back to article Ultrabook makers turn to fibreglass to cut costs

Take this as you will, but it's claimed that many upcoming Ultrabook laptops will use a fibreglass chassis to bring production costs down to the point where their vendors can sell the machines for under $1000 (£627). According to the inevitable 'unnanmed industry sources', cited by DigiTimes, fibreglass may be used instead of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GettinSadda

Currency Conversion

Fixed for real-world examples:

"...vendors can sell the machines for under $1000 (£1000)"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Does it matter?

What it's made of... so long as it's tough enough, looks shiny and isn't heavy then it's a winner for me... I personally dislike silver things and Apple's aluminium chassis (I think it looks like a kitchen appliance), so I won't be upset if they aren't copying that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suspect

You'll be in the minority. No-one will take a fibreglass ultrabook seriously if its at all near the MacBook Air Price point.

Note to Intel make your mInd the fuck up on pricing your platforms. You fucked up netbooks, culvs and are heading the same way on ultrabooks.

If you want to create a Market segment actually try sensible pricing. A CPU and Mb does not make a product on it's own.

3. Mondo the Magnificent
    Thumb Up

Fibreglass! Woohoo!

A little sandpaper, some primer, an airbrush and I can pimp my Ultrabook!

Bring it on, this is the moment I've waited for!

1. The First Dave
      Boffin

@Mondo

Pick an existing aluminium model and you won't need to use the sandpaper...

Plus, you can use electrolysis if you prefer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

"Plus, you can use electrolysis if you prefer."

Are there many hairy aluminium laptops then?

I think the expression you are looking for is 'Anodising'.

4. DrXym

Who cares

What's wrong with using cheaper materials as long as the price reflects that. Plastic laptops have been the default since they first appeared, so I don't see the problem with ultrabooks to do likewise.

1. Gordon 10

I thought

An ultrabook was meant to be a premium item?

5. John Robson Silver badge
    Flame

Cooling...

As title and icon

1. Evan Essence
      Megaphone

Re: Cooling...

RF interference?

6. James Micallef Silver badge

Nice!

Not only cheaper but also lighter. Also, almost as strong as metal and much stronger than plastic (for example most motorbike helmets now use fibreglass shell). And with the moulds in place it could become common for high-end models to be carbon fibre (both stronger AND lighter) such as the Acer Ferrari models.

@John Robson - Yes it will not cool as readily as a metal-cased laptop, but it will be approximately the same as plastic, which is practically standard in laptops. And aren't the ultrabooks supposed to be lower-power than previous comparable models?

1. Gordon 10

Actually

Most decent motorbike helmets are made from a carbon fibre Kevlar mix. Last time I checked only the cheap shit ones use fibreglass. fibreglass is weaker, perishes in sunlight and gets a lesser ACU rating.

If you value your brains and face I wouldnt touch one with a bargepole.

The majority of helmet sales might be for fibre glass but that's coz they are cheap.

Do you want an ultrabook that screams cheap?

1. TonyG

Have you seen the price of fibreglass? It's not cheap.

Fibreglass roofs - 20 to 40 year lifespan, so exposure to sunlight isn't necessarily going to be a problem over the lifetime of an ultrabook. (The neighbour has a fibreglass boat that has been in the sea for over 40 years, if something can last that long in those conditions it's good enough for a laptop).

Fibreglass is a nice material, a lot stronger than plastic and if it's done well it doesn't look cheap

If I was buying a helmet, yes I'd choose kevlar - if I'm buying a laptop I'd happily accept fibreglass as it's unlikely I'll be using it to deflect bullets unless I get sent to Libya.

7. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

WhIch bounces better?

Because inevitably it's going to matter.

8. John McCallum
    Devil

Better Bouncer?

Carbon fiber/Kevlar any day of the year at least you won't need to repair it unless the bounce takes out the motherboard.

9. Wang N Staines

<$1000

Maybe Intel could cut its take by say 10% and we'll all get a shiny metal instead.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like