back to article Glow-in-the-dark kittens to help produce cure for AIDS

Glow-in-the-dark kittens are science's latest weapon in the war against HIV. The cats, bred at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, are resistant to feline AIDS, glow unearthly green under UV light and are an important step towards disrupting the mechanism by which HIV destroys the human immune system. Feline immunodeficiency virus ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain Underpants
    Happy

Hmmm. I suspect the work of Sheldon Cooper lies behind this. How long before these are available as pets? (And how freaky would it be to wake up in the middle of the night to find a glowing cat silently watching/judging you?)

2. DPWDC
    Thumb Up

I want one...

The glow in the dark cat not FIV.

3. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

The future holds..

.. the fact that if you met a girl (or guy) in a club and their flesh glows "an unearthly green" under the UV light, there's no chance of ever contracting HIV from this person... weird..

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons
      Happy

Hmmm.....

Of course, you'd have to ask the girl if her pussy was green as well.....

I MEANT CAT! You've all got dirty minds......

2. Disco-Legend-Zeke
      Pint

Judging By Star Trek...

...green girls are hot.

And, after a few beers, they're all green.

3. Mike Flugennock
      Thumb Up

re: the future holds...

...the fact that anyone whose flesh glows an unearthly green under UV light would be the most popular person at a rave.

4. Guido Esperanto
    Mushroom

Local mice in the area rejoice and submit a new LOLCat

On a serious note, I await the wash of PETA organised hate against this company. An organisation that furthers the cause and reduces suffering of animals...by increasing suffering in humans... :D

1. ArmanX
      Facepalm

"Curing FIV? YOU MONSTERS!!"

Yeah, actually, I can see that...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well...

Given the statement, "there are no immediate applications for HIV sufferers", PETA might well have something to say about it.

5. Jon Double Nice

"there are no immediate applications for HIV sufferers"

"...unless they have quite a lot of money and fancy a glow in the dark cat"

6. DJ 2

The ultimate clubbers body modification, Green UV glow in the dark skin

7. Andrew Oakley
    Mushroom

LOLcats overload?

Glowing kittehz AND an STD? I predict 4chan will melt.

1. Thomas 4

Someone call Eli Roth

The scene - A poorly lit bedroom late at night. A frightened child is being tucked into bed by someone who looks far too young to be the child's mother but hey, that's hollywood casting for you.

Child: Mummy, I'm scared. Another kid went missing at school today. Are the monsters getting them?

Mummy: Don't be scared, there's no such thing as monsters.

Child: Ok mummy. Thank you for plugging in my nightlight.

Mummy: (raising a curious plastic object with a plug)....I haven't plugged it in yet....

Mummy and daughter look at each other.

*rrrrrooowwwwwwwwrrrrl*

8. Steve X
    Coat

The Dong!--the Dong!

So in future, before we have sex with someone we'll have to see if they glow in the dark?

Maybe Edward Lear was right all along, and I thought luminous *condoms* were weird.

9. TRT Silver badge
    Coat

Also available in other colours.

Green coat, what else?!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

This is where David Cameron and Co are missing a trick! They should be turning rioters and truants glow-in-the dark rather than taking their benefits away - much easier to spot on CCTV in future!! I blame the current Cabinet's lack of scientific background.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheldon Cooper and his glow-in-the-dark Goldfish now looking worried

12. Dan 10

Better than a bell for the nocturnal kitty...

No snoozing prey for you, my fluorescent-furry friend.

13. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I suspect

they didn't need the glow-in-the-dark gene for 'tracking' - they were just after the free publicity.

14. kain preacher

glow in the dark sex

Read the article again. The people that glow won't get sick , it does not mean that wont have the disease .

15. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Should come in handy...

...looking for Pussy in the dark.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The Mayo Clinic explains that though there are no immediate applications for HIV sufferers"

Who cares! It's a glow in the dark cat FFS!

Don't they realise how many accidents caused by a late night trip to the toilet will be prevented by this invention?!

17. Mike Flugennock
    Pint

Well, I don't know about curing deadly diseases...

...but I _do_ know that our little Minnie doesn't need to be able to glow in the dark to liven things up around _our_ house.

18. M7S

Handy as an emergency light

But given the propensity of cats to wander, have those nice people at Bonsai Kitten started to market this option yet?

Its good for nature too, green power and all that.

In this case literally.

19. amanfromearth

Itz not eazy been greenz

20. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Hmmm

Does their vom glow in the dark too? One of life's nastiest surprises, midnight trip to the kitchen for a drink only to tread/slip on a fur-ball "cough-up", much shouting, spraying and cleaning done at 2am!

1. DayDragon
      Thumb Down

Thanks for that...

Thanks for that lovely image, i've just had my dinner :p

This topic is closed for new posts.