back to article Bodycount

In the ever deepening reservoir that is the FPS genre, most games ultimately fall into one of two categories. There are those which encourage thought, exploration, tactical nous, micro-management of resources and, of course, a good shot. We’re talking the likes of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Half-Life 2, BioShock and even Modern …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mark 63 Silver badge
    Stop

aye 8 consoles. for breakfast.

consoles are shite for fps

If you cant use a mouse, I aint interested

That is all

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Errm...

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/08/26/156243/PS3-Counter-Strike-To-Support-Keyboard-and-Mouse

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/127868/unreal-tournament-to-support-ps3-mouse-keyboard/

1. mark 63 Silver badge

yeah yeah

Well its a start, 2 ancient games that even an elderly pc can run, so i wont be buying a console just for that.

a universal m&k replacement for the controller would be cool , i think i saw a hacked together one once. but it would all be in the calibration

2. MJI Silver badge

No problems here with console FPS

If it is a controller game - everyone is lumbered with it.

I am currently playing Killzone 3 multiplayer, I find it really fun, no mouse though, I use a motion controller setup which is very mouse like in speed and accuracy.

And yes I have played PC FPSs.

1. mark 63 Silver badge

re

"everyone is lumbered with it." true but i still dont like it

For me the Mouse & Keyb system crossed a very important line - being able to control the game as fast as you can think, rather than waiting for the commands to take effect

(the newest analog consoles do provide for this, technically , but no human can control their hands on the analog range of those mushroom things as well as they can a mouse)

Theres a good reason they dont have cross platform fps games, a 4 year old with a mouse would easily pwn a veteran clan member on a console controller.

1. MJI Silver badge
          Happy

Mouse & Move

Well as someone who as used mouse on PC with such games as Orange Box and a few Dooms, I do like the mouse side but the keyboard side is not as nice.

Normal Dualshock 3 style controllers for FPS are not as nice or as quick, I am OK with some single player campaigns such as the first 2 Resistance games, but struggled like hell with Killzone 2.

Now I am actually not very good at games but I enjoy them, also I am playing Killzone 3 multiplayer most evenings and I am leveling up nicely, often top of my team for kills.

Why? Because I am not using a traditional controller. But as far as I am concerned the next best thing to a mouse - the Move controller, sit down arm on cushion, small flick of wrist equals VERY quick aiming, fast and accurate, fits in with you 4 year old with mouse theory.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Wait until the Daily Mail hears about this!

So if the game takes place in Africa then, shock horror! Does that mean you are shooting at black people?

Yes indeedy, we will have the likes of the Daily Mail furiously typing articles condemning this game as "Racist"

Please note the icon ok, but yeah expect it to happen.

3. regprentice
    Joke

treasure island dizzy

Wow codemasters are still going !!!!!!

Think the problem here isnt that the game is crap, but that the.right price for a codemasters game is £2.99. Sure it would have got 90% at that price point.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Plenty of decent Codemaster titles

Codemasters going strong and have plenty of decent titles.

Although they mostly seem to be racing / rally games.

And they have given up on the Micro Machines franchise.

I have been waiting on a reboot of the Dizzy franchise for years. Proper 3D platformer, part RPG.

As an aside, it wasn't the Daily Mail but the Metro newspaper that got all upset because they claimed Toca Race Driver 3 was going to have a M25 stage.

This was beside the fact that:

- TRD3 had already been released

- They claimed in an update that this was going into TRD4, which never existed

- M25 Racer, which had sections of (fairly unrealistic) M25 was released in the late 90s to muted response

4. MJI Silver badge

Why buy this over Resistance 3?

My next purchase, but to be honest I am still really enjoying Killzone 3

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

M&K

Odd. Becuase currently i am using a mouse and keyboard on my x360. Logitech G13 and Logitech G500.

1. mark 63 Silver badge

tell me more

I'm intreaged, does it work as well as on a pc?

can you adjust the sensitvity etc?

can you map keys to controller functions in any combinations?

do you have to join special servers that permit that? or is it a transparent replacement?

can you play any game or special ones that arecoded for it ( like CS as mentioned above)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like