back to article Mango release rumours leave Nokia behind

It might not be just the Japanese who get to use Windows Phone 7.5, codenamed Mango, next month, as an international rollout is now being rumoured. Pocket-lint reckons "multiple trusted sources" have told it that on 1 September, Microsoft will start rolling out the new version of its mobile OS to existing, as well as new, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Love the ads.

Nokia offering cash prizes for apps for "the world's largest developer platform".

While I think it's very nice of 'em to support Apple with their money, I'm not sure that their altruism is required here.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Jilted at the altar...

So Nokia dumped everything (and everyone?) it had before, and threw itself starry-eyed into the waiting Ferrari of its new sugar-daddy, believing that all its dreams would be made to come true, and that they and only they were the one true love...

I guess Nokia has to learn the hard way that Microsoft is in it only for number one (no surprise there, and at least Redmond is honest about it), and that the Windows behemoth doesn't have partners, only collaborators. Why did a company like Nokia, with all the history and experience it can call upon, act like a naive teenager swept off her feet by a rich playboy, thinking that he cares for her and only her?

This is not going to end well for Nokia, and as someone who has owned (and yes, even liked) their handsets for over a decade, I am not enjoying the car-crash one bit... especially when it could so easily have been avoided.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eh?

"Doesn't have partners, only collaborators".

Grow up!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Grow up"?

"Collaborators" - you know, as in "co-workers" (albeit not necessarily of equal status in the relationship, which I admit I was implying)?

Or is there some hidden meaning of the word that I'm missing...?

1. fandom
          Devil

Alternatevely

You could have said that they don't have partners, just people they haven't betrayed yet.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Really?

Whenever I've seen people say collaborators before, it's been implying that the people/organisation in question is somehow committing treason.

People collaborate with.

Enemies are collaborators.

It's been like that since the 2nd world war, you must have noticed?

1. Manu T

Collaborators ins indeed the right term used.

In the past you had Windows Mobile smartphones and Symbian smartphones. Then came blackberry's, iPhones, Andorid and the lot.

So you either had Windows users or NON-windows users. Excactly like in the PC world but less balanced towards Microsoft. So if you didn't like Pocket PC/Windows Mobile, you bought a Nokia (or SE) Symbian phone.

That Nokia now turn to Microsoft as their sugardaddy is indeed PURE TREASON!!

They're litterally telling loyal supporters of European IT-products to fuck off.

Like I wrote before in another post. Nokia's Windows phones WILL NOT have any substancial advantage over other Windows-phones. I expect that at launch Nokia WP7-phones will have a 8Mpixel autofocus Carl-zeis cam-module while currently WP7-manufacturors are restricted to 5Mpixel snappers (some of dubious quality). But eventually other WP7-"partners" will equip their phones also with 8Mpixel snappers. And the advantage of buying a Nokia WP7-phone will be gone. So appart from the Carl Zeis logo and higher price tag eventually there's no reason to buy a Nokia WP7 phone over a lowly HTC 7 trophy (or its successor) or Samsung Omnia 7 (or its successor).

Just wait and see.

This WILL end bad for Nokia. The truth will be revealed by the end of the year. I bet that Microsoft only wants their paws on NavTeq (for as cheap as possible)! But hey, who am I?

3. ChrisF

Nope

The product manager said on Twitter that it's not coming out on the 1st.

1. Shaun 1

Shame

I already have a WP7 device so the sooner the better for me*

*I'm perfectly happy with it as it is, but I want the new features!

4. fishman

I finally figured it out

Nokia realized that they would get killed trying to compete in the Android market. And that Windows Phone was not going to be sucessful. But they knew that Microsoft was willing to dump billions into WP. With WP not doing well in the marketplace, the other smartphone makers would stop making WP phones, leaving Nokia as the main WP company. And if Nokia had any problems surviving on a tiny piece of the smartphone market, Microsoft would either just dump more money into Nokia, or buy Nokia outright.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Embrace, Extend, & Extinguish

Embrace

Yep. MS signs deal with Nokia. Nokia throws everything out and adopt MS platform lock stock and smoking sauna.

Extend

Yep Fully underway.

Extinguish

Not long now. The nokia share price will son be 10% of what it was a year ago. MS will buy them out for a pirrance and the name Nokia will disappear.

1. James Hughes 1

What about Google?

They need a patent portfolio (sadly), so if I were them, buying Nokia from underneath MS would be a good choice.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia Hardware

'Nokia will be entirely reliant on its new hardware to wow the market.'

That's not a bad bet to make - for all Nokia's blunders in software and services, their hardware has always tended to be good, save the odd N97-type skimping-on-the-memory fiasco.

Their global distribution should help get costs down too, so if Nokia can turn out a well-built phone at a cheap price, and they're all equal on the software front all running Mango, Nokia stand a good chance. Nokia has always tended to fall down on software, and since that's equal across the board now, Nokia's on home territory.

If Nokia can't get hardware right, they deserve to fail, because that's all they're good at really.

7. Mikel
    Megaphone

The wow stops now

Nonono. Mango's not the one you want. It's Tango. The next one. This one's just a sop to the screaming masses. These phones won't even RUN Tango. Different hardware requirements.

8. JDX Gold badge

Nokia as hardware only

All these other companies rely on their hardware alone, and have strong brands using Android, much as Nokia is using WM7. Even if MS bought Nokia, no way they would kill the brand because to my generation, Nokia IS the mobile phone...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Stupid is as stupid does

Even more galactically stupid brandname destructions have been executed in the past, and let's face it MS is a US company run by mono lingual people, most of whom do not even know that other countries exists and have never heard of NOKIA or owned a NOKIA phone.

Killing the NOKIA name is a no brainer for them. After all, they are MS.

Not saying they will do it, but I think the consumption of NOKIA is a foregone conclusion now, which means NOKIA as a tech company is dead essentially. Sad, but I expect the NOKIA brand to disappear pretty damned quickly after MS consume them, because the arrogance (and impertinence) of MS executives knows no bounds.

Dweeb

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like