back to article Hologram Live

Android’s live wallpapers offer the kind of personalisation that iOS users can only dream about in their most fevered imaginings but I’m still not a fan because they don’t do your battery any favours and more often than not they make it difficult to see what else is on your screen. But now I’ve found one - suggested by a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ray 11
    Alert

How much power do Live Wallpapers actually use?

They only use the CPU when visible and generally I don't sit with my Home screen visible the whole time and when it is visible the AMOLED screen is drawing significantly more power than the CPU for live wallpapers to really make a difference to battery life IMHO.

2. IsJustabloke
    Stop

I refuse to enoble a simple forum post!

Why?

That is all.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

What a world that has such noble titles in it

Answer: why not?

- the general

3. Marvin the Martian
    WTF?

Wow what an improvement to my phone!

Suddenly my phone's all so much more functional, and my relatives are ringing me with timely and succint conversations, the insurance company that's been cold-calling me at least thrice a week for literally months (all kinds of tantrums on my side notwithstanding) has suddenly stopped, and I don't get twice daily spam texts anymore that "you may be entitled £3500 in accident compensation". What a difference this app makes!

No, really, how does this battery-consuming tripe improve my lot?

1. Helena Handcart
      Facepalm

Curmudgeonism

You know, I once went to the cinema to watch a film. It was OK, it didn't change my life or anything, but it entertained me for a couple of hours, and I didn't mind paying the price of the ticket (although I can't say the same for the popcorn).

What you seem to be missing, Marvin, is that for 60p you have something that makes you smile for a bit and gives you something to show your mates down the pub, especially those with iPhones. For something to be worth a price, it doesn't have to _do_ anything apart from, perhaps, take your mind of your lot (and the feelings of inadequacy that seems to give you in particular) for a short while.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Art/ beauty needs no justification

It looks pretty, that's enough for those who enjoy it.

Now go look at some kittens or something.

4. Lars Petersson
    Holmes

Pretty...

But what I really want to know is which app took those nice screenshots ;-)

1. Bill Cumming

depends

They probably used "ScreenShot" to take the screen shots.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: pretty

A damn good question, but I fear the reviewer probably took those from the app author, and he captured them on a rooted phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

non rooted

you can take screenshots easily on a non rooted android phone - simply install the android

SDK on a laptop, connect the android phone with USB debugging...and theres a nice

tool in the SDK that will capture the screen.

5. Al Taylor
    Alert

from the author

All screen shots taken using the Android SDK running on an Ubuntu laptop.

6. Clive Galway

No good on Moto Defy

Very low FPS, laggy. Strange seeing as the simplest scene only appears to be two texture mapped cubes and I can play 3D games such as crazy snowboard just fine.

7. Jolyon Smith
    Happy

Screenshots...

Some nice phone makers build the capability right into their blend of Android.

On my Samsung Galaxy S2... press "Home" and Power buttons simultaneously and a screen shot is snapped and stored in the phone's photo gallery. Job done.

Ooops, I hope Apple's lawyers don't read this... the process is close enough to the iPhone feature that I am sure Apple will have patented it and slapped a[nother] lawsuit on Samsung, if not already then by the time I've finished typing...

8. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

No good on HTC Sensation

Rather juddery

9. Bob Fish

A bit naff

The concept is good, but it's just a bit, well... naff. The '3D' aspect reminds me of those early PC games - and not in a good way - and the orientation seems to be based on the handset being horizontal, which means that the more normal way of looking at the phone when it is nearer vertical puts the perspective out of whack.

Still, a harmless waste of 64p I guess. Worth a try.

10. fLaMePrOoF
    Thumb Down

App of the week??!

What a terrible waste of my time and 61p, the app is poorly designed, poorly coded and poorly supported.

After un-installing due to instabilities and several pointless emails the developer have refused to provide a refund.

Avoid 'Droidbean' in future.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like