back to article Most organisations just not ready for Cloud: Computacenter

The majority of organisations do not have the infrastructure backbone to move wholesale to the cloud, according to a report by Computacenter. The services-based reseller took small steps into cloud provision earlier this year with the launch of C3 mail and has since added collaboration and virtual desktop solutions. But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ru
    Meh

Yay for solutions without problems

Sounds like management are all enthused over clouds, but the reality is that they're simply not useful for a huge number of businesses, and downright inappropriate for many more.

Still, lets not let boring old engineering practicalities get in the way of hyping funky new technology.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Clouds ARE useful, but they need to be approached correctly.

I believe that there is a VERY compelling case for organisations to be looking to trial their own private clouds or move services into public clouds if there are cost advantages. Sure, you need to have a coherent security and deployment strategy when moving to a cloud, but you are supposed to be developing that as part of your ITIL efforts anyway! The organisation that has the right IT processes and architecture can reap the benefits of the efficiency of balancing their applications across their hardware infrastrastrure and making the most efficient use of resource, or if they opt for a public cloud, they can enjoy the benefit of only paying for what they use. These are real benefits and that is why they are being considered by managers and people driving the IT strategies.

A move into the clouds is not straight forward and I think that there are a number of things you need to get right before you can consider it. You need to take a long hard look at security and your deployment processes. If you don't have automated repeatable builds from bare metal to your service being available, i.e. live, then you probably need to look at improving these areas first. I'd recommend you take a look at the book "Visible Ops: Private Clouds" ISBN 097556863-9 which outlines what you need to do to get cloud ready. A example of how you can simply provision cloud servers and applications with little or no administrator interaction can be found here http://www.practicalclouds.com.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Top Advert

How'd you manage to sneak that past the Reg then?

2. NightFox
    Thumb Down

Not Ready?

Not ready as in the same way I'm 'not ready' for 3D TV? I think them mean don't need or don't want. Nice advertising spin though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Quite

I too am "not ready" for the "Cloud".

I suspect that despite what this piece seems to state as fact, most businesses "couldn't give a shit" about the "Cloud".

The "cloud" might be a fun way to store some personal stuff like some dodgy photos or something that will later get hacked and posted up on the web ('cos that won't happen will it???), but storing your boring but business critical stuff on some anon server somewhere (who knows where?) administered by ...oh, no, we don't know who, either do we? ...with an unknown security system in place is not a recipe for take-up!

3. M7S
    Stop

Surely the other way around?

The cloud is not ready for my company.

Offering what we need and would like at a reasonable price and with a competency we could rely on.

Also I think some of the statements need qualifying further such as "The majority of companies are still focused on becoming 'cloud-ready'" should be changed to "The majority of companies surveyed in this report are still focused on becoming 'cloud-ready'". The majority of companies (in the UK as a whole, lets not forget all those small business, shops etc for whome a small LAN is more than sufficient) probably want nothing to do with it but that doesn't serve the interests of the PR people trying to sell this vapour based service.

4. Cloud_Zone

Cloud functionality

'...should we use cloud mainly to deliver existing functionality faster, cheaper and more reliably or should we address new issues all together. ..' http://ow.ly/6nOEX

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like