back to article Yes! It's the the wireless USB Missile Launcher

Good news, office warfare fans - the USB Missile Launcher is back, in a new, flashier wireless version that makes for the strategic siting of remote batteries. Wireless USB Missile Launcher The USB Missile Launcher: can now be deployed remotely Like the wired version, the new launcher is controlled by a little targetting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Too low tech for now

When they will integrate it with a camera and software to automatically calculate firing solution - I'll be interested.

2. David Gosnell

Targeting

Wot still no web-cam targeting? Bah!

3. Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
    Black Helicopters

I spy a hack coming on...

Who wants to buy me one of these so I can hack it and give it video and laser sighting?

I reckon it would be easy enough to do....

I'll send you my paypal account details on request...

:o)

M.

4. Mark
    Linux

Linux support?

I mean, it doesn't seem to be much of a state secret how to tell the launcher to fire.

5. Fluffykins Silver badge

One more thing

Now put a targeting camera on the launcher and link that back wirelessly as well.

heh heh heh

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Battery

More importantly can I link multiple launchers together to create huge batteries?

Well?

Can I?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Weak

A collegue turned up with one of these (the wired variety) a few months back. 20ft range? The missile struggled to get clear of his desk.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Battery Response :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZ-QKglyrc

lols

9. Paul Smith
    Flame

@Anonymous Coward re Weak

Pah! Fool had left it in 'baby safe' mode! Any competent sys-op would have up-rated the spring to full-on 'mean and nasty' mode. Along with replaceing the soft plastic tips on the darts with sharp metal points - purely in the name of improved aerodynamics you understand.

10. Stu

Ye Olde' version

I bought the wired version, its a great little launcher, but it has a tendency to fire off loads of missiles when you ask it to only fire one. Some launchers fire off two, some more, and some just go round in a devastating four Patriot barrage (and the mech is still whirring away trying to fire more) - I pity the iraqis.

Have they solved it in this version El-Reg?

It works off a mechanical thing that doesn't always stop when it's fired one missile.

The other thing is it would be great if they'd release a dev-kit, at the mo we have to make do with poor under developed hack API kits - but wouldn't it be kewwwl if you could do it via a web browser?

Sweeet devastation.

11. Ian Michael Gumby
    Happy

Not a too terrible thing to hack...

Just need to know some details about the launcher.

Or you could just make a more industrial model yourself, add a camera and make it available via the web.

And decent undergrad or grad student with access to a machine shop to build the platform and house the mechanical pieces should be able to cobble something up....

Skip the laser since that means line of sight. What you need is some sort of in office "gps" system.

12. P. Lee
    Pirate

hack the interface!

Webcam bolted on, scorch3d used as a gui...

The office will never be safe again!

13. james
    Happy

How do i hack the old one?!

Ive never done anything like this b4, but i have the old canon one, and one to know how i can make it go further! :) if u wna email me, lazy-sod@hotmail.co.uk

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Armageddon (on a small scale)

Camera and big rubber bands already done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV6573UjSpc&NR=1

15. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

security?!

Unlike the wired version, this weapon appears to present an alluring target for enemy hackers wishing to remotely redirect its destructive power against its masters.

Military boffins advise the use of one-time pads.

As for Ms. Hilton, we must redouble our efforts to protect her from these new threats. It appears that she has been outfitted with a protective metal coating, which is a step in the right direction.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Size?

Might be important.

17. Eddie Johnson
    Flame

I want one. I rilly RILLY want one

But if NSA's monitoring all my communications through their secret ATT wiretap I expect I'll have a brigade of incompetent Feebs crawling up me arse a few days after placing my order. Anyone know a good Paypal proxy?

18. Rick Brasche
    Thumb Up

distance an issue, get the newer model

the newer one (wired) uses a spring to fire an air plunger. I get 15-20 feet consistently with mine. Problem is, the software hates Windows 2000-doesn't render right so to click the buttons to steer, you gotta click off them a bit.

Now I know there's linux and windows support for batteries of these, but you've gotta use up USB ports for each. I wonder if one wireless transmitter can control multiple launchers. If they're fixed to one channel, no one else in line of sight can have one of these. If they're different channels, you'd have to have multiple transmitters.

With a multi channel option, I wonder if one of those widgets that amplify or increase the range on IR based television remotes would work as a range extender? Could I hack the IR output of my PDA to drive this as well? Hmmm.

19. Dex
    Thumb Up

I have one!

on the desk and if any overly sized workloads are detected i.e the boss with a shitload of work - missles away!

BOFH series material methinks

20. Graham Marsden
    Pirate

When you mentioned Batteries...

... I thought maybe the BofH had found a way of installing a cattle-prod warhead on these...!

Kzzzzttt!!!

21. Ben Mathews

Needs a motion sensor...

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/room-defender/index.html

22. Richard Griffith

For those who prefer holding governments to ransom in their lunch hour...

...when are they going to release the Wireless USB Orbital 1,000,000,000,000,000 watt death laser with sub-atomic space zoom and six port USB 2.0 hub? (Drivers only available for the Linux crowd.)

Say that demand after me....

"one biiiiillion dollllllaaaaarssss!"

This topic is closed for new posts.