back to article Dixons predicts Olympics will boost sales

Dixons Retail has reported a sharp drop in sales, particularly in the UK and Ireland, but it still feels like it's doing well and the market seems to agree. The group, which includes PC World and Currys, said like-for-like sales in the first quarter in UK and Ireland fell 10 per cent and slid 7 per cent across the total group …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Olympics?

People are seriously considering upgrading their TV's to watch a 2-week festival of mediocrity? There really is no hope for this country is there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or rather

The retailers hope that we're all so sad that's what we'll do.

I suspect people who are keen on the Olympics have tickets to go and watch something live. Others will think 'oh, you get a better view on TV and I'd be paying my licence fee anyway so it's sort of free'. Others will not care at all.

A very, very few would use the Olympics as a reason to change TVs and if they do, they were probably going to do it anyway.

2. DrXym

DVB-T2

I expect they're hoping that people will fork out for a new TV to watch the Olympics in high definition. It's not unreasonable to suppose many people will do it too.

2. scifidale
    WTF?

Oh dear

I still dont get this 3d thing at all, I watched a bit recently in a sky booth (so assumidly the best of the best equipment), and yes it was tv but it still looked like one cardboard cutout moving in front of another, Meh! I'll wait until there is no choice but to buy a 3d telly.

1. JasonW

That's probably...

... where most of the 3D sales come from - people buying a new TV and "oh look, it comes with 3D" (and never use it)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

3D choice

"I'll wait until there is no choice but to buy a 3d telly"

If you want one of the better sets - faster refresh / better contrast etc. then you'll have to get a 3D set. The non-3D sets seem to be much poorer in their specification.

1. Paul_Murphy

Marketing

I suspect that's because the 3DTV marketing departments are doing the equivalent of:

'So there are 6 cores, each running at 3Ghz - that means it's a 18Ghz PC!'

3D demands more processing, as does HD, so TV's that can handle those will have a higher spec - though it won't do much good since the original signal is still the same.

3. DrXym

3D is a standard feature these days

I agree 3D is not a reason to buy a TV. But increasingly most midrange TVs feature the tech anyway. So if you're buying a TV you'll probably end up with 3D.

Biggest issues with 3D are the glasses are stupid expensive and there is little content. It probably makes more sense if you own a PS3 since you can play some games in 3D and blu ray movies too.

3. WonkoTheSane
    Thumb Up

Dixons prays Olympics will boost sales

Title fixed.

1. Elmer Phud

Home-based?

Well, if Boris gets his way and has a 30% reduction of commuters (some hope) then they will be either at home or, in the case of East London, trying to negotiate traffic.

They must need more tellies with all that spare time on thier hands while trying to explain to employers why, exactly, they can't get to work.

If Dixons do a big advertising campaign, maybe there will be another 'pick-your-own' event like last month's self-service exercise.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

A store

that used to use the phrase "dick Dixons" in its TV ads shouldn't be surprised if looters take them up on the offer.

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

3D telly - marketing meets stupidity

Most of the 3D TVs are active shutter glasses. If you are already making 120hz set then it's already capable of 3D, just needs a firmware mod on the assembly line. Then you just have to get the punters to shell out for some glasses - which you can charge more for than the TV and finally make some margin.

Trouble is that longer term, conning people into paying 200quid for a 30quid pair of shutter glasses that need to be pointed straight at the set, need recharging every time you come to use them and are impossible to wear if you already have specs is going to put people off.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Wait, 3D beach volleyball?

Where can I buy a HDD recorder to capture it?!

This topic is closed for new posts.