back to article HTC sinks $309m into audio tech from Dr Dre

Handset maker HTC is buying a majority share of upmarket audio kit manufacturer Beats Electronics, promising to incorporate the Dr Dre-backed technology into handsets by the end of the year. The deal gives HTC just over half of the audio-technology supplier, which promises to deliver an improved sound experience, but the beats …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cameron Colley

Another reason not to buy HTC.

Not only are you paying Microsoft, but you're also paying for a Marketing company which dabbles in audio.

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

Sorry, what?

Every company does something that you might not exactly desire.

HTC still makes a fantastic smartphone, hence my last two handsets have been HTC.

I'm missing your point, unless you're aiming for some kind of retarded moral panic.

1. Danny 14

htc

always been close but not quite there. Granted my desire HD and the wife's Z have been great phones they have always been hampered by nagging issues - mainly shite batteries, cameras and not enough RAM.

The HD is up next month and its being replaced with a galaxy S2. Work colleague has one and it blows most other phones out of the water.

2. Cameron Colley

@Piro.

They're giving Microsoft a percentage of every Android sale -- effectively paying MS lawyers to undermine the platform. If you like Android you should probably consider what a bad idea that is. So, yes, some moral panic.

As for paying a hyped-up marketing company -- they're obviously more interested in "da yoof" than someone who wants a useful tool. That may, or may not, affect the standard of their phones in future -- but I'd say it doesn't bode well.

Also, surely not paying a company which does things you don't want is a logical step -- there's fuck all else you can do about it.

2. James 51

Title

Haven't apple proved time and again that cool can beat technology?

3. Gordon 10
    Paris Hilton

More to the point

Is there any evidence that Beats offers any technology usp other than the use of good quality components?

Afaik most of the the middle to high end differentiators are marketing led. Curious to know if my cynisism is justified.

4. blkbam
    Mushroom

chain reaction

i hope that HTC won't start making overpriced devices powered by Beats By Dr Dre backed by Monster Cable

5. Zog The Undeniable
    Mushroom

Buy these headphones!

Or I'll pop a cap in yo ass, playa-haters.

I'm not sure he's even a real doctor, y'know.

6. David Simpson 1
    FAIL

Dolby ?

So why is Beats better than Dolby ? My Desire HD sounds great thanks to the Dolby sound chip. Must be cheaper to buy into Beats than pay a license for Dolby chips. So really they are just replacing one reasonable sound chip with another.

1. Throatwobbler Mangrove

I don't think it's about the chip

It's just that everything sounds better in Dobly...

7. Steve 26
    FAIL

Speaker

How about putting a decent speakerin your phones instead?

8. UkForest
    Thumb Up

Damn Good...

I was in a BestBuy UK store (yes, I know. I'm sorry) with the OutLaw and we were offered a listen of the Beats Ipod speaker dock. It was phenomenal, and slightly better sound than Bose systems.

The one and only thing thank swayed us back to the portable Bose iPod dock was that the Beats dock looked like it should be in a 16 year olds bedroom rather than a 60 odd year old's lounge - the mother-in-law would've shot him if he'd have gone home with it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

"better sound than Bose systems"

Lofty heights indeed.

2. Slabfondler
      Mushroom

@UkForest - oh Rly?

Comparing Bose to Beats...thats like comparing a loose pile of sh*t to a watery pile of shi*t...both are still just crap.

9. Piloti
    Thumb Down

I know I am getting on but......

who the hell is Dr Dre ?

I know Dolby, or as they said in Tap, Dobly, but Dr Dre ?

It is not the tipping point for me, I'm sorry to say.

P.

1. Richard 22
      Stop

Dr Dre ain't exactly a spring chicken...

He started out in NWA in 1986, was instrumental in Eminem's early career, and he seems to be having something of a comeback at the moment.

1. Tony Proudlove
        Headmaster

Actually...

He started out in the World Class Wreckin' Cru in 1983. He's almost a 30 year veteran.

2. LoopyChew

One of the forefathers of modern rap.

As evidenced in the following riddle:

Q.: What's brown and rhymes with Snoop?

A.: Dre.

3. jason 7
      Coat

Hmm not sure...

..did he do that 'housey housey' music the kids liked in the 80s?

4. Fuzz

You must seriously be "getting on a bit"

Dr. Dre has been around since the 80s and has remained around ever since so either you're seriously getting old or you've had your head in a ditch for the past 25 years.

1. Piloti

Ditch mostly @fuzz

I'm a Pink Floyd / Led Zep' fan mostly. With over tones of Hawkwind and Tull. Uriah Heep and Gentle Giant are on the list. Mind you, it's not all 70's prog and rock: Keith Jarrett and John Coltrane do get regular listens.

SO it is a happy ditch......

5. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

title

Motherf***ers act like they forgot about Dre...

10. min

Dr Dolby Beats Dre.

the top of the range beats headphones are rather nice. i do not know how any of that will translate to smartphones, but we'll see. i currently have an HTC desire HD, and am pretty happy with it. i certainly would not rush to buy a new one based on what sound chip it contains.

perhaps this Kayne West guy can help us with the info. is he related to that jackass* called Kanye West

*this is the opinion of Barack Obama, and not myself. i think ht's a tw@t.

11. BamBam
    Facepalm

ANGRY

As an audio research engineer I can't help but feel angry every time I see groups of lads walking around with matching Beats headphones. For the same money (~£350) you can get top-of-the-range Sennheisers with mind-blowing sound quality, but all they're paying for are bass-heavy metal fashion statement with average-quality drivers and 99.99999% OFC gold-plated unicorn-hair-screened miracle cable.

1. hi_robb
      Mushroom

Completely agree with the 'ANGRY' post

Because it's true.

I was *stupid* and impatient enough to buy a set of 'Dr Meh' beats headphones a couple of months ago when I lost my Etymotics I'd been using for years. I wanted something I could pick up from the local shops on my way to the train station and Beats were as good as the shops had.

The reviews made em look good (though I didn't check too many), and they were certainly expensive and looked well made, so they must be good.

Bollox.

I'd describe the sound as like listening to an angry bumblebee trapped in a biscuit tin for the treble and midrange while an elephant fell over and had an epileptic fit beside you for the bass.

In short, complete and utter crap waste of money.

Needless to say I very quickly got rid of them and got something a bit better which were the Shure SE535s.

Dave

1. Slabfondler
        Happy

@hi_robb - I lost mine too...

in Paddington station long with a Sony Blue Tooth mic/transceiver. I bought some chapish buds to last until a set of Shure 315's arrived - now those are nice!

12. Darryl
    Mushroom

boombzzz boombzzz boombzzz boombzzz

Since most of the Beats brand stuff seems to be designed to sound like your typical 17 year old's car these days, with various pieces of metal buzzing in time with the subwoofer's booming, I'd think that HTC would be the perfect fit. Aren't they one of the few handset makers who use (mostly) metal casings on their phones?

Give me Sennheiser, Shure, Dolby, Bose, Koss, etc. any day of the week.

13. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

And yet

they've pulled the plug on their sponsorship of the most successful team in the pro cycling peloton? I'd never heard of HTC until Cav started winning a metric fuckton of races.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Dr. Meh and "NEETs" Audio...

Made the fatal mistake of buying a HP Laptop with BA built in... they'd replaced Altec Lansing, which the missus had in her old HP and has in her new Asus laptop, the sound quality of the Beats Audio stuff is SHITE and a major reason why I won't be buying another HP in the future... besides which the "Beats Audio Control Panel" interferes with everything and makes the audio function like a 16-year-old looter... no respect for anything!

I've managed to save the day somewhat with a spiffing pair of Denon headphones in the meantime, which don't sacrifice the top end in pursuit of heavyweight bass (which you still get with the Denons anyway).

The sooner this crap is rooted out of portable audio the better...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like