back to article BlackBerry handsets will be able to run Android apps

RIM is planning to put its "app player" engine into the next generation of handsets, providing Android compatibility to its phones as well as tablets. Bloomberg has been talking to people who asked not to be identified but confirmed that RIM's QNX-based handsets, scheduled for next year, will get the Android compatibility …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey
    Thumb Up

"Hope to make the RIM job trivially easy for devs"

Ah Friday, how I've missed you. Nice one Bill!

1. Turtle_Fan

Best sub-heading of the year

Right there...

2. Barry Tabrah
    Devil

Sandbox a priority

They'd better get the sandboxing right or this could punch a rather large hole in their phone's security.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Devil

RE: Sandbox a priority

Not to worry, that only affects private/consumer users, which makes them no more vulnerable than any phone with an OS that lets its owner install apps from the Web. But those of us with BES setups will simply restrict application rights and keep our lusers fuming at their inability to load games or other fun apps onto a business device.

<Insert evil laughter here>

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Another dyning platform

along with Windows Phone 7 and Bada.

I wonder how many Android developers will be bothered to submit their apps to RIM, given that the emulation layer needed to translate davlik to java bytecode means it will almost certainly run like a turd on Blackberries...

1. David Dawson

I wonder

It might not be quite that simple, I'm very curious how they've done it.

Bytecode is a halfway house already, they may have grafted a dalvik interpreter/ compiler into their jvm along side the normal bytecode one. Dunno if thats feasible, but if so and they've done it, it'd run things at the same speed as if they were java bytecode.

Certainly an interesting technical exercise. No comment on whether its a good idea....

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Boffin

RE: I wonder

I do wonder whether perfromance will make the experience painful compared to a native Android device. But, for those apps where a snappy response may not be necessary, this is a good move as it gives RIM a much richer apps market to plunder.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Google account integration

How well will this work also?

1. Michael Kean
      Meh

Re: Google Account Integration.

.. given how it's almost impossible to install the Gmail client on current Blackberrys, I don't have high hopes. Compared to Android and iDevices, they feel like Windows 95 crossed with Windows Mobile in operation.

5. Simon 4
    WTF?

Almost a year?

The PlayBook was launched in the US in April. That was four months ago.

6. mafoo
    Joke

Oracle

How long before Oracle sues them for using their source...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BB App + Android App = Happy

Having already installed the (leaked some time ago) Andriod app player on the Playbook, you can't tell the difference between a native app and an Android up. As far as I can tell it just increases choice - which is a good thing.

Simon 4 - WTF 'confirmed that RIM's QNX-based HANDSETS'. Official Android player for Playbook hopefully within two months.

God, I sound like a Blackberry fanboi.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope - I'm the fanboi! :)

C'mon El Reg - check your facts prior to biased reporting!

Playbook has been out for just a few months, April in the US?, and the native SDK has been available to "selected" devs for quite a while. EA used it to code the "Need for Speed" game on the PB.

What's new is that the native SDK is going public to world+wife "soon".

Android player app exists... an early version of it leaked a month ago. Many android apps run, including some of the big-hitting apps, and run at full speed. Crackberry has quite a long list of apps confirmed to run.

AFAIK Android apps will need to repackaged and made available through the BB App World site to be "downloadable" (though there are clearly already ways to get them and repackage them "unofficially" to get them onto the PB)... you can't just grab them off the Android appstore, but I can't see why any developer wouldn't want the additional revenue for the minimal work in making it available through BB App World.

So. It's just providing additional choice to the consumer. Which has to be good. :)

8. Simon Rockman

I guess it should be "some android apps"

Not just "Android Apps", and those that will work will be the ones that are all in dalvik with no library support. That is to say the crap ones.

9. Mikel
    Thumb Up

Android?

Wonder where they got that idea. Good on ya RIM, to not go quietly into the dark. Put up the good fight.

10. Nigel R Silver badge

this is the boat that Nokia missed

'nuff said

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like