back to article Beyonce's belly: Most important thing ever, on Twitter

The Twitterati were in a frenzy after Beyonce's big news last night, setting a new Tweets Per Second (TPS) record. beyonce Beyonce announced her pregnancy at the VMAs. Photo by: AlexJohnson The announcement on the red carpet of MTV's Video Music Awards that the bootylicious R'n'B star was in the family way courtesy of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SuperTim

Whoop de doo!

At a last, what twitter was invented for. A means to tell everybody that you give half a monkeys about someone you never met being knocked up by someone else you never met.

Nice to see that the general public have their priorities right. Screw supporting people who need it, lets all support megarich musicians of average ability.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you seriously suggesting twitter provides a mechanism for supporting people?

What's the harm in reporting about it on a platform that will reach anyone who cares within seconds? You can still keep an eye on the Mongolian sand toad as well you know. Twitter isn't limited to following a single organisation or person.

1. SuperTim

Just to clarify

it wasnt reported on twitter, it was reported on the telly at the VMAs. The sheeple took it upon themselves to twit about it. Baaah... wee loooove beyonsaaaaaay.

I know it isnt a support mechanism, but an average popstart getting preggers should not outweigh bigger stories like the natural disasters that have happened, but then thats why Heat Magazine is so popular.

2. Martin Lyne

Or..

It proves there are more Twitter users now than before.

I'd like to see age-related trends, sick of seeing Bieber trending.

3. Josco
    Stop

The public are shallow and celebrity-hungry

That is all

4. pcsupport

Why?

All this seems to prove is that twatter users = chattering classes.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Who?

See title.

PS: Does this woman have a Google+ account, seeing that she has no apparent surname.

1. LPF
      Thumb Down

beyonce knowles

Seriously Google ever heard of it?!

2. DavCrav

Like...

"PS: Does this woman have a Google+ account, seeing that she has no apparent surname."

I believe it's Knowles or something like it, although I've never seen it written down. Your comment could also be applied to Kylie, Ant and Dec, Elvis, Elizabeth II, etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Beyoncé

Knowles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyonce

4. Just Thinking

Knowles

She does have a surname. Wonder if she is related to the equally talented Nick?

5. TeeCee Gold badge
      Childcatcher

Re: Who?

No surname? Isn't she Beyonce Z (nee Knowles)? Or are she and Mr Z not married[1]?

Gosh I am so ashamed I know that. I'll be opening a tw@ter account if this sort of thing continues.....

[1] Although you have to say that "Little Bastard Z" does sound like a shoo-in as a rap star, so they could be doing it a favour if so.....

1. The Grinning Duck
        Happy

Re: Re: Who?

She and Mr Z are married. No idea if she took his name, but rather unsurprisingly his real name isn't Jay Z, it's Shawn Carter.

Not at all ashamed to know that, I met Jay Z once and he's a really nice bloke. For saying he's a giga-bazzilionair and hip-hop royalty, he's rather quiet and down to earth. Which is nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, it makes sense...

...he's got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.

Well, I guess that technically a bitch IS his problem, but if they don't HAVE any problems, then... Honestly, I'm really not sure that the term accounts for the possibility of a happy relationship. Not so inaccurate when Mr. Z wrote it, I bet. But hey, if Trent Reznor can wear a suit, Jay Z can respect a woman, right?

6. Richard 22

Z?

Given she's married to Jay-Z, I can only presume her surname is also Z

6. Mike Street

Twatter

I have a friend who thinks that's actually what its called - "Twatter".

I think she may have a point.

7. Matt Sprigg
    Meh

Couldn't Give a Sh1t-O-Meter Broken

Reading off the scale

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

My readings agree.

This give-a-flying-fuck-o-meter is reading zero...

1. Steven Roper
        Meh

And

Giveafuck Bay has been dredged completely clear of Care.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

best of luck

to the pointless bag

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Gum flapping keyboard vomit by airheads

"The Twitter statistic could be taken as definitive proof of how shallow and celebrity-hungry the public at large is..." or an awful lot more about the predilections and interests of those prone to tweet. Until there is a equivalent of "celebrity gag" for tweet will continue to steer clear. PAris because vacuity seems a communicable condition.

10. Robert Ramsay
    Joke

She'll get so enormous...

...She'll be known as "Beyonce Castle"...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yellow card...

tsk, tsk...straight from the Basell Brush book of comedy that one.

1. 100113.1537
        Facepalm

Ha ha ha ha

Boom-boom!

11. Slabfondler
    Coat

Oh the irony...

...that we are all reading and commenting on an article about some twits, er, I mean twats, um, I mean tweets!

PS - mine's the one wit the band new iTwitSlab inside!

12. Jon Massey
    Joke

I guess that makes it 100 problems

for Mr Z

13. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

TPSs?

TPS. It's not as though it's MPGs or KPHs is it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

And how did I miss!

Womens' world cup!

Bring back Sarah. She'd never have let this slide.

15. skeptical i
    Facepalm

At least Mr. Z remembered to "put a ring on it".

Now, Smithers, unleash the "what will they name it?" twaddle-geddon.

1. Goat Jam
      Coat

He put whose ring on his what now?

OK, there's no need to push

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Didn't you get that memo?

Now we finally know what a TPS Report is!

(re: "Office Space")

Sorry - I'll go move to my desk to the basement.

17. Mike Flex
    FAIL

The pigswill is required, and must contain lettuce and/or beer slops.

This "news" didn't turn up on my Twitter feed but did appear on el Reg. So which is is the shallow, celeb-obsessed news source?

Must pop over to http://www.hellomagazine.com/ , there's some IT news I need to catch up on.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Coffee/keyboard

Nuts!

See Icon

18. Steven Roper
    Big Brother

For those

who are concerned about people's obsession with celeb goss and trivia marginalising important issues, I direct you to the following interesting comic strip:

http://www.egodialogues.com/words-language/huxley-orwell.php

TL;DR Compares Huxley and Orwell and finds Huxley was more spot on with his predictions...

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Thumb Up

Double plus good comic strip

Excellent post Steven;

Compare and contrast Huxleys "Brave New World" with Orwells "Nineteen Eighty-Four" is 7 tweets or less - 60 marks.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fail!

> The Twitter statistic could be taken as definitive proof of how shallow and celebrity-hungry the public at large is...

Nope, merely how shallow and celebrity-hungry twitter-users are.

Don't confuse publicised services with the general public. It's a bit like saying the public is obsessed with strictly-x-fear-factor tv. Mostly they aren't, but with no other handy thing to measure, the media assume people are obsessed with tv.

Ditto twitter, facebook, google and all the rest.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

@El Reg

You are officially on my shitlist for using the term 'baby bump'. If I could use the bomb, the flames, the facepalm, the WTF, the fail, and the ! at once, I would. I know you're going to whip out the old "It was meant ironically" defense, but that just doesn't fly - I'm sure HITLER would have done the same!!!

Honestly.

And @ a bunch of other guys (somewhat hypocritically), if the twitter users are so vacuous for commenting on Mrs. Z's... PREGNANCY... then how brilliant does it make the people commenting on the people who comment on Mrs. Z's... PREGNANCY...? A whole bunch of guys, ranting to each other about how much better they are than other people.

Hell, maybe you ARE better. It's possible - assuming that your main qualifications for 'better' include things like intelligence and life experience rather than cheerfulness and appreciation for bad music (though Jay Z's stuff is often quite good).

But: if you are, in fact, better people, sitting around on a tech forum, frothing posting about how lame it is when people sit around talking about wealthy entertainers, didn't help you get there.

1. Psmiffy
      Thumb Up

Say

Could we please have another button for up-voting possible flames-of-the-week?

21. Burch
    Holmes

So, if I have this right

An extremely famous woman (arguably the most recognisable living woman) announces that she is pregnant, and the news is spread widely via social media which is largely used to exchange snippets of information.

The only less surprising thing is Reg posters falling over themselves to prove how little they care. It's OK guys, nobody was accusing you of anything.

22. atomic jam
    Coat

My Love

I want her to feel my love gro.......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like