back to article Deezer launches stunningly original music idea in the UK

French internet outfit Deezer is bringing its YASMS (or Yet Another Streaming Music Service) to the UK. It's FFU-compliant (Far From Unique). The UK has no shortage of music streaming services already: We7 was the first to get established, and Spotify launched in the UK over two years ago. In France, Deezer claims to have six …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Meh

i think i will stick with Spotify

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Is it STFU compliant?

3. Jon Thompson 1

Originality and innovation?

I don't think that the problem is that all the services are pretty much identical, it's more that we now have an online streaming model that appears to work well with the punters in Spotify, and that it's one the labels are happy with as well.

Look at how long it took Spotify to get up and running, all the legal hassles it had, and the grief the labels gave it. Then when it took off in a major way, the labels were right behind it

Now, other companies see that the labels themselves are happy to work with that model, so they just copy it rather than have to jump through ridiculous hoops with new ideas/services.

The labels have accepted online models, but as we've seen so many times in the past, they're reluctant to the point of being Luddites in accepting anything else new. So, for the time being, the Spotify way of doing business with the labels will probably be the best we can expect to see.

4. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I have low expectations...

I'm quite happy with Jango.

Or, if I really have an urge to repeatedly listen to a song, Youtube.

5. Steve Renouf
    FAIL

Meh? Hmm? I have low expectations...? Originality and innovation?

Sorry, but I still prefer to listen to music on my own independent devices - not rely on having an internet connection...

1. Danny 14
      Facepalm

ok

But why does that make it a fail? So everyone should adopt your model and not bother to innovate? Some of us prefer not to lug around a 32gb memory pen/uSD for our devices. My phone has a decent connection all the time I need it and again I stream quite happily.

6. Phil 54
    Thumb Up

Premium

Here in France pretty much everyone uses Deezer at home. It has a relatively good selection of artists and it's easier to let people use it at a party than to let them touch your vinyl, cds and/or mess about with your mp3s.

I have a Deezer Premium account that came free with my Orange mobile account. It allows offline listening, although you have to synchronize first and the files are encrypted on the hard drive. It wasn't at all a factor in the contract I chose but I have to admit that the android app gets used a lot; with a premium account you get unlimited mobile streaming.

1. amanfromearth
      FAIL

Make it up won't you..

I'm in France and I don't know anyone who uses it.

1. heyrick Silver badge
        Happy

@ amanfromearth

Will I do? Got it on my phone, been having some serious nostalgia moments with their selection of '80s songs. Set up a playlist, sync'd it, now I can listen when I want as often as I want even when there is no signal... Plus, downloading or streaming from Deezer doesn't deduct from my monthly allocation.

2. Yag

A froggie over here too...

And I don't know anyone who STILL use Deezer since it became FEPM.

3. Phil 54

True,

I overly generalized. I should have said "Pretty much everyone I know uses it"

Not to replace every other option but certainly on a regular basis.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Who cares if it's FFU compliant?

So long as it's F7U12RIAA compliant, I'll be happy.

8. Dabooka

Spoitfy who?

Never been there, loyally stuck with Last.fm for years now.

9. Andy 97
    Thumb Up

Moving forward like a glacier...

Considering the almost complete lack of understanding by the publishers of how the world really works; it's good to see more players come to the market.

10. Marky W
    Megaphone

Nice one

I don't recall ever reading an article more stuffed full of sarcasm than that one. It simply *reeks* of 'embittered old hack'.

Loved it.

11. Tom 7

IMSLP and MusicXML

Free shareable and infinitely extendible.

And the rest direct from the creator.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Napster

I used Spotify and found the music selection lacking where as Napster seems to be much better stocked.

13. nemo20000

We7 wins

I migrated from Last.FM to Spotify to We7. Very happy with We7 (especially the impossibly generous free Android app).

Until We7 screw it up, there’s no reason to change.

14. Florence

mFlow

I've been using mflow since Spotify limited free accounts. No ads, so enjoying while it lasts.

I've used Deezer before (it's actually worked in the UK for ages), it's alright, but I don't think the UI is any better than we7, and with limits even worse than Spotify, I tend to forget it even exists.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

a game for when you're bored

1. find a singer or band whose music has not been licensed for digital streaming or downloads ( there are quite a few, enough to suit all musical tastes )

2. locate examples of their music on one of these streaming/downloading services

3. complain to them that they're pirating these tracks

4. when they reply that they have been licensed to use these tracks by a major label (and they will), point out that the label has no rights to do this which means the service is indeed a pirate since there is no way of paying the artist(s)

5. for bonus points, add that you've passed on details to the artist(s) in question who have a history of successful litigation in such matters and express the hope that the contract between service and major label sets out clearly who is liable in such cases (which it wont)

1. Ed 11

Bored?

I can hand-on-heart say I've never been that bored...

2. amanfromearth
      Facepalm

Next time you're bored

Rearrange these words to make a well known phrase or saying.

life

to

need

a

get

I

16. heyrick Silver badge
    Stop

and is cited as one of the beneficiaries of the HADOPI nagware regime

Oh yes, that would be the corrupt regime where downloading stuff is illegal, yet our blank media hasn't gone down in price, implying we're *still* paying the long-standing levy - for an act that is now no longer lawful.

I'm not sure what is more surprising: the shit that gets push through government, or the shit that we're (still) willing to put up with...

1. Elron Hubward
      Coat

Blank media?

Erm... I can't remember the last time I burnt anything to disc.

My extensive collection of (royalty free and legally obtained) downloaded music is on hard drive and if I want some of it when I'm out and about it's a simple matter of copying it to a memory stick for the car stereo or to my mp3 player.

They can charge what they want for blank media... I haven't bought any in years.

Mine's the one with the 32GB X-Fi in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.