back to article Resistance 3

It's hard to know whether to blame its own over-bearing derivation or the over-saturation of FPS games in general: either way, Resistance 3 is an anticlimatic end to a series that has struggled to rise above mediocrity. Resistance 3 Holey smoke That's hardly surprising. The greatest achievement of the first two Resistance …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Unhappy

Such a Shame

The first game had a strong storyline, enjoyable and in-depth single player campaign and atmospheric feel, despite being a bit of a HL2 rip-off. The second one was a disappointment, the story didn't seem to follow on from the first, and it looks like the third one is no better.

1. MJI Silver badge

Not really

Very atmospheric and _I_ like the story line _so_far_

2. MJI Silver badge
    Megaphone

Really enjoying this game

I have played both previous games, RFOM I prefered to R2, I like the weapon wheel and the narration.

The weapons are great fun and all different.

I am still on the main campaign not to spoil but after the New York shoot ups.

Haven't yet tried multiplayer as still on main campaign (also trying to get to level 45 on Killzone 3).

You really feel for Joe as you cross the country, You like the people you meet even if they are a bit cocky (yes Charlie Tent).

As to all the other FPS this year - the average person doesn't buy every game, didn't bother with Crysis 2 due to Killzone, Homefront looked poor, Bulletstorm was same time as KZ, also a lot of us do not jump on the CoD bandwagon.

This is an Insomniac game, they generally make very good games.

Controls pretty well with Move.

Personally for the Single Player it would be in the 80s, as to its most similar competitor (PS3 FPS so Killzone).

Controls KZ3 better

Story R3 better

Characters R3 better

Guns both are good Deadeye > VC32, STA52 > Carbine, as to pistol Magnum HE44 wins. Silly weapons R3 has it licked with the Atomiser, but KZ3 has jet packs and Exos.

Campaign length R3 10 hours so far, did KZ3 in about 6.

Graphics KZ3 but R3 are not bad at all.

Acting - similar not quite Uncharted standard.

As before my personal feeling is mid 80s, I prefer the SP to Killzone3 but have not yet done the multiplayer.

A nice touch is levelling the weapons through use, all are different rates, still on 2 with Rossmore despite lots more kills than the level 3 wildfire or Bullseye.

If you like story driven FPS buy it

1. Andrew the Invertebrate

The review was right about one thing, the last chapter is a massive anti-climax, being able to "win" the massive climactic battle with just 8 shots is a little dissapointing, not exactly a great bit of level design.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In summary

not modern warfare 3 -20%

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doesn't contain special forces marines (hoo-rah) or space marines (rah-hoo) +20%

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

;)

Tsk! tsk!

It's Oorah! in the Marines.

2. Humpty McNumpty

CoD games have barely evolved since COD2 I would put it on a par with that series whereas Battlefield is better.

4. Humpty McNumpty

I like it

I picked this up the other day with a free Blu-ray copy of Battle: Los Angeles, I figured it couldn't be too bad being the third instalment and as it was effectively £25 thought I'd give it a shot.

Our household has all the current consoles and I have a reasonably spec'd gaming PC that usually get all FPS or strategy titles played on it, especially if there is an online element. This would only be the second game I have properly played on the PS3 the other being the incredibly derivative Killzone 2 (which deserves every accusation the author throws at this game). As it was charged and to hand I have been playing it with PS Move and it works really well, in fact this could tempt me to play more FPS on consoles in future and perhaps splurge £600 on a PC rebuild less often than every 3 years. It doesn't sound like I'll be trying the multi-player any time soon as I like big maps with 32+ players, but in single player mode I find it quite enjoyable and a good match for my casual gaming style. My main criticism would probably go to the PS Move controllers which are simply not comfortable to hold, especially true of the joystick and its location of L1.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real thing that made the first game so good was the ability to do 2 player one the same screen, co-op play. This was sadly missed in 2. I'm guessing its not in 3 either...

1. ran93r

I believe split-screen co-op is in.

2. Nick 15
      Thumb Up

Split-screen and online campaign co-op is back for R3, makes this game an 80-90% for me.

6. MJI Silver badge
    Alert

Finished it

11 hours

Brilliant fun

Starting a hard pass now

Got a, PS3 buy it!

7. Iain Hamilton
    Thumb Down

unfair review

When are reviewers going to stop marking stuff down for not being COD. It isn't trying to be COD, oh and COD did not invent the genre so stop saying the MP modes are copies of COD. I think you will find most of these modes in Quake 3 and UT, ffs. Hire a proper reviewer that's vaguely aware of gaming before 2006.

8. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

I just

Want a UN resolution to demand that Valve releases the Episode 3 or HL3 now already!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

NO!

Unless ... the bid for a Palestinian state is defeated.

Where is my white cat? I can't move around well in this wheelchair.

9. itmonkey
    Facepalm

Shame

RFOM was a launch day treat, 40 player online and fantastic fun. Somehow that was never quite recaptured.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

oh come on. Some of us havent finished Resistance 2 yet - and you go and give the end

of it away on the 2nd paragraph of this review. thanks.

1. Spleen

Resistance 2 has been out for two and a half years. You probably don't want us to tell you that Darth Vader is Luke's father either. Or that Jesus gets nailed to a cross but comes back to life after three days. Oops.

11. Citizen Kaned

COD?

pah, BF3 PC will be the best FPS this year, and next... back to 64 players, with jets and tanks etc. i cant wait! hopefully its not just bc3 with 64 players as BC2 was a bit of car crash IMO

i must admit i did enjoy kz3 with the sharpshooter & PSMove. its a nice bit of immersion playing with an actual gun :)

but FPS is still PC territory really.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like