back to article Microsoft: Mango arrives in two weeks

Microsoft will begin rolling out the Mango upgrade to its Phone 7 platform within the next couple of weeks, according to a senior staffer. Brandon Watson, director for Windows Phone 7, used his Twitter account to broadcast the news that the upgrade would be coming soon. “Boom...no more rumors. Mango to start rolling out on # …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged

oh shit

Does this mean 02 will nail the search to Yahoo! again? Nobody wants that piece of shit.

2. awt
    Thumb Up

i like it...

Really looking forward to Mango. I've been on WP7 for about 6 weeks, and I absolutely love it. I don't collect apps, I just like a fluid, functional and appealing interface for the features i actually want and use. and WP7 has it in spades. bring on the browser upgrade!

3. M Gale

Malware vendors?

Typo or sarcasm?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was just wondering that myself!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Truth

Seen Vodafone 360?

4. alwarming
    Facepalm

Rumours ? What rumours ?

People spread rumours if something is atleast mildly interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

Sufficiently interesting to comment on? No?

1. alwarming
        Coat

Re: Err...

Subtle difference: my comment is not on the product itself.. it's on the head-up-their-asses attitude of MS execs - which is always fair game for commenting.

What is arguable is though why I would read it in first place ? Beats me now.

5. randombrick
    Stop

surely a typo?

<quote>since individual *malware* vendors will be tweaking <quote>

6. largefile

malware?

>>According to the company, there will be no set date for release, since individual malware vendors will be tweaking the software for their own handsets when they are ready<<

Is this a type or another feeble attempt at anti MS humor?

7. Archimedes_Circle
    Thumb Up

>since individual malware vendors will be tweaking the software for their own handsets when they >are ready.

Nice. You almost don't notice it. Probably cause it feels right.

8. Mikel
    FAIL

"Malware vendors" ?

That was a little snarky even for ElReg and I'm not a WP7 fan. It's fair to call the thing "negligible", but "malware" implies some specific malicious intent against the user rather than negative competitive maneuvers in the marketplace. Maybe "nullware" would be more appropriate, representing market share, developers, and common interest without explicit malice focused on the end user.

WP7 globally had last week 0.5 percent market share of new users: http://j.mp/gl6Fom+. For every Windows Phone that sold 80 Android phones, 50 iPhones, and 40 other phones sold. It's amazing we're even talking about this WP7 thing. How many articles has ElReg had about Samsung's Bada, which has bigger market share? In the last year even Windows Mobile 6.5 phones have sold better, and promise to continue to do so. Where are the articles about the thriving Windows Mobile 6 ecosystem?

This new OS obsoletes all the old phones by supporting front side camera. Retailers have to be ecstatic about that. I bet they can't wait to stand up their unsold stock that isn't moving units against the new inventory that promises to do the same, but has that feature.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...there will be no set date for release, since individual *malware* vendors will be tweaking the software for their own handsets...

what?

10. Robert E A Harvey

ripe?

Every time I buy a mango I have to leave it in the fruit bowl for weeks until it is any good.

When is SP1 due?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mango is actually SP2...

11. Growler
    Devil

Shurely shome mistake?

"Individual malware vendors"? That's a harsh thing to say about LG, Samsung and HTC! :)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I say Meego, you say Mango

let's call the whole thing off

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Indeed

"release, since individual malware vendors..."

How apposite

14. Paddy Fagan
    Happy

The reg typo of the year!!

> According to the company, there will be no set date for release, since individual malware vendors will be tweaking the software for their own handsets when they are ready.

Despite most peoples general distain for them I don't think anyone thinks -

handset vendor == malware vendor

Paddy

15. Vic

Freudian slip?

"individual malware vendors will be tweaking the software for their own handsets when they are ready"

You might be right, but it's a little out of character for El Reg to put it quite so forcefully...

Vic.

16. Clive Summerfield
    WTF?

"Malware vendors"? I know some phone manufacturers put out some pretty poor hardware, but calling it malware seems a bit strong

17. JDX Gold badge

Damn you autocorrect™

That is all

18. djswivel
    Thumb Up

I quite like WP7

I've been using it for 2 weeks now, and for me it's great. Slick, simple and easy to sync. I look forward to mango appearing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks to El Reg, one can alway peek at a user's previous comment history to see if they are an MS-fanboy or not.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@I say Meego, you say Mango

Had an idea for the Nokia "rejig our ringtone" competition ... just add some words to the "tune"

Wanted Symbiam

maybe Meego

but I got Mango

20. Eponymous Cowherd
    FAIL

Too little, too late

You have a lot of people out there using Windows Mobile apps. Suddenly Microsoft pulls the rug out from under your ecosystem with Phone 7. Suddenly the platform (windows Mobile) your corporate apps run on becomes as rare as hens teeth.

What do you do? You could start using expensive enterprise "bricks", pretty much the only thing that is still available with Win Mobile but, realistically, you are going to have to port your app to Phone 7, Android or iOS.

We are still in the process of deciding which one to choose, but have already discounted one as a non starter. Can you guess which?

21. Graham Jordan

Fed up of Android

Perhaps its just my shitty HTC Desire, perhaps its lazy developers not catering for all phones and thus apps are buggy as hell, perhaps it's HTC waiting an age after a new release before giving it to us customers, but I'm fed up of my Android and am very tempted to go the route of WP7 once the new bread of phones start rolling out.

I've not actually seen a single one though, are they any good? I mean honestly, GUI aside, will i be alerted to a new mail on googlemail, will it delete from source, will it read my gmail contacts or port them and will the battery last more than 6 hours?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Graham Jordan

The answer is yes to all of your gmail accounts, but I am using a hotmail and yahoo account. Can't see why wouldn't work with gmail, unless Google are being naughty! My batter easily lasts the whole day until my last train at 12:50 and using the phone alot.

1. Techs UK
        Stop

...last train

I hope you're not a train driver - on the phone?

2. The Original Steve
      Go

Snap

HTC Desire was my personal phone - and I LOVED it. Rooted it, custom ROMs... really nice phone.

Recently moved our company phones to HTC Trophy's (WP7) and... we'll it just sort of works! Staff are over-the-moon with it... and so am I. I was a huge Nokia Symbian fan before the Desire so I'm holding off until Nokia pump out some Mango based handset.

For geeky stuff I'd still go Android as it's fun to play with and very, very flexible / customisable - but for a sleek handset without the Apple shite with it I'm rather pleased with WP7.

3. fiddley
      Thumb Up

Do it!

Check my history, I've consistenly posted good things about the OS. It is waaaaayyyy better than android PROVIDED you're not a tinkerer! You can't really do much outside of make phonecalls, browse the web, facebook, apps, kindle etc. It's really neat the way it combines all your calendars and contacts, I've over 400 (Outlook, Hotmail & Facebook) and it's easy to get to whoever really quick. You won't need to worry about memory management or battery life. Car analogy: I think Android is a bit like owning a 1962 beetle which needs a lot of love and attention. Beautiful thing, but sometimes you just want to nip around in your BMW 5 series which just works. iPhone is more like a Ford mustang - loved by all who own them, but you can tell none of them have ever experienced a proper European car :) Zune desktop is lovely, still suprised it came out of Redmond! And the best bit is - it's not an iPhone! No-one else has one, so people are curious when they see one so you can show off a bit to them = "I'm popular, hurrah!".

Honestly, try and give one a go if you can, maybe your phone shop will do a no quibble exhange within a week or something?

I'm going to be down modded to hell for this post, it seems you lot really don't like WP7! Should've posted it on cnet, where it seems Microsoft are the Messiah! Still I love this place for your.. ahem... strong opinions, so fire away guys :-)

22. M. B.

Looking forward to it... maybe...

I got the Samsung Focus a while ago and have been slowly warming to it over the past couple months. The interface is intuitive and slick, media playback is flawless, sync is easy, voice search works fine, calls are clear, reception is good, screen is very nice, powers on and off very quickly, pocket IE works fine, Exchange/Hotmail/Gmail/POP3 all sync up easily, OneNote works brilliant, and pocket Word/Excel do what they do. SkyDrive integration is great, especially picture sync while traveling. I'm actually surprised at how well it all comes together in a decent package (4 inch screen is just a bit much for my liking) and I get 24-36 hours out of it no problem. A lack of apps hurts the platform, particularly Skype. You'd think that would have been fixed by now.

I'm just afraid of what they're going to break with Mango.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like