back to article Nokia pitches cheapest voicephones yet

Voice-centric handset for 17 quid, anyone? That's what Nokia's offering in the form of the 100, a €20 handset pitched as its cheapest yet. Nokia 100 mobile phone The Nokia 100... It's a basic voicephone, of course, with texting and an FM radio as its only other key features. It'll be accompanied by the 101, which adds a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too fancy for me

I hate colour phone displays, especially ones that look like they've been designed by a love-sick orang-utan.

1. Ilgaz

Must have theme support

If it is S40, it can be easily customised via themes. If S30, colour scheme may be changed at least.

2. James 51

It won't end up here

I mustn't be shopping in the right places. Which on line retailers do you think will have it? I have been hunting for a x1-01 or c2-00 since they were released and with the exception of one dodgy looking website haven't found any offering them in or for the UK. There is ebay but there is a big margin slapped on there and given it's coming from the the far east you couldn't be sure if it was the real thing or not until it got here. Nokia seem to be releasing vapourware as far as US/EU is concerned for at least six months.

Expansys has had the N9 on pre-order for a while but no mention of when it will be released or what price it will be.

1. James 51

Have to eat a little humble pie.

Expansys have it on preorder but have no idea when it will be released or how much it will cost. They've had the N9 on preorder for a couple of weeks now so not holding my breath.

3. Anonymous IV
    Meh

Nokia 100 and 101 recycled?

Wikipedia reckons that the Nokia 100 came out in 1987 and the 101 in 1992.

I suppose for £20-odd they could well be the originals, retrived from a forgotten warehouse?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, no.

The MP3 initial release was made 1993 and the 101 incorporates an mp3 player.

4. calagan

Nothing beats the Moto F3

Dirt cheap - No idea what it costs now but got one for 30 euros about 5 years ago

Big characters and voice help for grandma

Super long battery life thank to e-ink display

Actually quite stylish, being one of the slimmest phones on the market.

1. mamsey

rUBBISH FoR TExTiNg...

which is a shame...

5. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Nokia Dual-SIM?

It is unusual to see a major phone maker with a dual-sim phone (after all what network is going to supply a phone designed to let you use it on someone elses network!)

Normally you have to get a dodgy adaptor to take 2 sims that doesn't fit inside the phone, and you have to turn the phone off/on to swap SIMs, you can't have both registered at the same time and receiving calls from either one or make calls on whichever you want)

The other option is one of the no-name chinese ones on eBay with no/badly translated manual and zero support.

Give me a decent smart phone with dual-SIM and I'll buy it at the drop of a hat. (At the moment I just have to carry around several phones; the £10 LG GS101 being one of them)

1. foo_bar_baz
      Happy

Yup

They've actually got some decent features on dual sim phones, including hotswapping and having both sims "online" at the same time. See the two signal bars in this:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-c2-03/features#dualsim

2. Manas Straw

Re: Nokia Dual-SIM?

Nokia, Samsung and other major manufacturers have several dual SIM models available in India. As for no-name chinese ones, the models available here go upto 4 (four) SIMs. You probably have been shopping in the wrong markets.

6. Sonny Jim

Designed for 'Developing nations'?

They look more like throwaway phones for drug dealers?

1. Ilgaz

or clever rich people

You know, these are also perfect backup phones. You may be surprised at their reception, battery life and speed compared to a "smart phone".

1. Chris Parsons

Absolutely

I have just bought an HTC Desire Z. Nice phone. Battery life around 1 day, GPS reception dreadful, connection to wireless network ok, if really close to AP. It replaces a Nokia E71, battery life around 4 days, GPS stunning, connection to wireless networks just amazing - I still got a useful connection 100 yards away. That's progress, I guess.

7. Goat Jam
    Flame

"It is unusual to see a major phone maker with a dual-sim phone"

Note the "Designed for developing nations" part.

Nokia *still* haven't figured out that their customers are end users and not the network operators.

Network operators in so-called "developed" countries don't want dual SIM phones because they threaten their customer lock-in business model so they will not allow Nokia to sell them.

If Nokia had any sense at all they would recognise that one of the reasons that apple kicked their arses out of the smartphone market is that they produce products that users want and ignored the networks altogether.

8. PRN
    Thumb Down

Nokia... aw.. forgetaboutit!

None of their dual sim offerings are available in Europe. The C2 was released one year after it's announcement. I trust Nokia when I see their products in my hands.

Look for Samsung C5212 for a dual active/active sim dumb phone. You can hold onto 4 conversations at the same time.

For a "smartphone" with two sims, look for ViewSonic V350, it's on pre- order at Amazon.co.uk.

I currently use the Samsung C5212, but looking to upgrade to the Viewsonic when it's widely released.

Wishlist: dual active sim, qwery keyboard, decent snapper. Any takers?

1. Dave Lawton

@PRN

Better still look for Samsung B5722 (2.7")or its replacement B7722(i) (3.2"). Wildfire sized, touch screen, dual sim, around 5-6 days on standby, not as cheap as the Nokia though, probably around 150 GBP.

HTH

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like