back to article Nintendo said to be readying replacement for 3DS

Nintendo may be preparing a 3DS revision that plays down the handheld's ability to display games and media in 3D. So says French-language website 01net, citing the outpourings of an unnamed Nintendo employee, who claimed the move has been prompted by parental fears that the 3DS' screen will mess with their nippers' eyes - and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Danny 5
    Meh

everyone i talked to

agrees that the 3DS is awesome, but hardly anyone is willing to shell out the current price. these are fairly hard times, so people aren't that willing to pay top dollar for it.

I'd get one of the price was lower.

1. Vitani

3DS

£130 is quite a lot when you could buy a tablet for that kind of money (with a bigger screen, more apps, etc. too), especially when if you want a "real" game, that'll set you back another £20. But the 3DS is nice, the games are fun and I get perhaps a bit too excited when I get a new StreetPass hit (Although at my recent trip to Alton Towers I got no hits, none!), it's all good, but only if you like the price.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Funny

but everyone I have talked to say they are shit, and that's why nobody has one...

It's an even bigger flop than the HP Touchpad, at least that's half-decent.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"everyone I talked to"

And I'm sure you polled people at random, not just people that were obviously going to agree with you for a reason or another.

Because out of all the people I talked too, they don't all agree that it's awesome.

2. HaplessPoet
    Holmes

History Repeats itself?

Looks like Nintendo learned nothing from their last foray into 3D.

3. Frosty840

Only themselves to blame

Given Nintendo's track record with handhelds, of late, with the rubbish DS, the brilliant DS-lite, the pointles DSi, and the superior DSi XL revision, I would consider myself an idiot if I bought a 3DS before discovering what their second-gen hardware would change.

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

Truth

Honestly, I'd rather they took out the 3D and put in a normal screen, just a bit larger. Oh, and fixed the battery life and price.

1. A. Lewis

^This. Hard!

To my mind they perfected the DS with the DS lite.

The only feature of any later models that I've seen and thought might be good is the DSiware online shop/game downloads. Even this though I felt wasn't enough to justify shelling out for a DSi.

As for 3D? If I want to see things in 3D I'll just look away from the screen, thanks.

4. Vitani

Hmmm

Wouldn't it be cheaper, easier and make much more sense to just change their marketing strategy rather than change the console?

5. Greg J Preece

Perhaps also because it's naff?

The adverts are amusing, listening to Nintendo breathlessly play up the console's "amazing graphics", that still aren't on a par with the original PSP., and the "advanced connectivity" that basically equates to "online multiplayer." In fact, the current ads barely mention 3D at all, to be honest.

There have been a good number of DS revisions now, and I've owned several of them. In truth, I'd rather have a PSP Slim than any of them, hands down, no contest. The DS range focuses on gimmicks and "family friendly" shovelware trash, whereas the PSP has titles that look suspiciously like actual games.

1. Peter H. Coffin

"advanced connectivity"

It's a combination of "online multiplayer" (to a distant server), "local wireless multiplayer" over zero-config ad-hoc wifi, "sleep-time automatic updating" mostly in the form of content delivery (they've been sending new videos and some free games/reference tools to handhelds lately), and "streetpass", a optional promiscuous avatar exchange thing, which influences gameplay in some software. There's some really cool possibilities within the latter two passive communications things, but they haven't been taken advantage of much yet, in the same way that the VR games using the onboard stereo camera haven't been either.

6. MJI Silver badge

Nintendo

Did very well but now everyone who wants one has one, (or more).

3DS slightly too expensive compared to the DS, not enough games yet, still control limited.

Wii U missed opportunity by the look of it.

My children who have DSs are not very interested it the 3DS, if Nintendo had done the job properly they would have wanted one at launch.

They like their PSP as well but that gets less use than the DSs as it is more of the serious games, where you play for a while rather than a few minutes.

What is telling is that the 3DS doesn't bother them but they want a Vita.

I think that Nintendo needs to keep doing DS games to make money.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Nintendo handhelds are a bit like Microsoft releases

Wait for the second or third update before you buy one.

Personally I still love the looks of envy my GB Micro gets whenever I'm on the train. Why would anyone ever need a handheld more powerful than a Space Harrier cab anyway?

8. A. Lewis
    Facepalm

Pffft

Where did Nintendo get this idea: that the solution to any handheld problems is to release a 'new model'?

I don't recall exactly, but surely the original DS is only about 5 years old*? (Mine is still going strong!) Since then we've had the DS lite, the DSi, the DSi XL, the 3DS and now the 3DS2? Personally I consider extra options like 3D or a built-in camera to be gimmicks unrelated to the core functionality of the device: playing games on the move. In this respect, there's been little change in these last five years, and certainly no reason to have shelled out for the cost of the console four times over!

*Just checked, according to wikifiddle, EU release date was March 2005. So six and a half years. Perhaps reasonable to have two 'generations' then, but six is a bit much!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Remote control

The ability for Big N to brick the thing if 'they' don't like how you are using it. And the EULA that say that they own anything you load on it, makes this something that should be left on the shelf. The EULA makes even Sony look like angels. Glad to see the public are fighting back.

1. QuinnDexter
      FAIL

RE: Remote Control

Really? People aren't buying the 3DS cos of the EULA? Is that what you actually think, that people are protesting against the amount of supposed remote control over a device?

Of course, that's got to be exactly why people haven't bought it. Nothing to do with the stupid angular styling, that fact it looks like it has been built in five different scaled parts and superglued together poorly, the *fear* over headaches or eye damage, lack of good games, or the fact that its expensive. No. It's the EULA.

You, sir, are a tit.

Of course, people haven't been buying the HP TouchPad because of the font that was used, and they changed the font last night and that's why everyone has bought it today.

10. deains
    Coat

Introducing...

The Nintendo 2DS?

11. MJI Silver badge

Rumours are a second analogue stick

If true - Nintendo should have done this at launch.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Racial Slur

Was there a bet in the office to see if a racial slur can go un-noticed in this article?

Bit childish boys.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Racial Slur

Eh? Can't see it myself. Care to enlighten?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor choice of wording...

Quote:

" mess with their nippers' eyes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs#N

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Poor choice of wording...

'Nippers' means kids, as any fule kno, and has for long years past.

Even the Wikipedia page you cite doesn't list 'nipper'. Something close to it, yes, but not the same word.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like