back to article WikiLeaks admits insider deleted loads of its data

WikiLeaks has explained the non-appearance of Bank of America data it frequently promised to publish: a defector took the only copies with him when he left the organisation and has now deleted the files. Daniel Domscheit-Berg left WikiLeaks last summer and took the documents with him following a dispute with Julian Assange. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimC
    Coat

...has tried to extract money from the group in return for their data.

Whose data?? Surely "extract money... in return for *someone else's* data":-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No honour among thieves

"He's stolen the stuff we stole."

1. Tom 13

I read the article as

He stole back from us the stuff he originally stole from BoA.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

You clearly don't read very well then.

>"He stole back from us the stuff he originally stole from BoA."

No, he didn't, because he never stole it from BoA in the first place. He was a wikileaks employee, not the BoA insider who initially leaked the data. He also isn't the member of the Department of Homeland Security who leaked the no-fly list, and most likely not the hacker who raided the neo-nazis mail spools. Try reading the article again, this time without your blinkers on.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

Is it a leaker? Is it a mole? No... it's DANIEL!

When will the interview appear on WiReD? Maybe followed by a presidential Medal of Freedom, just for the hell of it.

3. Dennis Wilson

Uncle Sam

Funny how only American data has been erased. Not Chinese, not Russian, but just the American stuff.

Somehow i have this funny feeling that uncle sam was involved.

1. ArmanX

Actually, I find it funny that only American stuff gets published...

Draw your own conclusions.

1. mhenriday
        FAIL

«... only American [read US] stuff gets published»

Actually, ArmanX, a look through the WikiLeaks archives would be sufficient to disabuse you of that notion - but then again, one doesn't really have to know anything to post a comment on an El Reg thread - of for that matter, to be an El Reg blogger....

Henri

1. ArmanX

@mhenriday - You're right...

I realized that what I wrote was not what I originally intended. Something more like "Only US stuff gets in the news."

Obviously, there are leaked documents from all over... it's jut the ones from the US that manage to get everyone waving their arms and shouting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Didn't you know...

That Assange only has data on Uncle Sam and not China or Russia or anyone else... Lets face it.

The US is a paper tiger when it comes to this stuff. Russia? Had Assange had anything on Russia, you can bet the old KGB types would have already taken care of Julian.

(They don't put up with his antics. The US? Well they have an image and laws that prevent them from doing things.... look at how well Gitmo turned out.)

This guy may have done Julian a huge favor. Too bad Julian won't stop to thank him.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Funny thing...

Had I not made this post as an AC, I would probably had gotten down voted.

4. User McUser
    Facepalm

Backups?

Surely one of these idiots thought to make a backup copy of these things somewhere.

I mean what kind of buffoon has that sort of important information and doesn't make an encrypted copy to an external HDD or whatever?

1. Scorchio!!
      Thumb Up

Re: Backups?

"Surely one of these idiots thought to make a backup copy of these things somewhere.

I mean what kind of buffoon has that sort of important information and doesn't make an encrypted copy to an external HDD or whatever?"

Lots here for everyone; there was a hostile 'insider'; internal security was lax; there were no backups; Assange is a flake who claimed there were encrypted backup copies all over the world, and I laughed my arse off when I read that someone wants money from him, remembering as I did that he wants to establish a pay wall, that he is going to do his autobiog, that he claimed the data were 'his', and other money oriented blah that came from out of his ugly upper orifice.

As I said, the wheels are coming off the short bus.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Wimps and Heroes .... The World is Too Full of the One and Always in Need of the Other

"Assange's organisation confirmed on Twitter that Berg had destroyed 20 gigabytes of information from the Bank of America, the entire US no-fly list and US intercept arrangements for 100 companies as well as details and emails from 20 neo-Nazi groups and a German far right group."

Now what possible good reason would Daniel have for doing that willfully destructive, and some would even say, treacherous act? I hope he was well paid for it if it is true, for it doesn't reflect too well upon him as a fearless defender of everyone's right to know what is being done to them and/or what is being planned against them, even as it is being touted as being good for them, which is what democracy pimps as it pumps out what is really neo-conservative fascism in essence and form.

1. BillG
      WTF?

Wimps and Heros and Capitalists

Well, I think that if Assange can release confidential data in return for humongous cash donations, then why can't Berg delete data in return for cash?

There's also the unwarranted assumption that Berg deleted the data with without Assange's consent. If we are led to believe the unbelievable - that Assange the Infallible had (gasp!) no backups of the data (really?) - then I wonder if this is all just play-acting and Assange took a hefty sum from BoA et al to delete data.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh really

So the most damaged information that could have come from WikiLeaks has been deleted - JUST LIKE THAT! That is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard. First and foremost there is only one copy of the data - yeah right, then it is stolen - yeah right, then it is destroyed. This is a laught a minute if it wasn't so down right deceitful. I am sure that this bank of american information would have brought down America so no suprise it has "BEEN DELETED", though nothing can stop America's demise now any way.

1. PershingDriver
      Mushroom

Re: America's Demise

If the US goes down your country will be along for the ride. Differance is that the USA can still grow/raise enough food for itself and drill enough oil (ND has more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia) As for stopping the decline I beg to differ. It can be stopped its called the 2012 elections. Provided they do away with "baseline budgeting" and get spending down to pre 2008 levels.

7. Richard Jukes

eh?

I suppose he's also deleted at whole load of data that can prove Assanges innocence in Sweeden? You know, the files marked 'EVIDENCE THAT ASSANGE DID NOT RAPE ANY GIRL, IT WAS A HOAX JUST FOR THE LULZ OF IT!!"11!!"?!!!! !!!!! !!!'

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moral of the story

Don't annoy sources, or your acquaintances, if you require something of them.

9. ratfox
    FAIL

Oh my, how ridiculous

Seriously, no backups? In an organization that prides itself on its resiliency, I find that highly suspicious. But I am curious to hear what the guy himself will say. He seems to have been trying to raise funding with empty promises, according to the CCC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

BOFH

Guys, reality check.

The BOFH has the ability to delete every version of the data to which he has access. So unless there were regular offsite copies made, then it is equally likely that the BOFH has in fact deleted all copies.

And I thought destruction of provate property and extortion was illegal?

Personally I hope the Germanic twat gets his ass slung in a work camp for this.

Dweeb

1. Scorchio!!

Re: BOFH

"Personally I hope the Germanic twat gets his ass slung in a work camp for this."

I've posted up information showing that Assange could not guarantee the safety of sources in relation to terrorism disclosures, and this seems to bear the point out:

"The documents in question were stored on the WikiLeaks server until late summer 2010, when Domscheit-Berg left the organization , taking the files with him upon his departure.

Now Domscheit-Berg says that these documents were "shredded over the past few days in order to ensure that the sources are not compromised." WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could not guarantee safe handling of the documents, he says. "

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,781581,00.html#ref=nlint

Assange has already said that there would be 'collateral damage', and his infamous comments that informers have only themselves to blame are on the record: I've posted information pertaining to both data sets. Domscheit-Berg seems to have been concerned over precisely these things.

2. Scorchio!!
        FAIL

Re: BOFH

"And I thought destruction of provate property and extortion was illegal?"

All of which reminds me, these data were not the property of one Assange, J.. They were stolen. As far as extortion is concerned, I don't see any demands by Berg for the safe return of these data, albeit belonging to an organisation other than Assange's.

10. banjomike
    FAIL

And naturally we believe them, ...

... just like that, because Wikileaks are such a trustworthy and dependable non-publicity seeking organization that is impossible that anything they told us in the past could be wrong, or exaggerated, or even a fib.

11. Miek
    FAIL

Um ...

What a childish Cock.

12. mhenriday
    Pint

Great career move, Daniel !

Hope you have been remunerated in the princely fashion - a careful reading of Niccolò Machiavelli's «Il Principe» will surely turn up some appropriate suggestions - you so richly deserve....

Henri

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personality Culting installment #1314028198

Personally I'm getting a bit tired of the hysterics and the personality culting. And that's not just Assange; Berg appears to have gotten himself kicked out of the CCC for wikileaks-related claims.

At first I was mildly annoyed at Berg for doing this, but then I realised it's actually wikileaks (read: Assange) who's saying this, so it might be an attempt to discredit Berg or force him to show he's still got the data by releasing it.

The sad thing is that this leaking idea is going down the crapper in a hurry and that in fact the anonymous/lulzsec/whoever bunch are currently the most reliable public uncoverers of hidden data.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Just have to hope that the

Truth about Roswell, Area 51 and suchlike wasn't in the 20GB of deleted files.

I'm still holding out hope that "The Knowledge" aka undeniable proof of extraterrestrial intelligence is hiding in the "Insurance" file.

I am convinced there is a big cover-up going on right now, rumour has it that the memristor is a direct descendant of the "transcapacitor" recovered and later reverse engineered from the Roswell debris, and in fact silver compounds can be used as a solid state fast switching variant according to the latest IEEE Spectrum papers.

AC-6EQUJ5

15. Shane Kent

At A.C.

ETs were here, but they converted themselves to light to travel at the speed of light and got absorbed by the blackness around us. No proof to be had, RIP ET.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Berg first publicised OpenLeaks at Davos

I think it costs about £20,000 a day to attend. I wonder where he got that sort of money from. Given that government heads all attend, I would imagine security clearance would be needed too.

OpenLeaks - acceptable to all heads of government. What more praise is needed?

17. Alan Brown Silver badge
    FAIL

Data stored...

...in less than 2 places, is not backed up.

Raid-1 does not count as 2 places.

Nor do copies on disk attached to the same computer the main data is on.

Something smells and it isn't da Vulture's feet.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

To Bad about the Bank of America Data

I was hoping they would finally get what is coming to them.

I wonder if BOA paid the guy to delete the data?

We will probably never know.

Once again the evil organization gets away with murder.

19. tiggertaebo
    Flame

Live by the sword..

..die by the sword. Someone deleted the data that waste of oxygen Assange acquired illegally. Boo-Fucking-Hoo.

Maybe BoA did pay this guy a fee to wipe the data, maybe he just felt that he didn't want any more people becoming "collateral damage". Maybe the people who leaked the data don't fancy ending up like that idiot Manning and asked him to delete it themselves. Does it really matter?

20. Mr. Flibble

When will organizations learn?

This kind of problem is why they should use freenet or something similar....

21. JimC

And another possibility

is that they never had the stuff in the first place...

22. Bango Skank

Berg <-> Twat

That's all

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like