back to article NSW buckles: R18+ game rating clear for take-off

After abstaining from voting at a meeting of Australia’s attorneys-general over whether the country should introduce an R18+ rating for computer games, the government of NSW has decided to support the move. The NSW government has released a statement saying that cabinet has given in-principle support for the new rating. "Few …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Drug use?

"it’s almost certain that games depicting drug use, or games perceived as encouraging criminal activity, would still be refused classification"

...they say as I shoot my Fallout/2/3/NV characters up with enough opioids, amphetamines, steroids, cocaine and alcohol to kill a small town.

Oh right they're not known by those names in the games. That's alright then!

2. Lee T
    Childcatcher

its about time, but...

I'm not holding my breath - it'll probably be along the ACL's new line of "the same as ma15 but now we can say kids can't buy it"

3. Ted 3

Indeed, not before time

At last, some sanity!

However: "it’s almost certain that games depicting drug use...would still be refused classification, to keep them in line with how the classification system treats other content such as movies."

Like drug use is never depicted in the movies.

1. Adrian Esdaile
      IT Angle

Stuff the movies...

try the members enclosure at Randwick Racecourse any given Saturday!

The queue of 'fillies' waiting to get into the gents to 'powder their nose' is amazing to behold. Especially as a lot of the 'fillies' are daughters of politicians, business moguls, police, "prominent racing identities" (as we call criminals 'round here)....

Same old same old - one law for the ubermensch, one law for the rest of us....

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

No more nasty games for you young man

Fewer nasty games for you old man.

This will change little.

The xtian loonies still hold too much sway.

1. Tim Bates

Almost right.

You're correct that loonies hold too much sway... But please drop the assumption that it's related to any sort of religion. Any idiot can vote. And most of them do. Regardless of their beliefs (or lack thereof).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like