    FAIL

IE9

IE9 gets 100 out of 100 but still fails.

Drop shadow not rendered.

Animation is NOT smooth like firefox.

You are the weakest link - goodbye...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

100/100 does not necessarily mean pass

The Acid3 test makes this quite clear in the supporting text the browser must get 100/100 AND render pixel perfect according to the reference image provided. The 100/100 is merely the programmatic steps that a fail can be detected on by the Acid3 code (normally because the JavaScript throws an error), the Acid3 code does not analyse pixel rendering, hence you have to do it by sight.

Chrome was passing but the recent update 14.0.835.186 fails, despite scoring 100/100 because it displays a message that should not be seen, the same goes for FF 6.0.2. IE9 is missing the text shadow. Opera is the only one out of these browsers to pass fully.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like