back to article Dole-office civil servants allowed Twitter but no Facebook

Twitter is fine for civil servants at the Department for Work and Pensions but Facebook is strictly banned, the Minister for Employment Chris Grayling ruled in a response to a written question by Lib Dem MP Jo Swinson. As well as tweeting, Work & Pensions department staff are permitted to upload employment information and make …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wyatt
    Thumb Up

Good..

..they're there to work not chat to their mates.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sick of these people ...

Why is time wasting with social networking while pen-pushing on taxpayers money not a sackable offence?

Just get the fuck on with it and do your job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the tax paying civil servants

Get paid a fucking pittance while putting up with whining fucking halfwits like you

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not really ...

I used to be one. When it was immaterial what you got paid.

3. thesykes

but...

for some workers at the DWP surely access to FB could be useful? Presumably the fraud investigators could find it useful in checking up on suspected cheats? Some people are dumb enough to allow unrestricted access to their info, and any posts about how bad work is, how they enjoyed running a marathon etc. could be used to haul them up in front of a judge?

1. Anonymous John

I'm sure they do.

As the article says, the default is no FB.

4. dotdavid
    FAIL

Trust your employees...

...not to slack off. After all, blocking Facebook isn't going to block a determined slacker.

There's always El Reg's forums for example... er...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So then, we're all in agreement.....

Anything we can do to make the life of a DWP employee a bit more miserable than it alread is, is absolutely fine!

1. hamacy

if you want to make a civil service job more miserable

Give access to the mindless shite that is FB and make usage mandatory.

6. g3hpp

I worked in a Jobcentre for a couple of years and access to Facebook and other social networking sites was blocked throughout the time I worked there. Many private sector IT departments block access to similar sites.

Civil Service staff are allowed internet access for their own use in their own time.

7. You're all dinosaurs
    Stop

Smart phones?

Does anyone need work computers to do a bit of social slacking these days? Smart phones have surely made it easy to slack off anywhere, anytime.

8. MartinSullivan

Inividual JCP Offices using Twitter

Individual Jobcentre Plus Offices are using Twitter. They post vacancies and other snippets of useful employment stuff. They do their job, and Twitter isn't just for organising riots. This seems to be a series of initiatives at a grass-roots level; the official Jobseekers Direct site imperiously makes things hard for them, in terms of links and so forth. I help where I can. On Twitter? look for 'JCP', and for my modest efforts in this direction 'JCPM'.

1. MartinSullivan

Jobcentre Plus on Twitter

OK, bad search terms. You'd be better looking for 'Jobcentre Plus' or 'Jobcentreplus' for examples. of JCP Offices a-twittering. And 'zois' for me and mine.

9. John Tserkezis

Instead of asking why was FB blocked, I want to know why Twitter is still OK?

No really, like there's a difference between the two as far as time wasting goes??

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like