back to article Booze giant's Facebook tie-up sparks ad concerns

Global alcohol retailer Diageo has announced that it is stepping up its multimillion dollar partnership with Facebook, leading to fears of booze adverts reaching young audiences. Diageo said that its current deal with Facebook has seen US sales of Smirnoff, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Crown Royal and Jose Cuervo Margaritas jump …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lockwood
    Childcatcher

And when children walk into ASDA/Tesco/Mr Singh's Corner Shop, they get exposed to seeing that alcohol exists as well!

1. Rod MacLean
      Childcatcher

Yep

And they see them on the sides of buses, on football teams shirts and well, everywhere really!

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The other half of the glass

Diageo's sales jumped by 20 per cent. Did their competitors jump by -20 per cent? How much of that 20% was bought by children with their pocket money?

If people are concerned about underage drinking, why not organise a school trip to visit some homeless drunks? How about an art class on face painting all those who do not object the morning after a binge? Instead of trying to ban everything, cann't we see some positive suggestions?

3. Dave Oakes Silver badge
    Pint

"or under 18, the legal drinking age in the UK"

Not quite true, children over the age of 5 can consume alcohol with parental supervision, when they get to 16 they can drink wine, beer or cider in licensed premises if it's bought by an adult and is served with food. When they are 18 they can buy any form of booze they want.

1. DJ 2
      Pint

Nearly right.

Children (-18) can consume alcohol in a Pub / Resturant, as long as they do not buy or are bought alcohol. Basically if it is free they can get as sloshed as they want.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As usual...

..Society tries to control people in various ways but it has little effect as the majority (OK, not all) but people make their own decisions and yes some decisions are affected by social pressures etc, but banning alcohol adverts, similar to smoking bans doesn't really make any appreciable difference, I don't think.

Posting as AC for the upcoming reason. I became an alcoholic a while back and no amount of small white print on adverts saying "Enjoy X drink responsibly" or "visit drinkaware.co.uk" made any difference to me. Never done either of those things. My only saving grace is that I never got violent after drinking - just a few seizures and hospital visits; I've just ruined my family relationships and my health. Perhaps it should say that on the adverts.

Drink responsibly people, and be aware....

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Facepalm

FFS!

" fears of booze adverts reaching young audiences"

But the other 95% of their lives it's OK for them to see drink ad's promoting the demon alcohol?!

I don't like FB personally but honestly, what a crock'o'crap! Digging at the internet, the current bogeyman!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I used FB...

I'd probably want to be pissed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not gonna work

When they banned tobacco advertising, tobacco profits rose because they weren't spending all that money on advertising.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook has adverts?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Happy AdBlock Plus user here

I was wondering the same thing.

I of course make sure ABP is also installed on the kids' PCs before they venture into the hive of scum and villany that is the interweb.

8. The Cube
    Go

Could be the start of a good trend

Once they have banned alcohol advertising (everywhere, not just on FB) and started to deal with that social menace we can move onto some more unwanted plagues on society. First, ban all McDonalds and other junk food advertising too as that is also a social menace and costing our economy a fortune.

Don't just ban it on ArseBook though, as others pointed out ban it on football shirts, buses, everywhere, no advertising alcopops or burgers to make any more fat, spotty lagered tossers making every town centre uninhabitable for humans from 18:00 Friday to 08:00 Sunday, burberry clad, blackberry toting vermin.

9. DavidK
    Pint

Drinkaware?

I'm drink aware. I'm aware I want another drink.

10. Lusty

FB ads

Hmm if only Facebook had some kind of advanced targeting which could show adverts to specific age groups. Oh wait, they DO, and you can target single men between 18-21 who like golf and swimming and live in Grenwich who also have a university education if you like, so there's no valid argument for banning alcohol adverts apart from "I don't understand this so I'd like to shut it off"

11. Graham Dresch
    Pint

Who appointed Alcohol Concern as Nanny ?

It's well past time that this self appointed 'charity'? was muzzled, they have no official status and seem to be the worst kind of interfering do - gooding organisation.

If they want to make policy, I suggest they provide candidates for the next general election.

Mines a pint, and Alcohol Concern can FOAD.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

themselves, like all good nannies

cheers

12. Big Al
    Alert

How soon we forget...

""

The makers of alcoholic drinks including Baileys and Smirnoff have agreed to introduce a code of practice for their adverts of Facebook and other social media, and said that such websites are now often the main route for promoting alcoholic drinks.

New guidelines will restrict access to official brand pages for users under 18 years old on social networking sites such as Facebook. Advertising will only be placed in environments where more than 70 per cent of viewers are over 18.

The European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD), which represents the largest alcoholic spirits manufacturers in Europe and America, such as Diageo, said the new guidelines will extend responsible alcohol advertising to brand pages on Facebook, blogs and mobile apps

""

From the Daily Telegraph, Sept 21st 2011.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like