back to article Man admits to running $800,000 carder ring

A Brooklyn man has pleaded guilty to aggravated identity theft for his role in an operation that defrauded credit card issuers of almost $800,000 in bogus charges. Jonathan Oliveras, 26, also pleaded guilty to wire fraud and admitted to managing scheme to purchase stolen credit card information from people in Russia and then …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Didn't work for AIPAC?

Prison for you!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pah...

Oi! US Banks! Get chip and pin, kill the magstripe. It won't kill CNP fraud, but it would have seriously curtailed this sort of fraud.

3. kain preacher

@pah

No CNP here please. Why? Banks will insist on it being your fault.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I doubt it...

It's written into law in the UK that banks have to show without doubt that the customer was responsible for fraud. A transaction being chip and pin approved isn't proof because the PIN could have been shoulder surfed.

Furthermore: Are you happy to put up with a multi-million dollar crime industry because it's inconvenient to use methods - albeit not perfect - which are already available to stop it?

4. kain preacher

Few things

I do believe that if CNP came to the US they would use the cheapest crappiest method to implement it as it would cause havoc. IE NFC on credit cards. In other countries they use a different CC number for the NFC transaction.That way if they do clone the NFC number it has to be used in person at a place that takes NFC as payment. Nope not here they use the same number so I can clone the damn card with it leaving your wallet .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Kain Preacher

1) They don't use the same number.

2) You'd have to be within 10cm-ish to make it work

3) There is the issue of the cryptographic exchange to get a transaction made.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like