back to article Google unleashes Street View upon the Amazon

Google's Street View is heading down the Amazon to capture pictures of "some of the most remote and biodiverse areas in the world", according to its official blog. The Street View team will be floating downriver in partnership with the Amazonas Sustainable Foundation (FAS), the non-profit conservation organisation that invited …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph

Venice?

Now they've got the cameras on a boat, will they be extending Street View to cover Venice?

2. David 45

This could be boring

Surely one part of the Amazon is going to look very similar to the rest of it? Can't see the point of repeating shots of the same water!

1. Jim 59

Water pics

Yeah there will be that one picture with the crocodile, and another with some children waving from the bank. Pictures of a million acres of tree stumps and JCB diggers will perhaps not make it due to lack of disk space.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

waiting for

I am waiting for the protests from the privacy paranoid people who will object to a water born google spycam because it can well err... cruse up and down rivers spying on people fishing on the canals of the world.....

I would like to see the cams mounted on submarines to map them !!

4. Mad Hacker

Amazon.com?

I was trying to understand why Amazon.com had a river although partnering with Google made sense.

5. Jim 59

sharing

"By teaching locals how to operate these tools, they can continue sharing..."

Hows about just leaving them alone ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Heh

"Teq'lin: Hunting has been poor, and what's more, I was nearly eaten by an alligator. I think it's time to put a turbo on the canoe. #alligators"

In all seriousness, this is pretty cool stuff. It's one thing to see grand, majestic photos of the rain forest - but there's an immediacy to Street View that makes it more real, even if less beautiful. Who cares about preserving the amazon; it's just a bunch of glossy postcards, movie settings, and hey, it's kinda like those Crysis games, too. I think that if you can move around in it, and see it as it really exists, that might give a better sense of what you'd actually be losing if it all went away.

...And watch, Google will use 50mp Hasselblads, and send along their clone of Ansel Adams.

6. Tim #3

Skip to content

Coincidentally I saw a Street View car heading to Lowestoft this morning. Couldn't help noticing how tall the camera mast on them is nowadays. Tis a nice sunny day for peering over fences & having a good perv at sunbathers...

7. zen1

So....

what exactly is the street address for "the amazon"?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like