back to article Apotheker prescribes transformation elixir for HP

As everyone knows by now, Hewlett-Packard is trying to buy the British software company Autonomy as it shuts down its webOS hardware business and hopes to spin off its Personal Systems Group. But here's a question for you: In HP's third fiscal quarter, which of its units actually showed year-on-year as well as sequential …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged

Printers and ink

If only HP didn't produce shitty overpriced versions of both these days.

2. nyelvmark
    Holmes

Hmm.

The author seems to be surprised - or maybe expects us to be surprised - that an ailing giant seeks to sell off a profitable division. But if you need capital (or all your divisional managers have persuaded you that you just need capital), how much can you raise by selling unprofitable divisions?

3. Billl

Apotheker prescribes transformation elixir for HP

Yeah! Fire the board of directors... oh, wait.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apotheker prescribes transformation elixir for HP

The problem with HP in recent years seems to have been that the board has always caved in to the demands of shareholders to "realise value", doing so the easy way by just slashing "costs" in a vain attempt to placate the institutional investors who want a return on investment no matter what. What HP needs is someone with the stubbornness of Steve Jobs (but not the belligerence) who isn't afraid to tell such investors where to shove their demands.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

OMG

Apple is the only personal computer manufacturer in Europe that has demonstrated growth of any description during the second quarter. Major players HP, Dell, Lenovo and Asus all showed negative growth.

I cry a tear, NOT!!!

5. Eddy Ito
    Holmes

Do you think?

"there might be some strategic way to license webOS and extract value from it.

Perhaps by selling it as a patent portfolio."

Just days after Google buys Moto Mob... This was clearly a "Hey Sailor..." shout out to Google. Well, to Google and everyone else. Hey someone has to pay the bills.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

One suspects

that the borgisation of Autonomy might result in its rapid descent under the quicksands. Competitors might be happy....

7. Tony S
    WTF?

Hmmmm

I wonder how the shareholders will react to this? I'm guessing not too well and Apotheker may find himself available for offers again.

As for HP developing software, I have my doubts. I'd understand it if they decided to move more into consultancy and design services as that would make a great deal of sense. Equally, providing cloud computing services would fit well with their existing business. But software development? That can't end well.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Leo when he was at SAP - if he thinks he can transform HP into a rival to challenge SAP, then he is even further away with the fairies than I thought.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmmm

"I wonder how the shareholders will react to this?"

They probably demanded this. HP's boardroom is a shark tank and the shareholders are the audience throwing in bits of shark and buckets of shark blood and demanding to be "entertained".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

According to a BBC article....

Founder Mike Lynch, who owns 8.2% of the stock and has pledged to vote for the deal, told the BBC: "HP understands the special culture we have. This is about building Autonomy. It will be a positive thing for Cambridge and the UK."

Apart from the MASSIVE irony of a company called 'Autonomy' being bought, just how will this be good for Cambridge and the wider UK? What if HP decide to ship the business to the US (India / China...)? It's software (plus support services) they provide so 'just' IP and people (well, FTE's). Not a problem.

Buy hey, WTF - the shareholders will be massively rich after the sale (assuming it goes through).

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

The Market reacts

Looks like the shareholders at HP aren't too impressed with the pointy haired MBA running the company.

* HPQ (-20.16%) in todays trading.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:HPQ

Not even Fiorina screwed up this bad.

9. SplitBrain
    FAIL

Been saying it for ages...

You cannot just be a pusher of tin and expect to make decent money in this day and age. IBM recognized it nearly 2 decades ago, and HP is only just converting itself to a "services" company. Problem is they have no software with which to do it...no database, no middleware, no application servers, no business apps. Stuff IBM and Oracle has in abundance, along with hardware lines to run them on.

Palm was a fuck up of gigantic proportions, a year on and it's a write off. HP has finally figured out that it cannot compete in the consumer space, hence PC/WebOS murder. Problem is that it cannot compete in the enterprise either. High and dry is what they are.

Printer ink has carried this company, that isn't going to last...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like