back to article Anti-gay bus baron rages at being stuffed in Google closet

The founder of Stagecoach is accusing Google of censoring him by dumping his personal website from their search engine results. Sir Brian Souter is a Scottish businessman who controversially funded a campaign in 2000 to keep the anti-gay legislation of Section 28 in the Local Government and Finance Act. Could it be Sir Brian's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dr Paul Taylor
    Flame

A monopoly with an agenda

Sounds like Souter is getting a taste of his own medicine.

1. Danny 14

why?

Because he campaigned for something? It isnt like he shoots people in the knee caps or forces gay people off his bus. It isnt googles business to block "different" views. I suppose google also blocks swedish neo nazi searches? No apparantly not.

1. Burch
        Thumb Down

Missing the point

The man aggressively chased other bus providers out of markets across the country.

Doesn't sound to me like Google has done any such thing by the way, he simply sounds like a paranoid headcase.

2. David Paul Morgan
        Megaphone

actually...

...-istr that 2 gay lads were forced of a stagecoach public bus.

what stinks is that for some out-of-town gay folk, we don't have a choice but to fund his hate.

2. Mtrs

Sir Brian has in now way, shape or form ever been accused of censorship - what on earth does your bizarre comment allude to?

We all have a right to our opinions, and although the gay lobby might not like it, most of the world now and for most of its history has always been aware of the fact that homosexuality is a deviation, not the norm.

Censorship against the truth is amongst the last signs of totalitarianism.

3. Seventh of 7th
      Thumb Up

@ Dr Paul Taylor

"Sounds like Souter is getting a taste of his own medicine."

Aye, and he doesn't like it up 'im, or so he keeps saying...... ad inf.

2. scudcraft

I assess websites for quality according to the criteria that Google uses. The reason that Souter's site has dropped in ranking is because Souter's site is low quality along several dimensions and Google's algos demote it. Google's search results aren't perfect but their crap detector has gotten much better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Souter's site is low quality

Being a personal site, that would seem to be an accurate reflection of him. That makes it high quality.

/search engine recursively imploding in the absence of an icon

2. Joni Kahara

Exactly my sentiment when I took a look at the site. Which is weird as one would expect a fella like this have enough money to hire competent people to handle his publicity.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self importance

Familliar. Often get jumped up big fish in a small pond types kicking up a fuss because their company isn't number one in the google rankings.

Had a few companies with <GENERIC COMMON USED ENGLISH LANGUAGE WORD> as their name wondering why they weren't number 1 on google.

On the plus side, his URL is now on the BBCs website so that'll improve things.

Nothing like free advertising!

AC because of opening paragraph - I still need to make a living ;)

4. handle

Hateful man

That is all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Until now...

I'd never heard of the chap. National Express from now on it is then!

1. handle
      Thumb Up

I was at a Repeal Section 28 rally outside Manchester Town Hall 10+ years ago. Lots of Stagecoach buses drive around there. Suddenly one of them was leapt upon by a load of activists who proceeded to spray water-soluble pink paint all over the front, take a few pics, then just as quickly hose it down so they couldn't be accused of criminal damage. Beautifully executed and extremely funny.

6. OffBeatMammal
    Childcatcher

tit for tat

looks like he's fine when he's the one behind censorship, but he's happy to cry foul when he thinks it's happening to him.

Given the Google (and other search engines) seem to rely on a number of factors including page rank to weight the order of the search results I can only assume very few people link to his personal site but lots do refer to his actions

7. rurwin
    Holmes

Even more funny

Searching for BrianSouter.com results in the poor knight's site coming in second behind this article.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Society doesn't need this...

There's no room in society today for people who insist on peddling ideas contrary to those of the masses.

The sooner people abandon their reliance on old-fashioned ideals to tell them what to think and start thinking like the rest of us, the better this country will be able to be free of thought controlling organisations that are pushing their distasteful ideas on the rest of us.

Some of us actually want to be free to think for ourselves, not having people like this telling us what to think. Free speech is one thing, but when people use it to try and stop us from agreeing with the majority, we're in trouble.

We need to re-educate people like this into being able to think freely, unrestricted by dogma, prejudice or bigotry. They need to understand that thinking freely will cause them to naturally arrive at the same conclusions as the rest of the free.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There's no room in society today for people who insist on peddling ideas contrary to those of the masses."

Wow. Just... Wow.

"The sooner people ... start thinking like the rest of us, the better this country will be able to be free of thought controlling organisations ..."

Irony, thy name is _RCH_.

2. Nunyabiznes
      WTF?

You really should read what you wrote there.

Let's begin with "There's no room in society today for people who insist on peddling ideas contrary to those of the masses."

So no dissenting opinions? Whatever we hear on the tube as being the most popular theory today is hereafter the only thing we can think? You sound exactly like the powers that were in the 50s and 60s. "Everything is as it should be, put down your anti-war signs!" As a matter of fact, you sound just like pretty much anyone who has been in the majority (or at least thinks they were) in the whole of written human history.

I just ran out of care to continue to debunk your thinking. Suffice it to say I value the right to disagree with the majority when it appears right to *me*. You can stuff your sheep herding.

3. a cynic writes...
      Big Brother

Creepy...

"We need to re-educate people like this into being able to think freely, unrestricted by dogma, prejudice or bigotry. They need to understand that thinking freely will cause them to naturally arrive at the same conclusions as the rest of the free."

And if they don't arrive at the same conclusions presumably it's back to room 101?

4. Tony S

@ _RCH_

"They need to understand that thinking freely will cause them to naturally arrive at the same conclusions as the rest of the free."

Was that meant to be satirical? (sorry if it was; having a fluffy brain moment and really couldn't tell)

Free thinking may well lead you to think the same as others, but not necessarily. And that can be a good thing, as most advances start by being rejected by the masses. Not that I think whats his face is right, just that he has the right to be a git if he chooses to be.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

"Was that meant to be satirical?"

Thank you for spotting it. I thought I'd put enough clues in there to be honest but you're the only one who noticed... everyone else was too busy getting angry...

I thought the re-education bit would have given it away, along with the long stream of contradictions.

Have a pint on me y'all and apologies for the distress caused ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

FFS

Is everyone so hell bent on being outraged they can't detect satire any more?

As title!

_RCH_, nice one.

2. AdamWill

the only bit I don't get...

...is exactly who you were satirizing.

Unless it was a twofer, in which case, well played indeed.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re:

To be honest I thought that was rubbish satire.

The main problem with it is that it's misplaced, since neither the article itself nor most other comments questioned the right of the person concerned to voice his views. They all had a go at what they considered to be a pompous, ill-advised, and technically challenged complaint about not being at the top of a Google search.

Thank you for posting it anyway, since the subsequent replies give an interesting insight into the mindset, reading, and analytical skills of what appears to be a fair number of readers of this site.

5. T.a.f.T.

Dangerous words

"when people use it to try and stop us from agreeing with the majority, we're in trouble"

"We need to re-educate people like this into being able to think freely"

From the sound of the article he is trying to censor the education of young people but not saying that homosexuality it's self is wrong, only that it is wrong to promote it. I am sure in reality his opinion is that it is wrong but that he realizes that such a stance will not get his cause anywhere.

50 years ago most people probably viewed homosexuality as wrong and without the minority who were using their free speech to say that it was OK we would not tolerate it today. You cannot choose who you grant free speech too and must accept that along with what you want & like to hear you will also get plenty of things you will not like.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Did you forget the Joke Alert icon?

7. JohnG

Re: Society doesn't need this...

"There's no room in society today for people who insist on peddling ideas contrary to those of the masses."

Such people would be guilty of thought crime and wrong speak.

"We need to re-educate people like this..."

...in Room 101.

Luckily, Articles 9 and 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights give us all rights to freedom of thought and freedom of expression.

8. Elmer Phud
      Meh

Bingo

I only had to get 'Common Sense!' and I'd have got a full house. damn

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think...

He is bi-directionally taking the piss or I've completely misunderstood his stream of conciousness...

10. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ _RCH_

"There's no room in society today for people who insist on peddling ideas contrary to those of the masses.

The sooner people abandon their reliance on old-fashioned ideals to tell them what to think and start thinking like the rest of us, the better this country will be able to be free of thought controlling organisations that are pushing their distasteful ideas on the rest of us."

Don't I recall hearing a shortish gentleman with a natty moustache but too much hair cream saying the same thing a while ago? Chap called Adolf, IIRC - made a few million people disappear, too? Or was it someone from a bit further east called Joseph who did all that excellent work collectivising farms and disappearing a few million people? Or more recently that Cambodian chappie who had everyone with glasses massacred as being 'intellectual' - another couple of million disappeared?

I do so hope that my irony detector has suffered a temporary malfunction and I've just missed the joke: I fear not. But just in case, I'm not going to downvote the post.

11. oddie
      Thumb Up

ho hum

that's quite funny, but I think you'll get a few people not quite understanding the joke ;)

nevertheless; burn all the pedo's (yes, burn all the children, all of them).

12. Rolf Howarth
      Alert

???!!!!

I can't believe the number of people who took RCH's post at face value and blindly downvoted it or rose to the bait. It's so obviously meant ironically, and at several levels, it's one of the best comments I've seen on the Register for a while, especially once you see how people responded to it. Sadly it seems RCH is right and most people are totally unable to think for themselves.

What do such a disparate group as Jews in Nazi Germany, people labelled as paedophiles, MPs filing their expenses, and Brian Souter all have in common? Hint: it has nothing to do what if anything they are guilty of. The interesting question is how uniformly the populace responds. It seems that most people like nothing better than to see a good lynch mob! Doesn't matter who the target is, just as long as there's someone one to vent one's anger and frustration at and you've got the crowd on your side.

13. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

35 people

just got trolled hard.

9. rurwin
    Holmes

Doesn't seem too difficult.

I notice with some mirth, that this article has made the first page in the offending Google search, but no sighting of Brian's own page before my interest flagged around page 6.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They do say

that those with homophobia are more likely to turn to the other side.

No I do not have the reference to hand but it was probably on the BBC so it must be accurate.

1. Robert Ramsay

I believe it was Quentin Crisp whilst being gay-bashed: "Why don't you fuck off back home before they find out you're queer?"

11. Andy 97
    Flame

£500k?

What a waste of money; he could have used that to sponsor several kids in inner city areas with mentors so they can attempt to keep away from crime and make something of their lives.

... but oh no, let's dig-up the middle ages dogma and force our blinkered views on people than need support and understanding.

What a choad!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you believe the Private Eye

A lot of his money came out of the tax-payer via subsidies for his various transport ventures.

eg South West trains, Virgin (49%) , East Midlands

and the plethora of bus companies

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Damn right!

like so many of these 'private enterprise' enthusiasts nowadays.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Quxy
      Trollface

And sure enough...

... when I type "Anonymous Coward" into Google, there's absolutely no link to your personal website. *Censorship*, I say!

2. Gordon 10

Well actually you probably are

As I suspect your (and his) definition of "promote" us the same as most reasonable people's "discuss homosexuality in the context covering most major aspects of sexuality".

3. Jolyon

Have a promotion

No one has ever suggested anything should be 'actively promoted', it's not like there's discount rent boys behind the bike sheds or bonus payments for girls who swear off men.

All that anyone does is mention that some people are gay and that this is perfectly okay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coffee/keyboard

funny as fcuk.

Aw, shite, I need a cloth now!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Acceptability

Mix together homophobes and people against activist social engineering and you get the following legislation:

---

(1)A local authority shall not—

(a)intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality;

(b)promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship.

---

It's the (b) wot dunnit. It made it illegal for local government to say to children that a gay couple with children is OK.

3. AdamWill

clearly...

"it's not like there's discount rent boys behind the bike sheds"

clearly, you never went to Eton.

4. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Don't be too quick to jump on his bandwagon. Specifically, parts of that section included things like:

"promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship"

which HE wanted kept in and others wanted removed (and it was). The impact of such things? "a number of lesbian, gay and bisexual student support groups in schools and colleges across Britain were closed owing to fears by council legal staff that they could breach the Act".

So while no-one is claiming that schools should put the idea of everyone "trying" a homosexual relationships into kid's heads, they are being lumped with people who didn't want schools telling little Johnny that it's okay that he has two dads/mums (specifically, that would be "unacceptable" as a family relationship), or that his gay sister is somehow "unacceptable". To the extent that support groups were shut down for fear of somehow portraying being gay as "acceptable".

I'm not gay but (as the line goes) I have gay friends, and have friends whose family includes gay people. I think you'll find that in school they suffered enough without the teachers being told BY LAW that they can't view a second daddy as an acceptable family member, or that they can only help a student who comes to them with issues about their sexuality by, basically, saying they can only be straight.

It's almost funny (if it wasn't so serious) to see a law worded, on a legal text, in a way that actively breaks much stronger laws on discrimination.

1. Geoffrey W

@Lee Dowling

<I'm not gay but (as the line goes) I have gay friends>

Absolutely on your post. And I think you will find that most of us have gay friends and acquaintances; We just don't always know it, which, thinking about it, is a shame. They aren't all flaming whoopsies, poets, or luvvies. I know policeman, brick layer, construction electrician, engineer...bigots would be shocked if they knew, so, don't tell them that man or woman sitting next to them on the bus is a you-know-what.

5. Nigel Whitfield.

Section 28 was a vile, and badly drawn piece of education, that forbade the suggesting in state maintained schools that a 'pretend family relationship' was acceptable. Honestly, I don't understand why it should be so shocking to say to people that, you know, it's ok if little Johnny has two mummies, so you shouldn't beat the crap out of him for it.

Worse, being so vaguely drawn, it ushered in an era of horrendous self censorship, and people using the vague "promoting homosexuality" notion as an excuse to refuse to do things, because no one wanted to be a test case (no prosecutions were ever brought). It lead to such nonsenses as Lothian Regional Transport refusing to allow a simple advert on their buses for the local gay switchboard - as a council run service, they worried it might be "promoting" homosexuality.

As others have pointed out, the idea of "promotion" is risible. Could you honestly suddenly become gay if I tell you it's really wonderful, and you'll have a great time? I rather doubt it, any more than telling me how great it is to be married to a woman is likely to turn me from a big fat poof into an adoring husband eager to make babies with a wife.

Oddly, these ideas about promotion seem to go with two somewhat incompatible world views; firstly, that homosexuality is so horrible and disgusting that everyone must be protected from it, while secondly also believing it to be so fabulous that the merest mention of it in anything other than the most disapproving tones will have all the local teenage boys banging away at each others' arses like steam hammers.

Needless to say, the real world's not quite like that. Telling people it's ok to be gay, or for someone to have gay parents, isn't going to suddenly turn the whole classroom queer. But refusing to acknowledge it, or to allow people to say it's ok, can and does have real consequences in terms of bullying and upset.

1. Bassey
        Thumb Up

Re: Nigel Whitfield.

Sensible, reasoned arguments? You're in the wrong place, sir. We'll have none of that sort of flith around here!

2. PrivateCitizen
        Thumb Up

@Nigel Whitfield

+1 internets for you Sir. Well said.

Truly one of the best posts I have read all day.

6. Captain Underpants
      Thumb Down

@AC

You tell me how we can discuss homosexuality without "promoting" it any more that we promote heterosexuality by talking about it, and then you might find some agreement.

Otherwise you do actually sound like a bit of a bigot.

7. Sam Liddicott

what else might be promoted

I don't want homosexuality promoted at school any more than I want religion or coca-cola or the BNP promoted at school. It's just not the right place to do it.

School is not supposed to be a propaganda station or marketing sink for whoever has the most money or political clout at the time.

Homosexuality may be an equal lifestyle in this culture but it's not a special one and it doesn't need special consideration.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But it didn't

Section 28 wasn't there to stop the promotion of homosexuality (whatever that means). It was there to stop any discussion of the subject. It was a hateful piece of legislation imposed to assuage a particular narrow-minded part of the population at the expense of a vulnerable minority.

1. Jim 59

Soulter not demoted (deliberately)

Like any concept, homosexuality can be spun or propagandized. The legislation was introduced in reponse to a few schools advocating homosexuality to very young children in a rather over-the-top way. One book in particular caused uproar IIRC, but memory fades.

I just realized Google's huge additional power to propagandize anything by adjusting their listings. Wow. I don't think they scuppered Soulter though. After all their listings contain web sites *far* more disturbing that his.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

You're probably thinking of the book "Jenny lives with Eric and Martin" which did indeed cause a big fuss in some of the papers, who seemed to suggest that this was being made available in school libraries and children would be forced to read it.

In fact - after all, the tabloids never exaggerate, do they? - there was a copy, or possibly more than one, placed in a teachers' resource library, with the intention that, if a teach felt it might be necessary, it would be available, and might help some kids understand that the home they came from, or that other people came from, wasn't the only one of its kind.

Now, some people may find that disgusting, but honestly, I still don't think it's propagandising to tell people that, no, they're not the only person who has a background like that.

I remember when I started school in the early 70s, my brother and I had a fab new word that none of the other kids in class did - "divorce." That wasn't, thankfully, the sort of thing you got teased about at school but children can be very cruel, especially when they see some of the vile hateful rubbish that used to appear routinely in the media.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

For a little more on the book, and the original furore around S28, it's worth reading this piece by Ian McKellen, which also points out that, contrary to popular belief, the book wasn't placed in school libraries. And it reveals many of the sort of instances of self censorship that the vile clause caused.

http://www.mckellen.com/writings/activism/8807section28.htm

It's heartening to see so many of the commenters here agreeing that the whole notion of "promoting" homosexuality was a nonsense; a shame there are clearly still a few who manage to equate "it's something that happens, no big deal" with "you simply must try it; last one to buggery's a sissy"

2. Jim 59

Jenny Lives with Eric and Martin

@ Nigel Whitfield - yes, that is probably the book I was remembering. It's fair enough to say the tabloids exagerated, and that the book was provided to teachers and not children. But it was a children's book, not an adults', and it is hard to believe that that the council did not intend children to read the book or have teachers relay it to them, otherwise why put it in the aschool? At the time it was thought that this amounted to advocating a way of living to very young children. Hence the controvesial clause.

Much has been made of this clause ever since, and many on both sides of the argument fail to see the difference between promoting tolerance of something and promoting the thing itself. Leaders onboth sides have taken advantage of this confusion for political ends.

9. dave 93
      Unhappy

"actively promote homosexuality"

Oh please. Admitting homosexuality exists, is legal, and is the way that some people choose to live, is not actively promoting it.

10. Dana W
      Meh

Newspeak ++ good!

They use "actively promote" as a euphemism to mean the same as "consider equal", or "treat as perfectly normal".

Which it is. Some people are gay, get over it.

11. A J Stiles
      FAIL

@ AC

"He states he is not homophobic but that we shouldn't actively promote homosexuality, especially in schools.

I totally agree on that one point.

Does that mean I am homophobic?"

Yes. Ting! next, please.

13. Jonathan White
    Meh

Hmm.. While I have no time for the man's personal politics, surely there's no way you can agree with censoring him in Google search results yet condemn him for his stance on Clause 28/2A? You can't say that it's terrible for this man (Souter) to limit what people are told, but it's OK for these other men (Google)to limit what people are told. Your'e basically saying censorship is fine as long as it's in agreement with our beliefs, but when it's not it's evil. That's hypocritical in the extreme.

Either he's wrong to call for what he did therefore Google are wrong to tweak their search results, or Google can do whatever they like with their search results and therefore he's also free to call for whatever he likes as well.

Free speech is an absolute. You either have it for everyone no matter how distasteful, or you don't.

1. Steve Knox
      Happy

Yes we can.

"...surely there's no way you can agree with censoring him in Google search results yet condemn him for his stance on Clause 28/2A?"

Clause 28/2A is a government action and hence constitutes institutional censorship. Google is a private business and have the right to say or not say whatever they like (as does Sir Brian.)

You and Sir Brian assert that this is a "free speech issue." I wholeheartedly agree. The fact that he would actively campaign to constrain a private company (Google) to speak in the way he wants them to does a wonderful job of highlighting his true feelings on free speech.

Free speech is an absolute, and if Google doesn't have it, then none of us do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

"...surely there's no way you can agree with censoring him in Google search results yet condemn him for his stance on Clause 28/2A?"

That statement reads like this is fact.

It's wrong for you to make that statement as you do not know the facts.

3. brooxta
      Black Helicopters

Truth is an absolute. Free speech is a means to an end.

There comes a point when saying something is not true when it is true is really unhelpful. Accuracy is important. Reg readers know this. We depend on it for our daily vulture fix.

PS. Loved @_RCH_'s satirical post :-)

14. cloudgazer

He thinks he has a google problem?

He should talk to Rick Santorum!

Actually maybe Dan Savage would care to come up with a new meaning for Souter.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"brian souter gay"

Heh! That is all.

(Do Google have closets as well as racks in their data centres?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have to follow up to this by noting that Google has been sued for propagating libel in their "suggest" feature, believe it or not. Maybe that's his next step once he has stopped whining.

16. Deano2099

The funny thing is that if this is some rogue annoyed Google employee, it's far more likely to be one annoyed with his useless buses than his 11-year-old opinions on gay people...

1. Paul_Murphy

I think it's more likely..

That Google (shall we call it the big G ?) measures other peoples interest in a given web page to give it a rank - if people don't link to the page then it drops down the rankings.

I would find it surprising that anyone at Google would care enough to make any specific effort.

ttfn

1. Christopher Edwards
        FAIL

Well done!

I can't believe I had to get to the second page before someone pointed out that google are likely considerably more interested in things other than this bloke's opinions, however interesting he thinks they are.

If they messing with what's-his-name's google ranking then they must be spending 100,000's of man hours messing with everyone's. I wonder if Mr Stagecoach even knows what an algorithm is, let alone a search one.

Maybe he should read this - http://www.google.com/explanation.html

17. Zane

I really like...

...the girls posing with him in front of the buses on his homepage.

Hadn't heard about the Stagecoach censorship campaign before - so I learned it's better to avoid the guy and his company.

Zane

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"girls posing with him in front of the buses on his homepage"

Almost like he's trying to prove something, you think?

18. Nigel Whitfield.

Free speech isn't remotely relevant.

Mr Souter has free speech; his witless blathering (or rather, that of his PR) that this is against free speech is just a feeble minded attempt to wrap a big sulk up in some sort of matter of principle.

Google has not blocked his website; it has not taken it off line, and it has not censored him in any way. His website, with whatever self aggrandising piffle it contains is still in the same place, with the same content as it's probably always had, and just as accessible as ever. No one is preventing people from reading it, or locking them up if they do, or installing web filters to protect the innocent from viewing it.

The concept of "free speech" does not extend to "I demand that Google's algorithms determine that I'm the expert on a topic," even where that topic may be himself; indeed, you might argue that very often a person's own account is the least objective place to go for information about them.

It's hardly a massive leap of imagination for those who desire to hear words from the man himself to realise that BrianSouter.com may be the address to type; nor should it be particularly surprising, given his views and the amount that has been written about them, and the number of times other people may have linked to those sites, that Google's algorithms rate some of those accounts higher than his own PR puffery.

I'm sure many people are annoyed that their own sites don't rank higher on Google; that the search engine, in effect, says "you know, that's not very interesting, here are some better sources of information about X."

Most of them, however, are not quite stupid enough to equate that with censorship, and to decide that they need to sulk to a government department.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google Results"

You searched for "Brian Souter" did you mean "Maggie Thatcher, the PM that brought in Section 28 and meant I daren't even ask a teacher for advice about being gay and made it illegal for me to have sex until I was 21 while everyone else could do it at 16?", "Stonewall.org.uk" or "Peter Tachell"

1. EvilGav 1

Or if we actually bother to learn our history, rather than spout "it was in the 80's therefore Thatcher was to blame", we should note that this amendment was originally raised by Lord Halsbury in 1986 and promoted in the Commons by Jill Knight.

It then went to a vote to be passed into law, which duly happened in the Commons in December 1987.

As for "not being able to talk to a teacher about sex", I never felt a need to do that and I was a teenager for a large proportion of the 80's. If the reasoning behind talking to a teacher was due to a lack of parent/child interaction, then the issue lies with your parents, not with the establishment (whether that be school or government) and not with anyone who did or didn't support this outdated law.

1. handle

Thatcher *is* to blame

Don't you remember the fuss the decrepit old witch made in the Lords to try to stop its repeal?

Whatever you think of her economic policies, *nothing* excuses that sort of behaviour. Whoever thought the amendment up in the first place, she could have stopped them with not so much as a swing of her handbag.

And just because a completely unrepresentative sample of one - you, whom I am assuming are heterosexual - didn't want to talk to your teacher about sex doesn't mean that nobody else did either. Besides which, it was about far, far more than that as has been explained in this forum much more eloquently than I could ever do, as you can find out if you only bother to read with your mind open.

2. Havin_it
      Headmaster

Erm...

>Maggie Thatcher, the PM that [...] made it illegal for me to have sex until I was 21 while everyone else could do it at 16?

Um, no she didn't, unless she was a lawmaker in 1533:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery_Act_1533

or 1967:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Offences_Act_1967

She didn't fix it, but she damn well didn't create it. Don't conflate.

/orders extra-large shot of mindbleach for defending Thatcher

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Come off it, considering you weren't allowed to promote or talk about homosexuality because of Section 28, she hardly made it a level playing field.

Do you really think it was fair for someone to have to wait an extra 5 years to have sex?

Maybe we should ask Alan Turing ... oh! no he buzy eating an apple at the moment

I sure a lot of people will be having a party when MT finally dies

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I sure a lot of people will be having a party when MT finally dies"

Yes, I'll be at that party, hope to see you there. I'll be the one lighting the fireworks. ('cos they won't let me light the funeral pyre)

20. James Condron
    Holmes

Funnily enough...

I was in a bar in Victoria a few months ago and I overheard some furry toothers talking about Scotland, Homophobia, and "That bastard Souter".

Never really thought about t until now

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've never encountered homophobia here ...

I live in a small town in Scotland on a residential street with families and children.

My partner and I have been here for 5 years and we're just very much part of the local backdrop.

Everyone talks to us and includes us in everything going on. The children talk to us and accept us with no problem or qualms whatsoever.

There is no homophobia or even the merest hint of disapproval.

How different from my previous address in Brighton: supposedly a gay mecca. In reality it was a vile homophobic dump with gay men being beaten up or murdered on an almost daily basis.

I am Scottish, my partner is English and I've lived all over the UK.

Soutar and his sister are two of the worst examples of human greed and parochial tunnel vision one could imagine. He's entitled to his views, but he's bound to notice that NO ONE IS LISTENING, at least not here.

1. Intractable Potsherd
        Stop

"... he's bound to notice that NO ONE IS LISTENING,"

No, he isn't. That is what this is all about. The low Google page rank about which Souter is complaining is entirely because no-one is going to it. However, instead of accepting that he is in a minority, he decides that he is being censored. He is just another low-grade moron with a strong psychopathic streak (just like many successful business people).

Teaching about homosexuality in schools promotes it in the same way that teaching about fish promotes breathing underwater.

1. handle
          Thumb Up

^^quote

"Teaching about homosexuality in schools promotes it in the same way that teaching about fish promotes breathing underwater."

I love it.

21. Spider
    Facepalm

Hypocrit

Man rants against private company that provides free searches possibly discrimatating against his website that advocates discrimination.

beautiful.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

welcome to the wonderful world of the tories!

(well done useless English piff)

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All your opinions are belong to us

"I am not an individual, I am a number.", _RCH_

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aww, poor ikkle woo.

Most of the links on the first page are discussing his ant gay views and whether he should lose his knighthood.

25. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Strangely effective

There must be something pretty attractive about this homosexuality business.

Schools attempt to promote 'community' leads to riots, years of say no to drugs in every lesson produces a cabinet that has more (ex-)drug users than a Grateful Dead concert, promoting healthy eating and exercise has lead to chicken nuggets and kids that can barely carry an LCD TV out of Dixons.

And yet all schools would have to do is mention that Alan Turing was guy and the entire youth of Britain would be turned in Julian Clary overnight.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Yes, but exhausting!

I mean, you wouldn't believe the sheer amount of time it takes fitting in the gym, the hairdressers, the shopping for designer clothes, the manicures.

And that's even before you make a start on the sex; apparently, we have an average of 106 partners a year, according to some christian web sites.

I try to do my bit, as much as the next man. But I went on holiday for a couple of weeks, and then work was busy, and now I have a massive backlog to get through; I had to have sex seven times in my lunch hour, just to keep up!

I'm telling you, it's a chore. A glamorous one, but still a chore

1. Geoffrey W
        Happy

@Exhausting

Never mind, you can relax afterwards on your soft furnishings and be soothed by your tasteful colour schemes and listen to some ABBA...

2. AdamWill

106?

I have that many before breakfast. Sheesh! Talk about low expectations.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

@AdamWill

Good to know you're keeping your end up.

3. Naughtyhorse
        Joke

lol...

can understand M Gambon's line

I used to be gay, but i was *forced* to give it up...

it made my eyes water

26. david wilson

Irony

Isn't it ironic that the people too stupid to be able to find his website if they actually want to are also likely to be the kind of people who might get influenced by it?

27. Jim Carter
    Trollface

Perhaps

It's high time Mr Souter had his own santorum moment.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is only one little problem

Google is a company - Unless this idiot has a contract with Google - they are free to include / exclude anything they want from their search engine (with in the bounds of the law).

If anyone has an issue with how Google runs their business they can use another site or start their own search engine and drive Google out of business (As Microsoft is finding it's not that easy).

29. DrXym

It's all about you Brian

Yeah Brian I'm sure Google (a massive global conglomerate) are conducting a personal vendetta against you. After all you are so important that how dare your site fall down in the rankings. It must all be a conspiracy. That or their ranking algorithm changes from time to time and your site has fallen afoul of it. Try following their suggestions and wait for the caches to pick up the changes. And quite whingeing.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but it is in google

No one has a 'right' to No.1 and the site is in google.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cr=countryUK|countryGB&client=firefox&hs=vlV&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&biw=1658&bih=786&tbs=ctr%3AcountryUK|countryGB&q=www.briansouter.com&oq=www.briansouter.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1408l5791l0l6461l25l22l1l0l0l0l219l3123l1.17.3l21l0

There are other search engines available.....

what an idiot, obviously needs some publicity.

1. david wilson

@AC

>>"There are other search engines available....."

Which is rather more than can be said regarding other bus companies in places where Stagecoach engaged in dubious business practices.

2. Ken 16 Silver badge

"It's not Google's place to decide which sites we can see and those we can't..."

"...on their own bloody website"?

Why not? I dislike Google for some of it's actions, but it's a private company, paying for (lots of) web servers and they can put anything they like there. If Brian Souter wants to pay them, they'll put an ad for him on that site.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatively

Google's search tentacles might have tried to get something from Souter's site but found it slow, unreliable, unresponsive and crap - technically known as being 'a bit Stagecoach'.

32. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Meh

"It's not Google's place to decide which sites we can see and those we can't."

Ummm, actually it sorta is...

"It amounts to search engine censorship and it does not afford what Google says it is striving to create – a good user experience."

Keeping fringe opinions out of my search engine results gives me a "good user experience". Unfortunately the pendulum will swing too far and we will have all sorts of sites degraded because what they say goes against the grain. Even now, governments are doing just that. More in Iran, North Korea and China, but the rest of the world is doing it too.

Governments restricting what we can see as a society was a problem long before the Internet came along.

33. CmdrX3
    Stop

I bet Souter is just hiding in the closet

If he really wants to find his website, perhaps he should start looking in the 1950's.

34. Miek
    FAIL

Not sure what Brian is moaning about, his site is indexed by Google as searching for www.briansouter.com produces results including his website. I guess his point is that searching for "Brian Souter" does not bring up his site which may* be due to a lack of meta information for the Google search engine to correctly (contextually) identify that site as being relevant to your search enquiry and more relevant than wikipedia or Stagecoaches' own website.

* yes, I said "may"

Side topic: Has the Title field actually been made optional at last ?

35. Jon 66

Ever heard of SEO?

From HTML source of http://www.briansouter.com/ :

<h1>Welcome</h1>

Suggest that 301 redirect is not the only SEO issue they need to address...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am given to understand that he is actually a SEO expert, but is simply unwilling to pander to an algorithm previously known as "Back-rub".

All in all, while I may disagree with his lobbying record I would die for Souter's right to appear on the first page of Google.

1. david wilson

>>"All in all, while I may disagree with his lobbying record I would die for Souter's right to appear on the first page of Google."

Though if someone types in 'Brian Souter', I'm fairly confident he *will* appear on the first page, even if maybe not in ways that he might like.

But then that's what real competition means, Brian.

Not everyone can have their own way.

Not even *you*.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone who's really good at SEO please make his site rank really high for "gay bus"?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

that's just Homophobia by the back door (missus)

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Souter needs to get over himself

Why the hell would anyone at Google care about the jumped up bigots website?

38. Pyromancer
    FAIL

Game over. Insert better webmaster for a new game.

Leaving aside the odious Clause-28, the gentleman in question needs a better web designer. One who understands the correct use of the alt attribute. And a host that knows what reverse DNS is for might help, too.

Viewing sites in Lynx is always instructive when people start ranting about their Google rank dropping.

On the Clause-28 issue, you don't need to be gay, or even know anyone who is, to know, if you're a decent person, that all forms of discrimination against minorities are evil. When we have a genuinely equal society, when people in schools neither notice nor care that another kid has two dads or two mums instead of one of each, or what skin colour they are, then there will be no need for teachers to have to teach that different people live in different ways. But until that time comes (which, TBH, is probably "never"), then action to protect minority kids from thoughtless bullying by "the majority" will always be needed. Clause-28 was a terrible mistake. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

39. Mike Hunt 1

Forgive me....

I have rather vainly just Googled myself, and I didn't appear on the first (or subsequent) pages - just a lot of references to a poor taste joke around my name. Does anybody know how I get my millions from Google for this outrage? Who else can I sue? My parents for a start for calling me Mike, my father for having the surname Hunt, in fact, his entire lineage are going to cop for some legal fisting !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I believe the issue is that his site *used* to be number one for that search result, and then disappeared. Not just that it isn't the number one result.

2. Anonymous Coward 15
      Coffee/keyboard

I sniggered

Sorry!

40. Gordon 10

Dear Brian,

It's just a search.

Get over it.

Sergey

Sent from my Nexus S

1. LaeMing
      Happy

Your page-rank is not your personal worth.

Though sometimes chance corelations will occurr (and be hilarious).

41. Anthony Hulse

I'd rather he stopped shouting about stuff that doesn't concern him...

...and instead fixed his poor excuse for a railway. South West Trains are an absolute joke. Maybe a site telling the world what a terrible company Stagecoach are would be a better top Google result.

42. FarmerTom

Total Crock

Google search of Souter or Stagecoach or Souter Stagecoach returns correct links to relevant sites-- at or near the top of the results page.

But if Google *did* want to censor their results to leave this turd out in the cold, they'd be entirely within their rights being a private company, not a government agency.

43. pdxuser

"We don’t have a clue as to why Sir Brian’s website has disappeared from Google’s search results."

...yet they're willing to make the worst possible assumptions and shout victimhood to the press. Plenty of small business owners have experienced this. Google is not after you. There simply happen to be other sites on the web that perform better than yours. Google likes sites that are frequently updated -- like the blogs that show up first.

44. Grease Monkey Silver badge

There is no but.

"Souter says he is not homophobic but doesn't believe in "promoting" homosexuality."

Ever noticed how many bigots say "but"? As in...

I'm not homophobic, but...

I'm not racist, but...

I'm not sexist, but...

You either hold a particular opinion or you don't, you can't qualify the fact that you are not homophobic.

I hate self serving dickheads. And there's no but.

45. Mectron

idiot

he should be shoot on sight PERIOD

46. QrazyQat

perhaps Google didn't do it but someone did

Can anyone say Google bomb?

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ironically, the top hit for Brian Souter right now

is this article

48. lotus49
    Unhappy

Poor Brian

I think one can draw only one conclusion about a man who has spent £500,000 telling the world how much he disapproves of homosexuality.

49. Lamont Cranston

Don't Google adjust their result based on what people click through to?

Thus meaning that his problem is that people searching on his name, aren't looking for his personal site?

50. damian fell
    Unhappy

More to the point what idiot gave this bigotted self-publicist a knighthood?

1. handle
      Facepalm

What idiot?

Alex Salmond, whom he bribed with a half a million pound "donation" to the SNP weeks beforehand. Unfortunately that doesn't make Alex Salmond an idiot - just a politician.

A few years ago the SNP also mysteriously dropped its commitment to re-regulation of Scotland's hopeless bus system, a month after receiving a similar donation.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

It doesn't make him an idiot. We already know he's a fucking idiot.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lost Search Engine Position in Mid of August?

could it be that he was a victim of the panda update?

It devalues website with non unique content that got their top position with a dubious methiods.

52. Ian Ferguson
    Unhappy

Hadn't heard of this twat before.

Just sold my stock in Stagecoach and feel much cleaner now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You own stock in Stagecoach but have never heard of this guy? Do you have some proof that you really do own Stagecoach stock and are not just lying about it for the sake of effect?

53. Atonnis

I absolutely hate to say it...but...

...where it comes to 'It's not Google's place to decide which sites we can see and those we can't'...

Yes, it bloody well is. If Google, as a private company, decide to block you or allow you then they should be able to do what they bloody-well like with their own data. I really don't like Google, but I'll defend their rights to do as they wish as a private company.

Of course, if people don't LIKE Google's way of doing things, they can go and use another search engine that DOES work for them.

If these people want to go along those lines, why not say 'it's not Apple's right to not have Flash running on all of their products' or something equally stupid?

1. Turtle

Not really the same.

Considering Google's position in online search, and that the combined market share of all its competitors is just of fraction of Google's share, for them to decide which sites are acceptable and which are not, gives them the ability to consign anything that they do not like to the Memory Hole. It is not much different than if the phone company left out of the phone book the numbers of organizations whose politics it doesn't like. This is exacerbated by the fact that no one visiting Google's page would have any idea that the results are being censored: have you ever seen any disclaimers on www.google.com informing users that they reserve the right to censor search results that they find objectionable?

If Google were not far-and-away the most popular search engine, I (and I would think many other people) would not have any objections. For example, if there was a niche company running a "Leftist Search Engine - The Only Search Engine With A Social Conscience" then who could possibly object if they censored their results - as censored results would pretty much be what a user of such a search engine would both want and expect. If Google put such a disclaimer on their webpage, it might perhaps be a different matter, to some people.

But in my opinion, having the biggest search engine, effectively a monopoly, surreptitiously censoring results according political and ideological criteria, is an unacceptable and intolerable situation.

And all of this has no points of comparison with Apple and Flash, which is a dispute over barring certain technology whereas the Google seems to be barring certain content. The difference is fundamental.

54. Bernard M. Orwell
    Joke

Promoting Homosexuality......

This week only, buy one and get one free!

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

I don't think it's really possible to "promote" homosexuality anyway, surely at most you can "promote" bisexuality, assuming the promotion makes people want to try something they otherwise wouldn't...

If you believe it is, then surely the best thing would be to promote heterosexuality in schools, maybe some practical sex ed, after school lessons and a "Virginity: give it up now!" programme in the classroom.

55. Spleen

£500k? Bloody hell. That's a hell of a lot to spend on something you're really not that fussed about, honest to God, you're not a homo, um, homophobe, you just don't think it should be forced down the throats, er, er, in the faces of, er, the upstanding members, er, of the British public.

Maybe he just happened to find £500k in loose change in the corner of his fucking massive closet.

56. Mark Reed
    Stop

There is a difference...

Between promoting being gay and explaining gay people are not monsters.

I do not believe schools should dictate sexuality to their pupils or promote one over the other, but letting them know that there are people out there who may not be the same as them, but at the same time are not evil or to be punished for being different with physical or verbal abuse might help.

Might even have stopped me having to spend a night in A&E with my partner who had been beaten up just for walking down the street at 5pm of an evening because 2 guys saw me give him a quick peck on the cheek.

If people really believe I am going to hell they should stop preaching and beating and trust their faith that their god / gods will punish me after I die. I thought that was the point of hell / damnnation, or could it be that they don't really believe in what they are saying?

</rant>

Apologies but as you can imagine this is a subject that touches a nerve with me.

57. Purlieu

Google

I'd have thought that it's Google's business how they run their own website (google is a website remember) and not for some mouthy busdriver fatcat to tell them how to run their web presence.

Nobody forces you to go to google.

(as usual, downvoters please explain why)

58. Turtle

Irrespective of everything.

Irrespective of what the actual facts of the matter might be, it is quite surprising to see the number of people who support Google's suppression of a website for political and ideological reasons.

Except that I am not really surprised at all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like