back to article Hey, HP laptop owners: click here to get hijacked

If you use a Hewlett-Packard laptop, chances are a hacker can hijack your machine simply by luring you to a malicious website. The pwnage comes courtesy of "HP Info Center", which comes installed on most HP laptops, according to a post made Tuesday to Milw0rm.com. It turns out one of the ActiveX controls uses three insecure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Is this really only for laptops?

I have an HPQ business-class laptop at home, and HP Pavilion desktops too. They normally run my OS setup (a clean install of Win2K) not HP's junk-laden XP (Norton? Who wants it), but my recollection is that the InfoCenter is part of the default XP install on the desktop as well as on the laptop. Anyone able to confirm?

(I'd ask at the original site but work's websense blocks it :().

2. Harry

"Anyone able to confirm?"

Dunno, but an HP desktop here is offering an available HP update so it could well be.

3. Mike

See if you've got the control

Launch regedit and see if there's anything under this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{62DDEB79-15B2-41E3-8834-D3B80493887A}

4. Steven Hewittt

Just format them!

Don't care at all for the crap that any OEM ships with their machines. First thing to do is wipe and install vista.

Don't need trial of Norton or other resource hogging 'security' software. No need to have trial versions of Office or Works. Be it Vista or Linux, I can manage the hardware pretty well in the OS thanks - why bother with the 'network manager' or 'security assistant' muck.

Got enough to patch without useless 3rd party muck that just replicates what OS's already do.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better Yet

Re-format and reinstall all new PCs / Laptops and remove all the junk pre-installed by HP, et al.

6. Dave
    Go

Even better yet..

Don't know if it will get rid of HP info centre but the PC Decrapifier seems to do a good job on Dells

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

I'd vote it number 1 in the best named app as well :)

7. John F***ing Stepp

I guess I accidently removed all that HPBS when I bought this machine.

Because, really; do I actually need all of that overhead for a laptop that I am going to use to write software?

If it were not for the fact that I have to write in a M$ environment this puppy would be running Linux by now.

I generally take a few drinks and fire up hijackthis on a new install, knock out all the BFOs and helper apps kill off the autoupdates with extreme prejudice and end up with something that runs faster than the 'three legged dog' that comes out of the box from the computer store.

(Heck, this machine came preinstalled with the blaster worm.)

8. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like