back to article Video CAPTCHAs target cyberbaddies

NuCaptcha has extended its video-based CAPTCHA service that it claims will make things easier for users while making life more difficult for spammers and other cyber-baddies. The technology, which is customisable, involves asking users to identify moving text in an animation against a video background. NuCaptcha is positioned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

…solving the CAPTCHA … is normally farmed out to the humans…, often based in India…

Or, if they're not doing that, it's the dodgy sites that put up "fake" capchas, which were collected from another site.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

easier?

Looking at their demo, if you consider that a video is basically just lots of frames then each frame looks easier to solve than most typical CAPTCHAs, and if you can't identify the text try again with the next frame which helpfully gives you the same letters but a slightly different arrangement so your OCR should have better luck!

The only reason I suspect a system like this might work is security by obscurity, if any major sites start using it then I expect it to be added to automated tools in no time, with a far higher solving success rate than most existing CAPTCHAs

On the other hand I was able to read it, which does put it one better than most of the things - have you tried solving googles account signup one? (they have the best system with recaptcha, which they don't use themselves for their own services?? and don't even get me started on the "visually impaired" version!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks easier

This looks to be easier for computers to interpret.

Automated CAPTCHA interpreters attempt to separate the words/letters from the background and interpret them. With the current static CAPTCHA they only get one image to work with.

With an animated CAPTCHA they can interpret each individual frame and come up with an "average" interpretation which will be more accurate than a single frame. Additionally, since it is an animation, the images can be interpreted as a sequence and the different animation elements separated and interpreted.

Overall, animating the CAPTCHA will provide to much extra information for the automated interpreters.

1. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

Forget Averages

Why not just isolate the video clip background? It should be the /exact same/ each time, unless it too is randomized (such as the bubbles example).

Either way, the high contrast and wildly different colors vs the background should make any program that is intelligent enough to pull individual frames out of the animation easily able to figure out the characters.

4. John Latham

Browser support

http://www.nucaptcha.com/resources/security-features

"We're often asked how NuCaptcha is displayed. One common assumption is that it is rendered in Adobe Flash. NuCaptcha is displayed as an H.264 MPEG-4 Video Stream that is rendered in your browser in a variety of ways."

It uses Flash in my Firefox 5 and Chrome 12. Presumably that's because I have Flash plugins installed. Didn't Google announce they were ending support for native H.264?

Natural language and/or maths CAPTCHAs work for me.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

null

We need to just work out an alternative to captcha's full stop, not just 'improve' them. They are horrible things. Pretty much every time I come across one these days I sit here reload the damn thing until I can get one I can actually read.

I concur with the above about Google's Account captcha's too, I sadly work with a lot of these.

1. Jimbo in Thailand
      Facepalm

@null, a great big AAAA-MEEE-YUN!!! (i.e. - I agree whole heartedly)

CAPTCHAS have gotten so incredibly ridiculous these days I really wonder who they're actually targeting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds them very offensive. There has to be a better way to keep the bots at bay.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security-by-Obscurity

NuCaptcha Takes on Googles ReCaptcha -- Do Not Switch

http://captcha.biz/blog/2011/08/13/nucaptcha-takes-on-googles-recaptcha-do-not-switch.html

The article takes a look at design & implementation flaws from the security perspective, albeit written by competitor.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like