back to article Oracle slates 'extreme' system kickoff

Oracle has scheduled a systems announcement ahead of its early October OpenWorld conference, and has just released a patch for its Solaris 10 operating system ahead of the expected launch of the long-awaited Solaris 11. As usual, Oracle is vague about what the September 26 announcement will be about. "Oracle senior executives …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kevinclosson.wordpress.com

The big announcement

After one works out how to do high-bandwidth physical I/O (Exadata) the next steps are to increase the methods available to avoid physical I/O. Exadata has some I/O elimination capabilities in the Storage Index feature which is code that executed entirely in the storage servers. So, having said that, the next way to avoid physical I/O is to have massive cache. But where? The X2-8 model finally supports 2TB RAM now that it is based on the E7 Xeon and supports larger DIMMS. So where would it be?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I'll go ahead: The big news will likely be servers connected to the infiniband fabric but *not* a part of the Real Application Clusters cluster. They will serve the sole purpose of caching data.

That's just a guess.

2. Nate Amsden

overwhelm?

You mean they're not going to overwhelm the world like they did when they announced that tape drive system ?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/24/oracle_hybrid_disk_tape_device/

3. John Riddoch

ZFS Flash archive

Installing a ZFS Flash archive has been supported for a while now - we've been doing it for ages. The new part is you can do it from the text installer and with Live Upgrade.

Also, it's "ISM", not "IMS". You can have 4MB pages regardless of using ISM, but the ISM part does lock the pages in memory and saves the machine allocating swap space to the anonymous pages.

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Joke

It's obvious....

What does Larry think is the real breakthrough, "a new product that will change the dynamics of the datacenter and help customers achieve higher performance at lower cost"? Obviously, it's Oracle-badged black turtle-necks, only $29.99 per unit if bought with the recommended Oracle support licence. "Wear one like Larry, and feel like a winner*!"

(*Oracle is not responsible for poor material/thread performance should you wear your Oracle Extreme Datacenter Turtleneck (TM) in a manner outside the operational parameters required by your Oracle Extreme Datacenter Turtleneck (TM) Support Agreement.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Matt!

At least they are still making own h/w!

Not repackaging Intels' reference designs!

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

RE: Hey Matt!

"At least they are still making own h/w! Not repackaging Intels' reference designs!"

Ah, the irony! You do realise the new "mini Exadata", which was Larry's big news, is completely Intel Xeon, not SPARC in any form, nor even Opteron (Snoreacle ditched their AMD servers because they sold even worse than the rest of their server ranges!), uses Larry's clone of RHEL, not Slowaris, and is just the (limited) development of a hardware stack put together for Oracle by hp? How much more "reference" can you get? Try again, Sunshiner!

/SP&L!

6. J.T

Exalogic with more storage and XEN.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like