back to article Telecom NZ invokes wrath of frisky rugby fans

Telecom New Zealand’s annual results announcement on Friday were overshadowed by a “torrid” marketing gaff. New Zealand’s national carrier has been forced to kill a Saatchi & Saatchi created campaign, valued in the hundreds of thousands, called ‘Abstain for the Game’ which was set to run in the lead up to the Rugby World Cup …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rippy
    WTF?

Huh? how do you get offended here?

Even to a prudish Canajun, it seems silly rather than offensive. What's The Fuss?

G.

2. Jon Smit
    Coat

Wot?

No mention of sheep welfare ?

1. Knoydart
      Black Helicopters

Pandering to stereotypes

You obviously missed the story about some wanting to heard sheep down Auckland´s main street during the RWC next month. Thankfully they cancelled that one too. Now the world just has to experience work class traffic jams in jafaland and a somewhat very very under invested public transport system instead.

Helicopter, cause its the only way to get to the game on time

3. DaiKiwi

I was offended that it was lame and unfunny

Both Saatchi & Saatchi and Telecom must have been smoking something if they thought this ad was gong to fly. They should have gone the opposite direction - something about rooting for the team, perhaps?

4. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

Huh?

I don't get the joke. It's meant to be funny, yes? What was all that guff about the best man at a wedding? Why were his relatives upset?

Maybe I need more coffee. Yes, that must be it.

5. veti Silver badge
    WTF?

BFD

Yeah, I don't see how people got their underthings in a bunch about this. I don't understand the campaign, but I'd have been willing to watch it on the offchance that there was a punchline or two in there somewhere.

Instead it's being slated as a gaff. The only "gaff" I see here is that some asshole leaked the story to the media before the campaign was ready for launch. That suggests that either security was a joke or Telecom trusted someone it shouldn't have, but that doesn't even begin to reflect on the campaign itself.

This topic is closed for new posts.